Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,803 times

Advertisements

It seems like a silly topic at first, but I'm left vexed by it ultimately and am very curious.

Upon a recent trip to Denver I noticed that during the weekdays, there were an amazing amount of people to be found in parks, shops, restaurants, etc, during hours in which most people would expect people to be in their respective offices or places of employment.

I'm left wondering what these people actually do to be able to meander about during the weekdays, especially given that it's relatively perceivable that these folk were of the middle to upper middle class mostly.

I suppose I'm looking for some insight into the work force of Denver, or rather what is different about the typical lifestyle there that would explain the trends I witnessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,022 times
There's just a bunch of rich snobs in Denver who don't have to work or get their hands dirty. j/k.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
You could see what you're describing pretty much anywhere. They could be out of work (8.5% unemployment anyone?), stay-at-home parents, shift workers, or independently wealthy folks.

When did you go there? Spring break was March 21st-29th for Denver Public Schools.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
That's funny. Coming from SoCal, I see Denver as being much more of a traditional 9-5 kind of town where most people DO have regular jobs and regular hours. I guess it's all what you're used to seeing.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:59 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
I'm a stay-at-home parent, so I'm out and about all the time. As a tech consultant who is on-call 24 hours a day, my spouse often works in the middle of the night or on weekends. As a result, he is able to take time off during the week.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:00 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,090,216 times
C2H hit it on the head, we are rich snobs, but not necessarily monitarily. You won't find scores of fancy cars on our roads and tons of flashy dress folks trying to show off their latest purchase. We are rich in health and the desire to be outside. You may have seen a bunch of folks in the parks, but not as many in the malls. Eating is more about taste then abundance, at least in the city, the burbs have Country Buffett and Red Lobster.

We can be snobs with our money in the sense that we don't always spend it to 'Keep Up With the Jones' but will fork out good money for a sporting event or a Broadway show. Second largest performing, Tony award winning, arts complex in the country and amongst the highest in ticket sales as well. Pepsi Center, Coors Field and Invesco all downtown as well. But when it comes to dress and cars, we don't try to impress and are more practical.

Not sure about the hours in which you saw folks, but we have only a hand full of Fortune 500 companies here, along with ranking in the top five cities for the most government jobs outside of D.C. and largest exporter of beer. So your money question could just be hard to answer based on your observation, other then it was probably a sunny warm day.

The other visual thing first time vistors notice is the amount of people living, working and playing in the core. Not sure where you are from but this trend is common in places like Seattle and Chicago, but total opposite in Houston, Dallas, Phoenix. We have sprawl here in the burbs but folks like to come downtown to play. Not sure where you live or what you are use to seeing from a city?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:10 PM

OK, Aztec, that was a little over the top.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
OK, Aztec, that was a little over the top.
LOL, it you would show up at a Coffee/Tea or Happy Hour, you will know that it just me being me!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM

The times just haven't worked out for me yet. I keep checking in, though. I'm sure the timing will work out eventually.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:42 PM

So, I still have the May Happy Hour to plan. DM some times and dates and I will work the May one around your schedule! Happy Hours are typically night, but we can pan a Coffe/Tea meet up as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver