Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM

556 posts, read 762,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Exactly!

OP, as far as infant care goes it isn't cheap. It has been a couple of years since we had our child in daycare but when we left she was 5 and we were still paying $1,200 a month. It is much higher the younger they are.

I love Highlands Ranch and everything it offers. I too came from California. You won't need a shrink as Davebarnes says. It is very family oriented and there are a million things to do. You will hear Highlands Ranch get a bad rap from a lot of the Natives but I just tune that out.

Davidv has valid points about the problems with the Douglas County School District. Some schools are hurting more than others. So far my daughter is thriving at her school but that doesn't mean there aren't problems behind the scenes. The district is losing great teachers because of the turmoil. Here are a couple of links to give you an idea on why there are problems in the district.

https://www.dcsdk12.org/legal-counse...arship-program
DCSD in the News
Thank you for the feedback! We're paying about $1,450 a month in day care right now, so the costs seem to be in line / a little cheaper than what we are accustomed too, so that's good.

I understand that people don't like the cookie cutter style of Highlands Ranch but that doesn't bother me at all. It has a nice clean aesthetic and reminds me of Irvine (for the former CA folks) which makes sense since I think it was planned by the Irvine Company.

The news regarding the school district is a bit concerning though to be honest. When people say the schools are declining, just how bad is it? For instance, it is more of a "hey this used to be better, what happened?!?!" or "There is no way I'm sending my kid to school here." Because where I live in LA is definitely in the ""There is no way I'm sending my kid to school here" category (Los Angeles Unified School District is absolutely atrocious).

In reading some articles from those links (thank you), why aren't the school board members voted out if the population find them so ineffective? I feel as though I am missing something here. Thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 AM

384 posts, read 507,768 times
I only mention the west side of Lakewood, because that's what I know and I like it, but basically you could be looking anywhere from HR north to Golden and you'll find something that is EXACTLY what you need. Schools would be generally be of similar quality - with liberal use of the word GENERALLY.

South side of Green Mountain has nice parts and isn't too bad getting downtown if she winds up working there. North side of GM is also really pretty and quick highway access - and some great views if you get the right place. If you are in HR and she works downtown, that could be an annoying commute. Depending on where exactly you are, it may involve I25, or Santa Fe, neither of which seem fun to me

Solterra is a very new community, but may not meet your needs as yards are tight. Going straight east of there is a nice neighborhood. South of Alameda, West of Bear Creek. To me, that could be right up your alley. BUT, I'll note again, there are hundreds of pockets of nice in the suburbs. Just keep looking around until something feels like home.

And if that's Highlands Ranch - well then Welcome!! I spend a lot of time there, most of my friends live there and it appears to be a good place to raise a family. My knock on it - I'd have to get up at 5:30am to go skiing on a Saturday or Sunday. Now I can get up at 6:15 and still get ahead of the people from HR/LoneTree/Parker in the traffic heading up I-70.

Daycare costs out here generally run $45 to $55 a day. I'd go with $1000-$1200 per child for daycare if you are making a predictive budget. We started our kids in a private in-home (licensed) facility and then moved them to a pre-school and the pricing is similar.

Also, remember that you are likely to PAY for full day kindergarten. Only half day is free, they charge $300-$400 a month (during school time) for full day kindergarten. There are some free full-day public schools, but those don't seem prevalent in the more affluent neighborhoods.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire S. View Post
Honestly, there isn't another suburb like Highlands Ranch in the metro area. You've already mentioned Littleton, Ken Caryl, and Lone Tree. You could consider Castle Rock, but it puts you further south. The northern suburbs are a bit of a different flavor, though Broomfield seems to be quite popular. West Arvada might also have some appeal for you.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll take a look in to these cities. Much appreciated!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I think Highlands Ranch is a great fit for you. But should your wife get a job in Boulder or on the north side you might want to look at Anthem. It has lots of trails for your wife to run. Isn't near anything sketchy. Has its own rec. center and pool. Good schools. Excellent mountain views from the area.
Anthem Colorado | New Homes in Broomfield
Thank you! I'll put that down on the list

Old 01-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
I only mention the west side of Lakewood, because that's what I know and I like it, but basically you could be looking anywhere from HR north to Golden and you'll find something that is EXACTLY what you need. Schools would be generally be of similar quality - with liberal use of the word GENERALLY.

South side of Green Mountain has nice parts and isn't too bad getting downtown if she winds up working there. North side of GM is also really pretty and quick highway access - and some great views if you get the right place. If you are in HR and she works downtown, that could be an annoying commute. Depending on where exactly you are, it may involve I25, or Santa Fe, neither of which seem fun to me

Solterra is a very new community, but may not meet your needs as yards are tight. Going straight east of there is a nice neighborhood. South of Alameda, West of Bear Creek. To me, that could be right up your alley. BUT, I'll note again, there are hundreds of pockets of nice in the suburbs. Just keep looking around until something feels like home.

And if that's Highlands Ranch - well then Welcome!! I spend a lot of time there, most of my friends live there and it appears to be a good place to raise a family. My knock on it - I'd have to get up at 5:30am to go skiing on a Saturday or Sunday. Now I can get up at 6:15 and still get ahead of the people from HR/LoneTree/Parker in the traffic heading up I-70.

Daycare costs out here generally run $45 to $55 a day. I'd go with $1000-$1200 per child for daycare if you are making a predictive budget. We started our kids in a private in-home (licensed) facility and then moved them to a pre-school and the pricing is similar.

Also, remember that you are likely to PAY for full day kindergarten. Only half day is free, they charge $300-$400 a month (during school time) for full day kindergarten. There are some free full-day public schools, but those don't seem prevalent in the more affluent neighborhoods.
Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated on this as well! I'll put Lakewood down on the list of places to check out It's nice to know there are things outside of the Southern suburbs in the event my wife works in downtown or somewhere not in the south (Denver Tech I'm looking at you).

Old 01-13-2015, 11:00 AM

384 posts, read 507,768 times
Without going on a long rant against these highly misguided board members who have unnecessarily politicized our school board, I will say MY feeling is it's more "it could be better, why are they messing this up" versus "never sending my kid there." At least that's my personal thoughts on DougCo and JeffCo.

Their priorities don't align with mine (ie, vouchers, AP History review, charter schools, antagonistic attitude toward teachers).

Old 01-13-2015, 12:53 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,613,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
Without going on a long rant against these highly misguided board members who have unnecessarily politicized our school board, I will say MY feeling is it's more "it could be better, why are they messing this up" versus "never sending my kid there." At least that's my personal thoughts on DougCo and JeffCo.

Their priorities don't align with mine (ie, vouchers, AP History review, charter schools, antagonistic attitude toward teachers).
I completely agree. I have no problem (right now) sending my daughter to school in Highlands Ranch. There are still great teachers in the district.

OP, I also don't mind the cookie cutter look and feel. My house is definitely cookie cutter.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Thank you for the feedback! We're paying about $1,450 a month in day care right now, so the costs seem to be in line / a little cheaper than what we are accustomed too, so that's good.

I understand that people don't like the cookie cutter style of Highlands Ranch but that doesn't bother me at all. It has a nice clean aesthetic and reminds me of Irvine (for the former CA folks) which makes sense since I think it was planned by the Irvine Company.

The news regarding the school district is a bit concerning though to be honest. When people say the schools are declining, just how bad is it? For instance, it is more of a "hey this used to be better, what happened?!?!" or "There is no way I'm sending my kid to school here." Because where I live in LA is definitely in the ""There is no way I'm sending my kid to school here" category (Los Angeles Unified School District is absolutely atrocious).

In reading some articles from those links (thank you), why aren't the school board members voted out if the population find them so ineffective? I feel as though I am missing something here. Thanks for the feedback!
We tried to vote them out in the 2013 election but there were way too many non-parent conservatives in the district that voted for the current board. Parents that were conservative tried to vote them out. I know this because I talked to a lot of the parents and teachers as the election got closer.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:58 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
I've heard some good things about Stapleton with the exception of it being near some sketchy areas. Also, that price point is higher than I would prefer to pay.
People who are looking for something like Highlands Ranch generally don't care for Stapleton. Small lots and liberal (HR is in the most conservative part of the metro area, if that matters to you). So it's not for everyone.

I personally like it because it's about as non-cookie cutter as new development can be, and we're close to old neighborhoods and all the amenities of urban Denver. I don't think I would like being "buried" in the far flung suburbs among strip malls and chain stores everywhere. At least with Stapleton, we can head 10 minutes to the east and find tons of urban, non-chain restaurants. Or be at the zoo in 10 min.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
People who are looking for something like Highlands Ranch generally don't care for Stapleton. Small lots and liberal (HR is in the most conservative part of the metro area, if that matters to you). So it's not for everyone.

I personally like it because it's about as non-cookie cutter as new development can be, and we're close to old neighborhoods and all the amenities of urban Denver. I don't think I would like being "buried" in the far flung suburbs among strip malls and chain stores everywhere. At least with Stapleton, we can head 10 minutes to the east and find tons of urban, non-chain restaurants. Or be at the zoo in 10 min.
I have never been to Stapleton. Might have to drive out there to take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver