Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 10:45 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,555,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
The JITB's in AZ are doing fairly good, they're going retro with the burger baskets like its 1950 again. Maybe it's the E-coli stigma that some people can't forget.
It may be that. They were gone for a long time here and then made a comeback about 10 years ago. I grew up in San Diego where they were everywhere. I used to love their greasy tacos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 10:47 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,555,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Trying to understand the mentality of whatever team at In N Out corporate that spearheaded the expansion into Colorado, I am going to assume that either Denver has a dearth of good fast food burger options, or In N Out is confident they can coast on the hyper inflated word-of-mouth reputation alone.

Unless there is a salient difference between a grinder and a sub (note: there is not), smart business would say to call your product what the consumer expects as confusion inhibits sales.

Also, it does the average worker behind the counter a real favor so that they are not spending the majority of their shift answering questions like, "What's a grinder?" and "Why do you guys call it a grinder?"

Where I grew up, they were called 'wedges', two miles away they were called 'heros' within a couple hours drive 'subs', 'grinders', and 'hoagies' make their appearances. It is good that there is a generic word like 'sub'.
At the end of the day they are all sandwiches. I love a good sammich.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:08 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,391,037 times
Can't wait.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:51 AM

6,360 posts, read 11,812,255 times
Quote:
Trying to understand the mentality of whatever team at In N Out corporate that spearheaded the expansion into Colorado, I am going to assume that either Denver has a dearth of good fast food burger options, or In N Out is confident they can coast on the hyper inflated word-of-mouth reputation alone.

Unless there is a salient difference between a grinder and a sub (note: there is not), smart business would say to call your product what the consumer expects as confusion inhibits sales.

Also, it does the average worker behind the counter a real favor so that they are not spending the majority of their shift answering questions like, "What's a grinder?" and "Why do you guys call it a grinder?"

Where I grew up, they were called 'wedges', two miles away they were called 'heros' within a couple hours drive 'subs', 'grinders', and 'hoagies' make their appearances. It is good that there is a generic word like 'sub'.
There is no shortage of burger places in town, from low end to high end. Most of the national chains are around and some local chains are here too which I am hoping the coming of the big hype doesn't hurt too much such as Larkburger and Good Times. About the only other big burger names lacking in the area are Whataburger, Checkers and Shake Shack.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 3,830 times
Shake Shack already announced they are coming and building in the RiNo district of Denver first....

I for one am ecstatic about them (well In-N-Out specifically, but Shake Shack too) coming to Denver. I completely agree with the synopsis previously stated: They are a fast food burger and quality is subjective. But for the price, freshness, simplicity, quality, and thus value, it is very hard to beat IMO. Interestingly I also love Chic-Fil-A, which is currently my #1 quick food joint in CO. And I do agree that Drifters in Colorado Springs has been the best in this regard, and closest to InO around.

To speak to subjectivity, it's hilarious....I don't mind Freddy's, Good Times on the quick / low end in Colorado, nor Five Guys, Smashburger, etc on the middle level, but I 100% take InO over all of those in general. Wendy's crushes McDonald's for me on the big chains, and Burger King is BY FAR the worst. As for others, I've been impressed with Shake Shack so far (twice), Whataburger is decent/good but somewhat overpriced and extremely overrated by their fanatics, and I don't get the crazy (IMO) love for Carl's Jr / Hardee's - never have thought their burgers were very good. Again, all subjective, and people have wildly varying tastes....

I too do hope that places like Larkburger, who I very much do enjoy, don't get squeezed out too much by this....

Last edited by zenace33; 12-01-2017 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-01-2017, 02:23 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,267,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
North Jersey maybe? I grew up in south Jersey, near Philly, and they were most certainly hoagies.
Grinder is more of a New England term, as well as the Albany, NY area.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:58 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,803,582 times
Quote:
I am going to assume that either Denver has a dearth of good fast food burger options
It has a dearth of fast food options in general, especially of the small chain/mom-pop variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Jack has failed yet again here in Colorado. The few locations I know of have closed. The one in Highlands Ranch turned into a Raising Cane's which is another highly over rated crap hole.
All of the ones up here are still going strong. I had it for lunch today.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:28 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,793,810 times
Denver has some of the best burgers I've ever had in my life, so In N' Out isn't all that much in comparison.

I've had burgers at bars during happy hours of better quality over In N' Out at dive bars (yes, dive bars people). Hell, even flying in first class to New York-JFK on Delta for lunch a few times the burger option catered out of DIA was better than most high end burger fast-food places like Five Guys. People were like "you flew first class and all they served was a burger?" I said to them, "Catered out of Denver - don't knock it, you'd be surprised how good it was." The quality of beef in Colorado is just superior to most places.

Set expectations accordingly. Not going to lie, In N' Out is pretty good but I've lost interest with them over the years. Californians will talk it to death much like East Coast people will talk up White Castle. The price point is still hard to beat though at both places.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:16 AM

6,648 posts, read 9,191,520 times
Quote:
It may be that. They were gone for a long time here and then made a comeback about 10 years ago. I grew up in San Diego where they were everywhere. I used to love their greasy tacos.
I live near the Jack in the Box in Golden and it was closed for a few months. It then reopened but with weird hours, but it may be 24 hours again now at this point. Not really sure what happened, but I’ve always thought that particular store is in an odd location; not a lot of traffic at night and not really within walking distance from anything other than the two hotels that are in the shopping plaza with it. When I lived in CA, we used to get Jack in the Box after a night out at the bar.

Re: In N Out, it’s great for people who are excited about it! Personally, if I have to choose a fast food chain I’d love to see in Colorado, it’s Whataburger. I was in Albuquerque a few months ago and was surprised to see Whataburger there!

Old 12-02-2017, 09:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,462,437 times
Quote:
I disagree. I grew up with them and I would take their burger over any other fast food burger in Southern California. To each their own.
Even Original Tommy's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver