Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:55 PM

22 posts, read 28,853 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband currently works overseas and we move back in February. He has a job offer that he can live anywhere and just do travel 50% of the time. This is a great opportunity to really pick a place we would love to live in. These are our parameters.... which town/areas would be best?
1.) Need to be near airport
2.) We have a child ( 4yrs) so safety of the town and schools are important
3.) we can afford up to 400,000 for a house
4.) We love skiing would like to be somewhat toward the direction of skiing
5.) looking for family friendly areas

I also have to admit I'm really worried about the Bendonite problem I have heard about in Colorado. Also I have someone telling me Colorado is expensive to live in? Is this true and if so what makes It more expensive.

Thanks very much for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:16 AM

450 posts, read 508,157 times
I liked Westminster a lot, but have recently moved. Our youngest daughter was born there and attended Bettty Adams Elem. through the 3rd grade. Our oldest daughter started and completed high school there and then commuted to Boulder for college.

Our neighborhood offered easy access the Hwy 36 , I25 and I70 but the congestion is getting worse. Travel time to the airport could be anywhere from 35 minutes to ..."OMG, I'm going to miss my flight"! A lot depends on weather conditions and time of day.

Your budget could grant you a very nice home!

Travel up the hill to ski is no big deal, but get an early start. Especially if it's snowing!!! (It could take a little over 90 minutes to get to Winter Park, for example).

Our neighborhood was very family-friendly. Kids were out running around together, playing in each-others yards and all parents had their "eagle-eyes" on. Of course, we adults enjoyed many hours sitting in someones driveway having a brew! And BBQ! On snowy days everyone seemed to pull together and the shoveling and snow-blowing wasn't done until everyone on the block was done! Really great neighbors!

Yes. It's expensive, but the quality of life makes it worth it to some of us.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Burke, VA
Clearwater, FL
Kauai, HI

Old 01-16-2015, 09:21 AM

322 posts, read 525,289 times
Without knowing more about your preferences, it is hard to say. I live in Stapleton where a lot of my neighbors are either pilots or travel a lot for work. Meets a lot of your criteria, but finding a SFD home for under $400K is going to be tough. Another option is SE Aurora, which is more suburban, has lower home prices, and is a quick commute to the airport - but it is a haul to the mountains. Westminster/Broomfield closer to 470 might work for the airport commute.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM

384 posts, read 508,160 times
If you don't mind an hour drive to the airport, I'd say look at the west side of town. Checks all of your other boxes pretty nicely. I go to the airport a lot and it's never really been an issue driving 45 miles each way. I don't think I'd want to WORK at the airport (head there daily) from Golden, Lakewood, Ken Caryl, or points west.

But, if it's a couple times a week to/from a flight then I'd chose for home to be closer to the mountains. I know several people that live in Evergreen who fly in and out of DEN a few times per week, and you couldn't get them to move down the hill for anything. The drive is just part of the price they pay for living where they want.

The NW suburbs mentioned above are also good options.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:21 AM

694 posts, read 1,040,329 times
I would definitely consider West Arvada.

Nice area, great schools, low crime, access to major highways.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:34 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,569,209 times
Was going to stay Stapleton until I saw the $400K

Old 01-16-2015, 11:28 AM

403 posts, read 760,032 times
South Evergreen, Conifer, Morrison, or Pine would get you everything on your list except "near airport". Your other reasons far outweigh living near DIA in my opinion. Great schools, safe, on the way to the slopes, your budget, and family friendly. These areas are all within an hour to an hour and 15 minutes of DIA and 30-45 minutes of metro Denver. Foothills living is ideal for a family with your criteria. Good Luck!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:36 AM

694 posts, read 1,040,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
South Evergreen, Conifer, Morrison, or Pine would get you everything on your list except "near airport". Your other reasons far outweigh living near DIA in my opinion. Great schools, safe, on the way to the slopes, your budget, and family friendly. These areas are all within an hour to an hour and 15 minutes of DIA and 30-45 minutes of metro Denver. Foothills living is ideal for a family with your criteria. Good Luck!
Concur. Conifer is a great area. Only one area with some run-down homes, that being just off 285 near Richmond Hill. Everything else is great.

Pine is definitely getting far out, especially in the "town" area itself, which is 7 miles down 126 from 285. However, there are homes with Pine addresses off 285 at Elk Creek Road with great views of Mt. Evans and access to the state park.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:10 PM

52 posts, read 81,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire S. View Post
Westminster/Broomfield closer to 470 might work for the airport commute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
If you don't mind an hour drive to the airport, I'd say look at the west side of town. Checks all of your other boxes pretty nicely. I go to the airport a lot and it's never really been an issue driving 45 miles each way. I don't think I'd want to WORK at the airport (head there daily) from Golden, Lakewood, Ken Caryl, or points west.

But, if it's a couple times a week to/from a flight then I'd chose for home to be closer to the mountains. I know several people that live in Evergreen who fly in and out of DEN a few times per week, and you couldn't get them to move down the hill for anything. The drive is just part of the price they pay for living where they want.

The NW suburbs mentioned above are also good options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
I would definitely consider West Arvada.

Nice area, great schools, low crime, access to major highways.
Agree with these 3 suggestions. We're in a similar boat, living downtown currently, but heading Northwest to the Southwestern edge of Arvada. I commute to the airport weekly, and it's extending my trip from 25-30 minutes to 45-50, but shortening my wife's, which she makes daily. Appreciate the proximity to foothills, and easy access to downtown Denver for most things entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver