Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,598 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted into the Physician Assistant program at the University of Colorado Denver campus and will be moving there in a few months. I could only afford to apply to a few schools, got into a few in the Southeast but after some soul searching I realized that I really didn't want to move back down south for various reasons (I'm from Mississippi, went to undergrade at ASU). Therefore I'll be moving to Denver, mainly because there is nowhere else to go. While interviewing at the school I did get a chance to venture downtown, but nothing more than that (Only had a rental for 1 day).

I'm wondering what life is like in Denver for a young, single black male. I've had to deal with my fair share of racism, discrimination, crime etc for the majority of my life and that was my reasoning behind not moving back east. I plan on staying after I graduate in 2-3 years, and hopefully settling down, starting a family, white picket fence etc. I know I won't know for sure until I move but what can I expect? Any advice on neighborhoods, cost of living (I'll be taking out loans), shopping, hang out spots, etc would be appreciated.

Last edited by cammoon; 03-19-2015 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 01:38 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Although you will be a minority here you will be accepted with open arms. We are very laid back here and have a live and let live attitude. You will notice that Colorado as a whole is very white but don't let that fool you. Best of luck in your studies and even better luck trying to find a place to stay. That will be your biggest obstacle moving here.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Is UC-Denver the one in the downtown area? If so, there should be a light rail stop nearby to aid commuting.

Padmapper.com for rentals but beware the scammers on craigslist.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Is UC-Denver the one in the downtown area? If so, there should be a light rail stop nearby to aid commuting.

Padmapper.com for rentals but beware the scammers on craigslist.
Yeah. I've started looking for apartment, but I'm kind of a procrastinator so nothing to serious yet. Thanks for the reference though I'll start looking in a month or two

Old 03-19-2015, 01:51 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Welcome to Denver!

One thing to note - you will NOT be in downtown Denver for school, you will be on the Anschutz Campus in Aurora, just east of Denver. Will you have a car or will you be relying on public transportation? Also, what is your housing budget? That will help give some more specifics on where to look for housing and other amenities.

I'm a middle aged white woman so obviously my perspective is limited, but I think that you will likely find less racism here. But it's also a fairly small black community, visibly so in many ways so that may be a bit of an adjustment.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Welcome to Denver!

One thing to note - you will NOT be in downtown Denver for school, you will be on the Anschutz Campus in Aurora, just east of Denver. Will you have a car or will you be relying on public transportation? Also, what is your housing budget? That will help give some more specifics on where to look for housing and other amenities.

I'm a middle aged white woman so obviously my perspective is limited, but I think that you will likely find less racism here. But it's also a fairly small black community, visibly so in many ways so that may be a bit of an adjustment.
I wanted to get a place relatively close to downtown, and commute the 10-15 mins everyday. My monthly housing budget is roughly 1700- 2000 a month. It may go up or down because I don't really mind the loans. I'll be at least 150,000 dollars in debt anyway.

I have a car but I plan on getting another one I'll probably trade this one in.

Honestly, I'm not big on being apart of a black "community" so to speak. I'm black, happy to be black, etc but being around black people, or not isn't that big of a deal for me. People are people, contrary to popular belief. My biggest concern is being treated fairly. Not being followed around in stories, not being needlessly stopped by police etc.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:19 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
OP,

Congrats on getting into PA school. You have a great opportunity ahead of you! I am glad emm74 mentioned that you would be on the Anschutz campus because I was going to ask about that. I would advise not living anywhere adjacent to campus. That part of Aurora is not a good area, nor is the Montbello area directly North of Anschutz (but recognize that Denver's "not so good areas" are nothing scary compared to most other large cities).

Form a commute perspective, Stapleton, followed by Lowry, is the closest. 5-10 minute drives. I was also a bit surprised to learn that the Western suburbs of Arvada and Westminster attract a lot of Anschutz students, which is a bit surprising because those are much longer commutes. However, I think you are on the right track wanting to live in or near downtown given you age and demographic. I know I would. Just recognize that the farther into downtown you are going, the farther away from Anschutz and the worse the commute. I think your budget will get you into a 1 bedroom, but not much else.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Denver is one of the best places for 20 somethings in the US. Most likely you will love it. Check out the Ballpark area. If I was young again that's where I'd be living.

As for racism, there really isn't very much here. I'm from the South also, so that's my comparison.

Good luck in school and welcome to Colorado!

Old 03-19-2015, 05:25 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Downtown isn't going to be a 10 to 15 minute commute, unfortunately. Also keep in mind that you will be going into the sun both ways. Neither of those are reasons to not live in town, just something to be aware of.

But I would think that school is going to be pretty intense and I can't help wondering whether a quieter, more residential area might not be a better fit. Is there any sort of online forum for the school where you can get some insight from other students? I don't mean to suggest that you won't have any social life but in my experience from graduate and professional school, it was primarily with other students. So I'd be curious if there's any particular location they seem to congregate.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:56 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
No need to concern yourself with racism here, Denver has no hangups.

My neighbor works at Anschutz and drives a scooter daily from City Park/Congress Park area. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver