Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 06:56 PM

29 posts, read 52,744 times

Advertisements

This most recent storm has convinced me that I'd probably be happier with snow tires. I've never really lived anywhere where it snowed so much before, so am pretty clueless about the whole thing. Where's a good place to buy them? Costco? And what should I be taking into consideration? My car is a 04 VW Golf if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 07:08 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Front only.
They are now called: Winter Tires. (Don't ask me why.)
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70

Old 01-01-2015, 07:10 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,115 times
You can get your tires pretty much anywhere. People have preferences, of course, but their experiences vary.

Some the big tire chains you can go to include: Discount, Big O, Pep Boys, Firestone, Goodyear, and Peerless.

Big box stores like Costco and Sears also dabble in tires.

Personally, the Big O by my house has everything I need and they have always given me great service.

Most importantly, you need to find out what the "out the door" price is on the phone before you go. The price of tires does not include tire disposal, mounting and balance, warranty, and taxes. Altogether, an $85 tire is really about $120 out the door.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:16 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,546,884 times
First, you will be much happier. Nothing compares to having the right tires.

I like Discount Tire. They will price match anybody, so shop around before you go in online at places like tirerack.com

One thing to consider is whether or not you want to get the tires mounted on another set of winter rims. If you plan on having the car for a while, this is a good idea. If you have them mounted on their own rims, it's free at Discount Tire to swap them. Otherwise it's going to cost you $50 twice a year when you switch your tires.

As for particular tires to get, I have run Goodyear, Nokian, and Bridgestone snows. I've been pretty pleased with all of them. I think the Bridgestone Blizzack is a great bang for the buck. Nokian is the gold standard.

Definitely do not get a studded tire unless you live somewhere like Leadville. There is nothing better than studs on ice, but the new rubber compounds and tread designs on the non studded snows are really good and better than studs on the non snowy days.

I own two AWD vehicles. Both get snow tires. AWD doesn't help you stop.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 01-01-2015 at 08:30 PM..

Old 01-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Front only.
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
So wrong. Never front only. Never. Any tire store employee that would let you do this should be fired. As he is turning a corner and watches his back end pass his front end, he'll know why.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:21 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,115 times
Quote:
Front only.
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
Would not advise this at all.

Doing this increases the likelihood of the back end of the car spinning out, especially around corners or sudden stops.

Check out this video.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:35 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
OK.
Some people don't like my 2 wheel answer.
Sorry.
I have never bought snow tires.
Lived in New England in the 60s and 70s with front and rear wheel drive cars: no snow tires.
Lived here for 33 years: no snow tires.
I just don't see the need.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
OK.
Some people don't like my 2 wheel answer.
Sorry.
I have never bought snow tires.
Lived in New England in the 60s and 70s with front and rear wheel drive cars: no snow tires.
Lived here for 33 years: no snow tires.
I just don't see the need.
To paraphrase Mark Rippetoe....

When brain surgery, string theory, the NFL draft, women's dress sizes, or white wine is being discussed, I remain quiet. When snow tires are being discussed, I have a lot of experience and what I think is a very well formed opinion so I will chime in.

You can't possibly know what you're missing without experience. It's night and day difference and frankly a safety precaution that more people should take in Denver.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:15 PM

123 posts, read 180,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
To paraphrase Mark Rippetoe....

When brain surgery, string theory, the NFL draft, women's dress sizes, or white wine is being discussed, I remain quiet. When snow tires are being discussed, I have a lot of experience and what I think is a very well formed opinion so I will chime in.

You can't possibly know what you're missing without experience. It's night and day difference and frankly a safety precaution that more people should take in Denver.
I cannot agree more. It is night and day difference. The idea to have the snow tires mounted on their own rims is really good. This is exactly what I have. My tires are Latitude X-Ice Xi2 and my wife has the Xi3. Very good grip on snow and very quiet when the roads are clear. Also good durability compared to some other tires with softer compound.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 PM

996 posts, read 1,234,876 times
Do some research on tirerack.com.

If your current car has nice wheels or you're going to be in Colorado a long time you might want to look at getting winter wheels to go with your winter tires. Mounting and dismounting tires twice a year can chew up your wheels. Also the chemicals for ice melting can damage your wheels if you're not diligent in keeping them clean.

Sooooo ... I just saw sky dog's post ... what he said !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver