Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:08 PM

18 posts, read 23,848 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions

We are a family of three; my husband, myself (both in our late 20s) and a 13 month old. My husband accepted an opportunity in Denver and we are looking for a rental in Broomfield or surrounding areas. We wouldn't be opposed to renting in Denver but I didn't think we could afford it. What we're really looking for is a safe area that has access to parks or recreation areas as I'll most likely be staying home with our daughter. Close proximity to shops, restaurants, etc is a plus too. We can spend 1700 a month on rent but ideally closer to 1100/1200. We don't need a huge place- under 1000 Sq feet would be plenty. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
There are many parts of Denver and the surrounding metro area that meet your criteria. It would be most helpful if you could give us a more specific location for your husband's job, such as major cross streets. Then we could better guide you to areas that would be a reasonable commute.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the response- he'll be working near Broadway and 54th ave?

Old 01-09-2015, 08:28 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
Ugh, such a bad area to commute to. He is 3 blks from the bus stop. He could walk the 3 blocks and I wouldn't think it would be dangerous except it probably doesn't have many other people walking so would be isolated. I wouldn't recommend it unless he looks like a tough guy.

Need a little more detail for apt. help.

Do you want 2 bdrm?

Do you want nature & shopping in walking distance or is one or the other OK to drive to? Which is more important.

Do you like a more dense feel (lots of shopping, other buildings nearby) or a more open feel (open spaces but not much in sight)?

Is your husband commuting on normal hours or does he commute off hours? Is he planning to drive or take the bus? RTD route 8 will get him from Wagon Road on 120th to 51st ave in 35 min. Which is a long time for this route but driving it during commute hours will be teeth grinding frustration. Driving he will be getting off at 58th. If it were me I'd drive and get books on CD or tape and just decide to sit in traffic. Unfortunately when the rail line opens in 3 yrs that won't help either.

Last edited by mic111; 01-09-2015 at 08:37 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 09:01 PM

So ideally 2 bedroom
Nature in walking distance is more important than shopping being in close proximity
More open feel

To give you an idea of what I've found so far that look appealing:

The Highline at Cherry Creek
Terracina Apartments in Broomfield

Seem to be the same distance from work but from what you're saying, Broomfield might be a better commute?

I think he'll be commuting normal hours driving .

Old 01-09-2015, 09:02 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
54th and Broadway is NOT Denver. It is unincorporated Adams County.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:05 PM

The Highline at Cherry Creek is off Yale and I-25. He would be crossing downtown to get to work. This area is older. Not bad but not upscale either. It would not be my choice as I don't think there is anything special to make an across downtown commute worth it. If the job was near there then that would be different.

Terracina is basically in an open bare field. I wouldn't say there was much nature to enjoy there. You are very close (short drive) to a big enclosed mall (Flat Irons) and alot of attached shopping. I don't think there would be anything to do in walking distance. I think you would have to drive to find nature. Commute would be down 36 to I-25 to 58th. I think 36 is under permanent construction for bus rapid transit and maybe a toll lane. I don't drive it much so don't stay up on it's issues. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I'm most familiar with the north area so will discuss a few options up that way.

If you wanted to go to the top of your price range I would say to look at Bradburn Row Aparments.
Bradburn Row-Westminster
The pics. are misleading. They are attached to a faux old time but yet brand new Victorian/Prairie development. Super cute. Lots of new moms. There are trails with water (such that we have in CO) right behind the development which is very close because all the lots are tiny. Westminster's Big Dry Creek Trail goes for many miles north and south from there. You can walk across this nice open space to the library (kid activities). You can walk to grocery (Sprouts/Whole Foods/Walmart), shopping and restaurants. Husband would take 120th East to I-25 and then South to 58th. Miserable commute on I-25 but I think there is no non-miserable option with his work location. You could easily exist in this location with one car.

Promenade at Hunters Glen has a small lake to walk around. Is in a suburban area (no walkable shopping) but everything in a very short drive. If you have 2 cars this would be a good choice to save money over Bradburn. Just to the east of here is EastLake Shores Park. Great area to walk around. Trails from here connect through greenbelts in the neighborhood which are very nice to walk along.
Promenade at Hunter's Glen Apartments, 12801 Lafayette St., Thornton, CO 80241 - Home

Red Hawk Ranch is behind a shopping/restaurant area with Sprouts and Target. So some shopping in walking distance. There is open space next to it but it is basically an open field so not that interesting.
Red Hawk Ranch - Apartments in Thornton, CO

If you see something else you have questions on in this area just post them. These 3 are the ones that I can think of with the items you were looking for.

I'm not too familiar with the neighborhoods directly west of there that may off a non freeway commute. Maybe someone else can chime in if there are good options. Something like this looks nice but really need to get input from someone that knows that area:
6865 Xavier Cir UNIT 5, Westminster, CO 80030 is For Rent - Zillow

Old 01-09-2015, 11:16 PM

450 posts, read 507,841 times
The one apt. complex I can recommend is Remington West in Westminster. (That was our launching pad when we first moved to CO.)
The area puts you less than a mile from the entrance ramp to HWY 36. Easy commute to both Denver and Boulder, plus there are parks, good schools, shopping, dining, bars etc. within a <1-2 mile radious. A "Park-n-Ride" located near the Promenade is a great option if you want to use public transportation to get to work and back (or to head downtown for a night out).

Old 01-10-2015, 06:18 AM

Thanks everyone! Glad I found this site

Old 01-10-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
The one apt. complex I can recommend is Remington West in Westminster.
That is an interesting option as it gives them the ability to go south on Wadsworth/Sheridan/Federal and then east on 64th or some other stair step choice to get him to work. Nice to have a work around the major freeways because they are generally so bad. Good input! Could save sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver