Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times

Advertisements

And I mean the Highland neighbourhood off Speer Blvd, not Highlands Ranch. Is Highland a good area? Up and coming or deteriorating? Is it a safe area to live and shop? I see a lot of houses there that look cute but have bars on the doors and windows. Is that a leftover from previous issues or is there still a good reason to have them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
And I mean the Highland neighbourhood off Speer Blvd, not Highlands Ranch. Is Highland a good area? Up and coming or deteriorating? Is it a safe area to live and shop? I see a lot of houses there that look cute but have bars on the doors and windows. Is that a leftover from previous issues or is there still a good reason to have them?
I have been in this area many times. Many years ago it was a sort of rough area; relative to other areas in Colorado--but not in my terms because I grew up in the east coast. I have driven through it many times, walked and biked a few times. Yes, the bars are considered necessary by some, in this area, because the area could be somewhat spicy at times. Is it a safe area?? I think it has some very hidden streets with poor sight and lighting to discourage crime. With more people outside, more shops, more buses, it would make it a safer area. However, now-- I would not consider it walkable at certain hours. For me, it would not matter; I have seen a lot worse. In addition, I am a big ugly person, who miscreants tend to avoid, because I look more dangerous. If I was a female, I would take caution in this area at night.

Today, there are big changes with it being re-discovered with new housing, new restaurants, though there were always some nice places.I think the real stimulus is the completing of the Highland Pedestrian Bridge on Central and 16th. This has caused the building of new condos. It has really given a new neighborhood to downtown with easy bike and pedestrian traffic to the platte parks.

The problem with the area, as it always was, is that this part of Federal is troublesome with cruising. Going south of Federal it is even worse near the Football stadium (real trash) which does nothing for the area--as the baseball stadium did. Going North on Federal, it is nicer near Rocky Mountain Lake but gets worse as Federal moves from the city to unincorporated Adams County which has some serious zoning problems.

In addition, Highland has not developed an area of shops. The nearest area would be along Federal and if you cross to downtown--the shopping along the Platte is not fully developed for basic shopping needs.

I think as West Highland, which is the area West of Federal further develops, you will see spillover into Highland. In addition, the closeness to downtown of Highland will see more housing and hopefully with this, more shops will open.
West Highlands is a much better and developed area.

There is one good news in the Platt that King Soopers is planning a Grocery at the Denargo Market site. This should stimulate real basic shopping.

Another big change will come with Fastracks. The West Line will have a station on Federal near the Gulch, which should help the area--but it is a very bad area. I think the station on the Gold Line near 38th and Fox will be more of an impetus for better growth. The Gold Line Station on Federal in Adams county may start a redevelopment of this decayed part of Federal.

I see another big improvement coming with the redevelopment of the St. Anthony Hospital site, when the hospital relocates to the Federal Center. This is conjunction with the new station near this area on the West Line will lead a change in the area.

These areas I am talking about are not in Highland but maybe, just maybe they will have some effect on the area but it will be many years in the future.

The immediate effect of the area will be the built out of the Platte and new shopping which Highland is very near. In addition more growth in West Highland will see more immediate betterment of the area, if the area along Federal is also redeveloped and improved because it acts as a separation between the two Highlands.

I think an investment in this area will eventually pay and it will become a nice close-in neighborhood of Downtown. But like all areas like this, once that happens it will become very expensive.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-08-2008 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 07:09 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
Highland has really changed, particularly East Highland. It wasn't too long ago (maybe 10 years ago) that East Highland in particular was dodgy. West Highland was on the up and up, but East Highland was scary for most. Back then, a few urban pioneers lived there because it was in a great location, but they definitely put bars on their windows. In return, the houses were really inexpensive and they could walk to downtown.

Flash forward till today. The urban pioneer types looking for an edgy neighborhood with grit have moved on -- it's not really edgy or gritty any more. The neighborhood has been taken over by the "Highland Mommies" -- a mommies club boasting literally hundreds of active members. There is still some crime, but not really any more than other popular Denver neighborhoods like Congress Park, Baker, West Wash Park, etc.

On the other hand, it's become really expensive, at least compared to how it was just a few years ago. It's still relatively affordable compared to Wash Park but it's really caught up in the last year. I think Jefferson Park (just south of East Highland) had the highest appreciation rate in the Metro area last year. In fact, it seems to me that in the last 2 years East Highland has become THE trendy place, with virtually every vacant lot having a proposal for more lofts. Retail seems to be following, though a bit slower, compared to West Highland. Still, the difference between a year or so ago is huge.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Tfox is right. There has been big changes in one year--it is stunning to see. Yes, I think retail will follow fast because of the income that the "new rich" bring into the neighborhood. That development would have to spill over on Federal, as it is the business district.

Livecontent

Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,967 times
Tfox and Livecontent are both dead-on. I work with several people who live in the Highland district and absolutely love it. The grit has worn off (perhaps there's a corner or two that still exist) and a new generation has settled. There are a number of small festivals in the area during the spring, summer and fall. I don't know the area well myself, but from what I hear, it is reminiscent of Boulder on a tiny scale. The district is vibrant and ecclectic.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 AM

249 posts, read 1,030,041 times
I live in East Highland and really like it. I love my neighbors and they vary from large families in which only the young kids speak English to very outdoorsy single men and couples with families and some lesbian couples. The homes are also varied with victorians, new construction duplexes, bungalos, etc... There is a great sense of community, in part, probably due to all that is happening in the neighborhood. It seems once a month there are signs some new business or restaurant is coming in and we all chatter about that with our neighbors. It really is very close to downtown (I can easily walk home after one drink too many). And, I do walk by myself sometimes in my particular neighborhood, but my cute doggie comes along. I feel very very safe in the Potter Highland area. There are few rentals and it feels very stable. I expect the area to appreciate a great deal because it is really just starting to get nice. My guess is there is a lot more positive growth to come. In the 3 years I've lived here there are easily 10 great new businesses coming in that have really made the area great. I think the bars on the windows are from 10 or more years ago, but break ins are rare. I have a friend or two in the area who have had break ins, though. I love Commons Park down by Zengo and REI. There's a great river running through it and it's very easy to strike up a conversation with people there. New places in the hood to check out are Gelmans, Pasquini (there's putting in a bar next door in the next month or so), Tacqueria Patzquaro (they're putting in a new patio and roof deck this summer), Anne Be (wedding dress shop), Swank, Lola, Vita, An's Lemongrasse Grille. I think there's a lot more to come.

Oh, and one of the best views of the city in my opinion is from Speer heading east at I25.

Livecontent, I would love to hear more about the Denargo market site!!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
I too live in, I think they call it LoHi now (is that east Highlands??). I love it here. It is an eclectic area. I feel very safe walking around by myself after dark with my dog.....but I haven't walked around at 2 am by myself. Probably wouldn't do that anywhere. I love the walkability of the area.......and the fact that I am 5 minutes from Pasquini's and Duo and Patzquaro and Lola and Vita and Proto's, etc. The only thing that I wish was here was a better grocery store. The Safeway off Federal and 29th leaves much to be desired.... I like Sunflower, but only for produce. Everything else is pretty expensive.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM

I am glad others have chimed in about the safety of this area. My opinions were my opinions and they are not necessarily the best. The worse thing that can be done is to scare away people because of the perception of danger--that is, in a way, more dangerous to an area than the danger itself. Good Comments--Thanks

Now on Denargo Development---Wow, I am excited. I did read a little about the development proposal but I never really got into it until this comment from kristenfromdenver--thanks. Here is the some of the information.

This is the link to the original article in The Rocky Mountain News
Redevelopment taking shape : Real Estate : The Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/real_estate/article/0,1299,DRMN_414_5040582,00.html - broken link)

Download this PDF,of the initial development proposal, it is large, has great graphics, it is available at this site:
Curtis Park Neighbors - Downloads | Documents

This is the discussion at Denver Infill
DenverInfill Blog: Denargo Market: In Need of a Transit Stop

This is the developers website with information on this project
CB Richard Ellis - denargomarket (http://www.cbre.com/USA/US/CO/Denver/property/denargomarket.htm?pageid=0 - broken link)

I remember Denargo from many years ago--I had to go down there on business. The old produce companies; the Two Mule Inn; the Rough and Tough people who worked there; the mist off the Platte in the early morning; the smells of fruits, vegetables, trucks, old Denver; the crates, the boxes of fruits, vegetables; the smell of the flowers from the florist wholesalers; the jobbers; wholesalers; brokers---yes it was the part of the markets of old Denver---Market Street(there is a reason for the name) with the wholesalers, fish warehouse.......... Yea, I got to write about that.....

Livecontent

Old 01-09-2008, 11:28 AM

249 posts, read 1,030,041 times
Great info as always on Denargo, livecontent! That is very exciting indeed. Isn't it amazing how much great real estate there is just sitting there unused (even with waterfront property). Do you know the time line on when they'll get started developing??

Old 01-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenfromdenver View Post
Great info as always on Denargo, livecontent! That is very exciting indeed. Isn't it amazing how much great real estate there is just sitting there unused (even with waterfront property). Do you know the time line on when they'll get started developing??
This is a huge parcel of land and the information is just from the Master Developer with preliminary conceptions for the site plan. This developer will see partners, agreements; new proposals would be presented the city; there is still much to do and it would be done in parcels over many years. The Developer is just talking about assembling property and publicizing to find suitable partners and financing.

I do not think anything major will be done until Union Station Development is near completion and the fastracks construction projects, in this area, are at a final approval stage.

It will be years away but it will happen.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver