Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,055 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been pondering about moving to Colorado, specifically Denver for the past few months. We both really liked the Wash Park area but obviously cannot afford the ridiculous houses there. Last time we were there, we went to Root Down in the Highlands and really liked that area but are not sure how good the area is. We would prefer a house and not an apartment.

My wife is a tenured teacher here in NJ, but I know that the teaching market in Denver is very competitive so this move is dependent on her finding something. I would be traveling to the DTC everyday.

We have family out in Centennial, Greenwood Village and Lakewood, but we would like more of a city feel.

Any other areas we should check out?

We would want to rent (2000) but wouldn't rule out buying either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 04:39 PM

322 posts, read 523,253 times
Prices in Highland are going to be similar to prices in Wash Park. The area is a favorite because there are so many hip restaurants a cute boutiques.

Areas to consider: Berkeley, Platt Park, Park Hill, Congress Park, and Baker.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:42 PM

How is parking in those areas. We would have 2 cars so we would like some off street parking.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:54 PM

322 posts, read 523,253 times
If parking is an issue, you'll want to cross Highland off your list and probably Baker. It shouldn't be an issue for the other neighborhoods.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 PM

17,680 posts, read 29,620,546 times
$2000 to rent a house! Hah! The vacancy rate is 2%. A very small house. OK neighborhood (maybe), but not the best house.

The commute from Park Hill and Congress Park to the DTC would be unpleasant.
Berkeley would be painful.

I would start with the DTC work location and Padmapper.com (use the filters) and radius outward.

If your family members are competent and knowledgeable, then I would ask them for advice.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:41 AM

694 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk7GTI View Post
My wife and I have been pondering about moving to Colorado, specifically Denver for the past few months. We both really liked the Wash Park area but obviously cannot afford the ridiculous houses there. Last time we were there, we went to Root Down in the Highlands and really liked that area but are not sure how good the area is. We would prefer a house and not an apartment.

My wife is a tenured teacher here in NJ, but I know that the teaching market in Denver is very competitive so this move is dependent on her finding something. I would be traveling to the DTC everyday.

We have family out in Centennial, Greenwood Village and Lakewood, but we would like more of a city feel.

Any other areas we should check out?

We would want to rent (2000) but wouldn't rule out buying either.
Do you own a house where you live now and sell that?

Not sure what your financial situation is, but if you can afford 2k a month for rent, you may want to consider buying.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,472,673 times
Check out Baker

Old 02-04-2015, 09:31 AM

We don't own where we live now since it's too damn expensive (Northern NJ).

The reason we want to rent is because this is going to be our first time really leaving the tristate area and we're not sure how we will like it. So we wanted to rent first to make sure we liked it before committing. Also, we want to live in the city now, but perhaps in the future when we start a family, we would move out to Greenwood Village, Centennial, Cherry Creek etc... because of the better schools.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:41 AM

694 posts, read 1,034,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk7GTI View Post
but perhaps in the future when we start a family, we would move out to Greenwood Village, Centennial, Cherry Creek etc... because of the better schools.
I assume you plan on spending 500K and up for a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver