Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:42 PM

54 posts, read 357,941 times

Advertisements

Alright I've pretty much decided to make the big move to Denver. I've only visited two short times and am pretty much doing this on gut instinct (and all the helpful info on this site)! I really don't know anyone in Denver and will be leaving all my friends behind in San Diego. I'm 29/f and love the outdoors and mountains. Denver seems to have everything I would want (good nightlife, cultural events, great outdoor lifestyle, fantastic weather, affordable housing, and other professional singles). Does anyone have any advice for me as I make this big transition knowing no one and working from home? I plan to head out in May/June time frame. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 10:48 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimoore55 View Post
Alright I've pretty much decided to make the big move to Denver. I've only visited two short times and am pretty much doing this on gut instinct (and all the helpful info on this site)! I really don't know anyone in Denver and will be leaving all my friends behind in San Diego. I'm 29/f and love the outdoors and mountains. Denver seems to have everything I would want (good nightlife, cultural events, great outdoor lifestyle, fantastic weather, affordable housing, and other professional singles). Does anyone have any advice for me as I make this big transition knowing no one and working from home? I plan to head out in May/June time frame. Thanks for any help!
Only you can say if this is the right move for you, but I will say that there are many young and single people like yourself who have also decided to move to Denver. Because of this, I think you're likely to run into a lot of other people in your situation who are also looking for new friends.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 14,119 times
Thumbs up Not crazy

hi skimoor55!

thanks for your post - it's refreshing to see that desptie all that southern cali may offer (at times) there are other young active single people looking for something more. i have a great career here (in los angeles now, though formerly of san diego), a small group of friends, business contacts in place, and i am STILL very seriously considering to denver, possibly locating just outside of the burbs and in a semi-removed and nature-y place like golden. i think denver has a lot to offer as far as activities and weather are concerned, and i also here there are a decent amount of singles floating around the city too. unfortunately, there is no ocean in colorado (yet!). i also work from home and wonder what the transition will be like being single (basically...) and a "home-body" many a day and night. fortunately, a married friend of mine and his wife and young kids are very likely moving to denver soon and having this small network in place would be helpful.

keep us informed about how your plans are moving along.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 PM

13 posts, read 125,992 times
Default In the same boat

I feel you on this one. I'm a 23 single male and just made the move on gut instinct like you talked about. I lived in Orlando and had a super cozy life. Lots of friends, good paying job (for my age), etc. Something still bothered me, like I needed to get out and see more.

My uncle needed help at his business in New York so I had one last going-away party, quit my job and was up in NY with my car packed full of my life within two weeks. I was there for four months but decided nothing was really keeping me there longterm. Denver came up on the radar and I researched it enough to know that I wanted to give it a shot. So I packed my car again and drove here not knowing what would happen.

So far I love it and am looking to settle down here. Anywhere you drive in the city basically you can see the Rockies in the background. People are noticeably friendlier than most places I've been around the country. I found a random roommate on craigslist and moved into the apartment the next day for a temporary month to month. I'm actively looking for a job in the renewable energy field, specifically the business side of solar power and green building, and this is definitely the place to be for that right now. Downtown Denver has a good night scene and the clubs and bars are a lot of fun. I still am very new and still exploring a bit but...really happy I just went ahead and did it.

oh and P.S. - Forbes rated Denver/Boulder the #1 area in the country for singles. I was happy to read that after I got here.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks everyone for helping to reassure me on my decision! I sometime get the feeling I'm too old to be doing this yet again (I moved on a whim to San Diego as well, from Atlanta when I was 25). I do think from what I've heard from helpful posters on here and acquaintances in the city that it is the right place for someone like me. Maybe we all can form a Denver singles newcomer group?

Old 02-25-2007, 03:56 PM

41 posts, read 215,331 times
Hey - I'm in a similar boat.. tossing up whether to make the move out there from CT.. am flying to Denver on Tuesday to check it out, see if I like Denver, see if I can eke out a living in the mountains maybe.. who knows. Still not entirely sure I have the energy to start over again, leave all my friends behind again.. (I have relocated internationally a couple times.. it takes a while to get established somewhere). But.. we'll see. I will report back next week after my reconnaisance mission!

Old 02-25-2007, 06:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,719,117 times
Default life is good for under 30

Denver is and has been always a city of boom or bust, and transients. I have been here twice since 1971, almost all of my adult life. I was only gone for a few years in Illinois and my family moved here from Ohio when I was in high school. It is fun and easy for those who are young and like the outdoor life. However, be prepared for MAJOR economic busts in the major job sectors of real estate, energy, mining, tourism and the minor industries of tech and banking. These busts last for years, as we are always the place where corps expand when things are good and the place they pull out of when things go south. We are in a MAJOR bust, with high inflation and bad housing prices. Just be prepared to weather this. Personally, I am looking to leave because I am sick of the hot dry or cold dry weather, and the dirty dusty auto fueled atmosphere. Another thing is, it's great to get a job here but once you are here you are competing with job applicants just like you--younger and dying to get here. That means workers with experience get treated badly over and over.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Another thing is, it's great to get a job here but once you are here you are competing with job applicants just like you--younger and dying to get here. That means workers with experience get treated badly over and over.
I haven't found this to be the case here -- yes, there was the tech bust of 2001-2003, which affected us all, but the carnage was just as bad in Silicon Valley or pretty much anywhere that had a lot of technology companies. These days, where I'm currently working the company is dying to hire qualified IT people and just can't find anyone who meets the qualifications they're looking for.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Esya, you bring up probably one of the big concerns I have-the dry weather. Do you ever get used to it? Is it really so bad that people give up all the positives of Denver and move as a result? I'm not too worried about the economic conditions, as I work remotely for a company based in DC and shouldn't have to worry about losing my job anytime soon. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on the dry weather conditions.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:28 PM

64 posts, read 321,030 times
I lived in Denver for 14 years. It is dry, but I liked it. No humidity, no sweating. You could, literally, stand in the shade on a hot day, and be quite comfortable. I didn't have central air, and never felt I needed it. The days could be hot in the summer, but cool at night. I did go through a lot of creams and oils for my skin, but after a while, I was acclimated to the atmosphere. I will say that when you first arrive, take it easy. It'll be tempting to run around at warp speed taking in all there is, but that thin air will lay you out for a few days, even weeks. After a bit, your lungs will have adjusted and you'll be able to partake in all the physically exerting activity you want. Stay hydrated.

Oh, and I never knew anyone who moved out of Denver because of the dry conditions. On the contrary, most people love the climate, because it always feels so comfortable. Even the winter months are better than most places that have winter. It might snow to beat the band over night, but by the next afternoon, you're walking around in a sweater. (except for this past season....brrrr). Denver boasts that the sun shines 300 days a year. And I believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver