Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Suburban Denver County is the Best for a Young Middle-Class Family?
Adams County 0 0%
Arapahoe County 4 26.67%
Douglas County 3 20.00%
Jefferson County 5 33.33%
Boulder County 2 13.33%
Broomfield County 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 01:32 PM

31 posts, read 55,640 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the greater Denver area all my life. My cousin and his wife have always envied me, but he recently landed a job here in Downtown Denver, so they will be relocating in the next couple of months, with their two young children. They would prefer to live in the suburbs, (better schools, less expensive cost of living) but are debating which area they should relocate to. They have decided to pick a county first and go from there. Which county would you recommend and why? The far-flung exurbs (Elbert, Park, Clear Creek, Gilpin) are all a bit too far away, but I think Adams, Arapahoe, Douglas, Jefferson, Broomfield, or Boulder Counties would all be acceptable. I live in the suburbs, but I don't want to seem too biased towards my own county. They are fairly middle-class so certain expensive communities like the city of Boulder itself, Cherry Hills Village, or Parker aren't in their price range. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 01:49 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Jeffco or Arapahoe for ease of commute to downtown via light rail.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:56 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Arapahoe County for Cherry Creek Schools. DougCo is cheap, but faces massive water issues.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:15 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
None of the above for me.
Have lived in the City & County of Denver for 33 years.
Lived in Bonnie Brae neighborhood even with child.
I admit that I am a bigot.
I would just pick a house in the Slavens K-8 district.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:07 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Can you be a little more specific than "fairly middle class". How much could they afford to spend on housing? For instance, you referred to Parker as expensive but there are neighborhoods in Parker that aren't that expensive IMO.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:32 PM

450 posts, read 507,761 times
I'd go for Jeffco over Adams county. Westminster and Arvada are nice and pretty affordable. "Try to stay west of Sheridan" is the advise I was told many years ago (and it was good advise for us).

Old 12-19-2014, 12:11 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
This is kind of a weird question.

I like most of Jeffco, particularly where I live and most of it south and west of me, but I'm not too big on the portion of Jeffco north of me (I'm west of Sheridan between 64th/72nd).

The most redeemable parts of Adams County are further from Denver than I would like. Not much appeal besides cheaper house at the price of a commute. The part of Adams walking distance from me is ok.

Arapahoe County works for most people, it is a good balance. Much of it is too boring for me, and I say this as a former resident.

I would never live in Broomfield County. IMO there's nothing remarkable about it, aside from its uniform middle-classity.

As for the two ends of the spectrum (Boulder and Douglas), I'd live in Boulder if somebody paid me to, AND I had an unobstructed view of the Flatirons. I would live in Douglas if I had free refills on a 1,000,000 gallon water tank AND I didn't have to live near any of the people.

Denver County is aight. Too much rich or poor for my liking. I lived there for 5 years, and I'm still pretty bored with my old SE Denver hood when I go there. The parts I like wouldn't be "good for a young family", so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 AM

31 posts, read 55,640 times
I'm not sure why this is a weird question, narrowing it down to a county helps with purchasing real estate and picking a school district. Thanks for all the responses, I too live in Jeffco which seems popular.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I'd go with (and did go with) Stapleton. Suburban lifestyle, great amenities, great schools and easy access to downtown.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_the_Desert View Post
I'm not sure why this is a weird question, narrowing it down to a county helps with purchasing real estate and picking a school district. Thanks for all the responses, I too live in Jeffco which seems popular.
It's weird because look at this map of the counties:
Colorado County Map

They cover wide areas that vary vastly in types of neighborhoods, housing available and even water resources. There isn't much of a common denominator within a county that searching for housing by county makes sense. School districts don't fall along county lines either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver