Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 02:04 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Probably should not air dirty laundry..... but as a Stapleton resident, I will readily admit there is a fair amount of property crime here due to the surrounding neighborhoods. Ironically, I once witnessed a theft of 3 sets of golf clubs that was perpetrated by 3 kids whom I'm fairly certain were Stapleton residents. DPD continuously asserts that the overwhelming majority of these crimes are without forced entry and usually from people leaving garage doors open etc, which just encourages thieves to keep coming back. There's some other recent events that are a bit more concerning as well.

Having said that, I have lived in upper middle class neighborhoods in other cities that also had a lot of property crime. Easy pickings will always attract that.
That's all true. I recently checked the Denver PD crime map to compare to other areas, and Stapleton overall isn't any worse than Lowry or Wash Park. South Park Hill was surprisingly lower crime, but then Colfax through there is a lot nicer (not all the crack motels). Lock your house/garage and don't leave your car in the street with stuff in it and you're fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree that there is too much crime in Stapleton, although at least it is almost all the type you described. What I think is not at all clear is that different sections of Stapleton are insulated from this unfortunate trend.

The most recent crime stats show that aside from the commercial districts (not surprisingly), the rest of Stapleton is pretty much the same in terms of rates.

http://www.denvergov.org/LinkClick.a...370&mid=501723
The WalMart is the highest crime area. What a shock Another reason why I don't go there.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Reunion or High Point are close by and mostly new construction. Brighton isn't too far and out by the highway its mostly newer construction. Space might be the only thing hard to come by, lots are not going to be the size of houses from the 80s and before. It will take 10-20 years to build these areas out so it won't feel crowded for awhile.

Small town feel? Forget about it, this is a major city. People rave here about "small town" feel for places like Arvada and Littleton and those are just 2-3 block old town stretches next to busy transit stops in what are otherwise normal suburban cities. Brighton has one of those too, but you won't exactly mistake the city as a whole for a quaint midwestern town.
One thing I've noticed about metro Denver is that there really aren't quaint, small towns surrounding it. It's like there's absolutely nothing, then a fairly distinct line where you hit built-up suburbs and then it's solid built up through the metro area. Unless you consider Byers to be a quaint, small town lol!

Old 01-29-2015, 02:13 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The WalMart is the highest crime area. What a shock Another reason why I don't go there.
That's funny and sadly true of a lot of Walmarts. They tend to be crime hotspots. I consider Walmart to be a bad neighbor for that reason.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:16 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,284,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
One thing I've noticed about metro Denver is that there really aren't quaint, small towns surrounding it. It's like there's absolutely nothing, then a fairly distinct line where you hit built-up suburbs and then it's solid built up through the metro area. Unless you consider Byers to be a quaint, small town lol!
Bennet or Watkins may be an option as small/tiny town if commute to work is the only priority.
Coming to Denver regularly/weekends adds little bit drive but they are really tiny towns/villages so rent will be cheap.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:31 PM

371 posts, read 493,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post

Another option is Reunion in Commerce City or Brighton.
I think this is actually the best option. Close to airport. Doesn't feel "small town" but is quiet. Low crime. Yards aren't huge, but are adequate (hint: to get a bigger yard, look for a SPACES home built right around 2010 in the 104th and Landmark area...they were built on plots meant for higher end, larger homes, but due to market demand they were filled w/ these smaller, slightly less expensive homes).

Tradeoff: Schools aren't rated the greatest.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Bennet or Watkins may be an option as small/tiny town if commute to work is the only priority.
Coming to Denver regularly/weekends adds little bit drive but they are really tiny towns/villages so rent will be cheap.
Yes, but when I think "quaint small town", I think more along the lines of Georgetown. Bennet or Watkins, from what I've seen, are about a half step above a trailer park.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:08 PM

56 posts, read 84,717 times
I would also say Reunion. 15 minute commute to DIA. Quiet, safe, new homes. Yards not huge, but definitely not claustrophobic like Stapleton, and there are some big ones to be found. Very family and dog friendly. Parks, trails, rec center, awesome new grocery store. Easy to meet people out walking or at community events. Some school issues, but it seems those are everywhere. You'd have to research that to make a decision. Parents are starting to get very involved and I hope that will help. Drives to downtown, zoo, and DMNS are good compared to other suburbs too.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:19 PM

56 posts, read 84,717 times
Forgot to add property taxes are high in Reunion. Home prices more affordable than other parts of the metro area though.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:09 PM

67 posts, read 136,399 times
Ok thanks again for the ideas. Checked out Reunion and Green Valley Ranch but I don't think those will work for us.

I think we're on track for Parker or Lafayette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver