Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 13,593 times

Advertisements

Hi we are considering buying a home in Murphy Creek. While I love everything about the house there are some things that I am still a little uneasy with. Does anyone know if there are plans to build a shopping center i.e. Grocery Store, Convienece Store, Gas Station, etc.. anytime soon. Also what do you know about the K-8 school? Please share any and all info you have about this communiy or direct me to websites that could provide this information. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:30 PM

250 posts, read 1,209,034 times
I'd be interested in thoughts on the Murphy Creek area as well. My wife and I have been researching online and we think we really like this part of Aurora. We'll visit in July and get a first-hand feel for it then, but until then...what's the good, the bad, and the ugly?

Old 02-21-2008, 03:28 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,087,177 times
As far as I know, that would be a good area if you don't mind being so far out there. Cap. Pacific is supposed to be a good builder from what I've heard, and the prices look really low - compared to buying in Denver anyway. I have now idea about schools or what else they'll build out there. I'm sure stores will be built as the area fills in.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:05 PM

32 posts, read 163,216 times
We looked at Murphy Creek when we moved to Colorado -- it's a nice community with some good builders. At the time, we were told that there would be a shopping center nearby. Well, that was four years ago. . . and still no shopping nearby, but how much longer can it be? :-)

We decided to move down the road about ten minutes to a development called Tallgrass. It's less than 10 minutes away from The Southlands Mall, and 5 minutes to two major grocery stores. Plus it's in the Cherry Creek School District. . . We like the location! They are still building in our neighborhood (Ryland Homes) and there are quite a few homes for sale (including mine!).

Regarding the school at Murphy Creek. . . I only know one family who sent their child to school there. They didn't have a good experience and ended up putting their son in a private school. Again, that is only one instance. I'm betting that there are positive aspects of that school. The school is part of APS, which get's mixed reviews depending on which school you're examining.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 42,050 times
One thing I have learned is that there are Habitat for Humanity homes right up against those brand new subdivisions over there. A lot of home owners weren't too happy with that - for a few reasons. Might be a non-issue, or might not be, I don't know. The last I heard was that they were working on building schools soon, but I think they might still be bussing kids to a not - so -great neighborhood. I'm not an authority, though - might wanna get the details, but the areas on the other side of 470 aren't quite as nice (anywhere near 6th or Colfax)

Old 02-24-2008, 08:12 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,221,477 times
Murphy Creek is right next to the Lowry Superfund site, an active dump. Literally, just north of it. I would avoid that subdivision with a ten foot pole. IMO, Aurora should be ashamed of themselves for even permitting residential development at that site.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:09 AM

17 posts, read 81,185 times
I listed a house in Murphy Creek and know about the area. The people that I worked with were transferred, so they had to leave. They loved living there. One of the things that they loved was that they felt a little more isolated and weren't completely surrounded by development, like Saddlerock is, for example. They also liked the community. There were lots of other parents with kids who got together with the little ones or to play Bunko and stuff like that.

The challenges we had when selling were, first and foremost, there have been a number of foreclosures in the neighborhood. A combination of that fact, the fact that the builders were still building and the normal comings and goings of people meant that there was a huge inventory and a ton of competition. That can work in your favor on the buying side. I can't believe how cheaply you can get a nice home there, even on the golf course. And the course is excellent -- hosting the U.S. Public Links Championship this year.

But that also means that this neighborhood should be for people with intentions of staying put for a number of years. If you're thinking of moving out within the next three or so years, that's a little iffy in my opinion (and this is just opinion). But if you're going to be there for, say, 6+ years, I like it. That gives the opportunity for the amount of inventory to decrease. It also allows some infrastructure to catch up. Yes, there is supposed to be retail development on Jewel and E-470 and it hasn't happened yet. I feel confident that it eventually will, and it's not like it's that long of a drive to the grocery store as it is now anyway.

Also, there has been talk of Aurora building a new high school to serve all of the new development that's been taking place in the area, but there's nothing firm on that yet.

I don't know definitively about any problems with the Lowery landfill, but that doesn't mean there aren't any/ I would do some research in this area. Having said that, I did google the neighborhood and the Lowery landfill recently and didn't see any news on it. By the way, I did so because I recommended the neighborhood to a client who is looking for a short-term place to have an affordable home in the Denver area for business travel purposes, but also have as a longer term investment. Because I think it's at or very near its bottom as a market, I like the prospects of Murphy Creek. Again, that's just my opinion.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:41 PM

250 posts, read 1,209,034 times
Thanks for all of the information. I was kinda wondering why Murphy Creek is so isolated up there away from the rest of the boom that is S.E. Aurora.

There is what appears to be a very nice home listing in Murphy Creek that backs right up to the golf course on E. Alabama - has been on the market for nearly a year and has reduced in price a few times. I was left wondering just what was wrong with that house, but now it seems there are a number of factors here. Thanks, ColoradoLion!

The more my wife and I look, the more I like the Cherry Creek school district down near Tallgrass, Wheatlands, Beacon Point, Tallyns Reach, etc. - and with Southlands nearby, it looks like a great area for us and our kids.

I'll keep checking back to see if any new information/suggestions emerge. Thanks again to everyone!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 AM

592 posts, read 2,234,519 times
One of the things I was wondering about is if the flight path into DIA from the South means that the planes are flying over this area all day long ? I worked at the small gas plant just north of Murphy creek, north of the interstate, and you had planes landing two by two right overhead. I remember when neighbors of the old Stapleton airport were raising so much cain about this issue and it looks like we are heading right back into that hornets nest ? Buckly air force base is just to the West too.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 12,252 times
We have lived there for 5 years and counting and are in fact refinancing. Our builder was Ryland and the house has been great. We are finishing the basement and getting ready for Summer. There are still plans to build at the corner of Jewell and Gun Club, but Albertsons is only 10 minutes away and it is near Southlands Mall so we can get alot done in one trip. The landfill has not been a major issue, there was some issues with run-off, it is localized and when compared with other areas it is not bad. (there are large areas of contamination from smelters etc.). On warm days when the wind is blowing from the south there is no order or anything else. The planes headed to DIA are not bad, Buckley aircraft can make a bit of noise especially when pilots come in a little low, but it is no worse than living near a major road, at the air traffic at night is almost non-existint, well there are those black choppers that fly in at around 8:30 at night, but there have'nt been any cattle mutilations around here in a while.

Last edited by jgatmurphycreek; 04-17-2009 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: commented on air-craft noise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: