Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:33 PM

384 posts, read 507,628 times

Advertisements

West Lakewood over by Green Mountain might work for some of the mountain biking needs. Besides the Green Mountain single track, you can ride at Red Rocks and the other parks just over the hog back (via Morrison or Dinosaur Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 04:09 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,582 times
If you are looking for mountain biking close to your house then HR isn't that great either. It's OK, but the great tracks that are close to subdivisions will be from Ken Caryl to Golden along 470. Boulder, where I live, has great trails, but they are up in the mountains and not great for a quick lunch time ride. The close stuff is limited and a bit boring. Don't get me wrong, it's way better than nothing!

A bit off topic, but in the fall cyclocross is really popular and fun, so remember to save enough money for one more bike.

Oh, and you'll want a fat bike for winter....

Old 12-23-2014, 04:52 PM

10 posts, read 12,898 times
ACL / MCL / Meniscus keeps off CX ... but I have a CX/Gravel bike for other adventures. My wife has a Crux CX, yep its a full shed.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 PM

325 posts, read 371,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmabiker View Post
Thanks for the feedback on Lowry and Stapleton. Unfortunately trails are just too far away. Contenders from a trails point of view are golden, Boulder, Littleton and highlands ranch. Castle rock is decent, but not quite there.

For an idea of the trails I'm looking for check out Mountain bike trails & Mountain bike reviews || Singletracks.com || SINGLETRACKS.COM and look for blue and black trails around Denver. Of particular interest is the Colorado trail.

Highlands Ranch is still the front runner. A lot can change in the next 5 years.
I recently moved to the Ken Caryl area. I'm still trying to understand what's going on with the schools. It's really difficult to ascertain exactly what the truth is. It seems like everyone either has a vested interest or a political interest and only present one side of the story. It's really hard to get to the bottom. Recently, Littleton had a big brou-haha over proposed curriculum and a proposed implementation of merit-based teacher pay. Honestly, I don't know what the truth is. As a middle-of-the-road independent, I'm pretty disgusted at how politicized our educational system seems at the moment. I teach at a local university and just reached out to a colleague, a professor and Dean of the Education Department, to give me an education on the truth of what's going on. So, I'll know more in a month or so. One thing she did say is to remember is that open enrollment allows you the chance to enroll your kids in schools other than your specific district. My daughter is only in kindergarten, but I've been really impressed with both the school and how invested parents are in their children's education and PTA.

As for the Ken Caryl area, you really couldn't ask for a better place for trails. Deer Creek Canyon is right around the corner, Red Rocks 10 minutes away, Golden 15 minutes away. The neighborhood is so, so friendly.

Here is some information my colleague passed along:

I would advise assessing schools of choice; you can choose the school that you feel is best, regardless if it is out of district. I did not have my kids in the local school, as I was moving to Littleton (we had not chosen a home at the time we needed to choose a school). We applied as out of district and everything worked out well. Here are several websites to help you in this process:

Find Colorado's best schools

Colorado School Choice Organizations

or the CDE website
Colorado Department of Education Home Page | CDE

General district information written for families and their realtors:
Denver Public Schools | Area Districts | A Guide to Public Education

Good luck with your choice and your move!

Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 AM

254 posts, read 513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
If you are looking for mountain biking close to your house then HR isn't that great either.
Just an FYI, HR has the Backcountry mountain biking trails, which have recently expanded: Maps They also offer a mountain bike race series: Mountain Bike Races These are in addition to the trails referenced above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver