Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 PM

163 posts, read 773,809 times

Advertisements

Ok everyone. I know the topic of good or "authentic" mexican food has come up before but I am still looking...

So....yes I am from California, and yes we had amazing Mexican food there, if you find the real-deal local and authentic joints. We also had plenty of crappy places if you didn't know better.

So, I'd like to know better. I'd like to find the real-deal authentic local joints here in Denver.

I've heard mentioned on this site:
Chipotle
Chubby's
Illegal Pete's
Senor Burrito

and a few other restaurants.

Chipotle....not even gonna try on that one, doesn't count.

Chubby's - Had their carne asada w/ chili burrito. It was okay. I might even go back, but it wasn't that impressive.

Illegal Pete's - Just tried tonight, it's basically a total rip of Chipotle (or vice-versa I dunno....). I mean it's the same setup with a couple different options of fillings. Except it's run by a bunch of white people and the guy serving me says "what's up bro what can I get you?" (he was a nice guy and good service.....but still)

Haven't made it to Senor Burrito yet. So who knows....

But what I'm looking for is that authentic, hole-in-the-wall taqueria run by mexicans and where the mexicans GO TO EAT and has the real-deal, bad ass mexican taqueria food (burritos, tacos, maybe a couple other things...). A good sign is that they're busy all the time too, one of those local secrets.

Can someone who knows what I'm talking about make some suggestions? Please

Just for reference in Sacramento ( a city much smaller than Denver) I can think of 4 independent places and 2 small local chains that met this criteria and are damn good.

There's got to be at least as many here in Denver 'cause Denver's way bigger and I see mexican food places and little hole in the wall taquerias all over the place, I just don't want to have to try every single one! (it'd probably kill me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 PM

163 posts, read 773,809 times
oh as an after thought...

where is the best pizza? (or at least top 3?)

I could live on pizza and mexican if I had to

Old 01-09-2008, 09:58 PM

249 posts, read 1,029,706 times
Let's see... I would recommend:
Tacqueria Patzquaro 32nd and clay - highlands
Tacos Jalisco 38tha dn tennyson 0 Highlands
Sabor Latino (more south american) - 35 and tennyson
my friends rabe about Ajuua all the time - it's southeast denver.
I hear good things about Solera - don't know how authentic it is.

Other ideas Denverites???

Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Tim,

Born in L.A., mom is mexican etc....... so I know what you are talking about.

If you drive south on sheridan off of the 6 you will find some hole in wall places run by mexicans. There are several places in that area that you might want to check out. My impression was most of the places you would buy food to take home, not eat there etc... One place I went into had huge pots of menudo cooking.

Last edited by High Altitude; 01-09-2008 at 10:17 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 10:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,481,594 times
Tacos Y Salsa. They have a Colfax location out near Aurora and I believe one on federal.

As for Pizza. Two Fisted Marios, hands down.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:11 PM

29 posts, read 89,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Currie View Post
Ok everyone. I know the topic of good or "authentic" mexican food has come up before but I am still looking...

So....yes I am from California, and yes we had amazing Mexican food there, if you find the real-deal local and authentic joints. We also had plenty of crappy places if you didn't know better.

So, I'd like to know better. I'd like to find the real-deal authentic local joints here in Denver.

I've heard mentioned on this site:
Chipotle
Chubby's
Illegal Pete's
Senor Burrito

and a few other restaurants.

Chipotle....not even gonna try on that one, doesn't count.

Chubby's - Had their carne asada w/ chili burrito. It was okay. I might even go back, but it wasn't that impressive.

Illegal Pete's - Just tried tonight, it's basically a total rip of Chipotle (or vice-versa I dunno....). I mean it's the same setup with a couple different options of fillings. Except it's run by a bunch of white people and the guy serving me says "what's up bro what can I get you?" (he was a nice guy and good service.....but still)

Haven't made it to Senor Burrito yet. So who knows....

But what I'm looking for is that authentic, hole-in-the-wall taqueria run by mexicans and where the mexicans GO TO EAT and has the real-deal, bad ass mexican taqueria food (burritos, tacos, maybe a couple other things...). A good sign is that they're busy all the time too, one of those local secrets.

Can someone who knows what I'm talking about make some suggestions? Please

Just for reference in Sacramento ( a city much smaller than Denver) I can think of 4 independent places and 2 small local chains that met this criteria and are damn good.

There's got to be at least as many here in Denver 'cause Denver's way bigger and I see mexican food places and little hole in the wall taquerias all over the place, I just don't want to have to try every single one! (it'd probably kill me)
You are funny, Tim
You are totally craving Taco Mesa aren't you???... Mi favorito Mexi food place! I bet you wish you had a huge carne asda wet burrito right now! They ARE truely the best!
What was your favorite mexi place here in OC? I am with you, I LOVE authentic mexican food. I hope you find a great one! and tell me when you do, so I can enjoy too!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 AM

739 posts, read 2,948,359 times
Great breakfast burritos at the place on Santa Fe and 8th- on the corner across from gas station. I can't remember the name (surely someone can). there are several good places on that strip of Santa Fe from 6th-10th. I remember the burritos b/c it's a great place to stop before you head up to mts. good luck!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 7,239 times
Default A few other suggestions

Hello, I am new to the board so I hope it is OK if I just jump on in.

A few other suggestions to try...

El Jardin
6460 E 73rd Ave , Commerce City , CO , 80022

La Casa Del Rey
7035 E 72nd Ave , Commerce City , CO , 80022

Dora's Mexican Restaurant
2406 S Parker Rd , Denver , CO , 80231

Las Delicias II
7610 Conifer Rd , Denver , CO , 80221

Blue Bonnet Mexican Café
457 S Broadway , Denver , CO , 80209

La Loma Restaurant
2527 W 26th Ave , Denver , CO , 80211

El Taco de Mexico
714 Santa Fe Dr, Denver, CO 80204

Viva Burrito
6990 Leetsdale Dr., Denver, CO 80224

Viva Burrito has been known to be inconsistent, but it fits with your statement "What I'm looking for is that authentic, hole-in-the-wall taqueria run by mexicans and where the mexicans GO TO EAT and has the real-deal, bad ass mexican taqueria food (burritos, tacos, maybe a couple other things..." Admittedly I have not been there in awhile as I moved cross-town. Chase everything down with a horchata if they still offer them.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Try "Tacos DF," a former taco truck converted into a permanent strip mall restaurant. It's on Parker Rd & Dayton, across the street from the mosque.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:53 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
I second Tacqueria Patzquaro and Tacos Jalisco. Would also add the Efrain's chains up in Boulder and surrounds. I have only been to Efrain's III and I love love love the green chile there!!

Santiago's (chain) has good breakfast burritos too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver