Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

It's going to be really hard to find a 1500 sq. foot plus single family home in a happening or even semi happening neighborhood for 300K. Arvada and Lakewood are good options for the type of house you want. You could look at Centennial and Littleton as well as the other nearby suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:24 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
1051 Hooker St, Denver, CO 80204 - MLS# 4199390 | ERA Herman Group Real Estate
Close to rail stop.
In a soon-to-be-happening 'hood.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 AM

20 posts, read 17,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
There are no homes in Stapleton at that price point.
Haha well speaking from an inventory yeah. But actually there are 3 style homes in Stapleton in the 300s-350ks. Though there are like 8 styles, so they are the minority for sure, so I can see why you think that. Lots of empty land and they are building building. If the houses had Plots, not slits they would all be over 600k. At the moment there is 1 for sale for like 320k but it has a shared yard. Options are to buy directly, or fund the building of one I'm told. Though I can see someone thinking their home they just bought is worth 100k more.. seen it in some reall &&&&& neighborhoods. Oh it's off colfax, but we remodeled. Ignoring its by a halfway house 400k please!

I have free housing, so those are options. As long as I don't mind the hour each way drive :-)

Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's going to be really hard to find a 1500 sq. foot plus single family home in a happening or even semi happening neighborhood for 300K. Arvada and Lakewood are good options for the type of house you want. You could look at Centennial and Littleton as well as the other nearby suburbs.
Yeah I don't expect to get that in the heart of Rino, but I don't want to be that close to the grime and crime.. Centennial is a tad far, 35 minutes?

Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm not trying to talk you into Stapleton but I wanted to clarify things. Stapleton has a Master Community Association, and then smaller individual areas may or may not have individual HOAs. People who live in condos or townhouses obviously have a 2nd HOA, and the single families and duplexes that are on courtyards generally do as well. But many of the other homes in Stapleton are not part of an HOA other than the MCA. And the MCA rules do not appear to be particularly strict from what I can tell - I've only lived there 4 months. But things like painting your house whatever color, and yes, even putting up a big banner for your favorite sports team, are all things that are seemingly fine because I drive by them every day. The incident you referenced occurred in a courtyard community, with one of the sub associations making it into an issue. Even in the 4 months I've been here, there's been chalk on the sidewalks and no problems that I know of in my non-sub association area.

But with a budget in the low 300K, you are in fact right in the thick of competition for Denver house hunting. Sub-400K houses have the biggest demand and the shortest supply. That's particularly true in Stapleton, where anything in the mid-300s seems to be under contract within just a few days. Right now there are brand new listings at 399,900 and 350,000, and then it drops down to a $269,000 condo, also a new listing. I would be surprised to see any of them still listed by next Monday.

But in any case, as I said, I'm not trying to convince you on Stapleton and I know I wouldn't have chosen to buy there are a single person in my 20s, unless I was specifically inclined to pair up and settle down and had an eye towards having a kid or two.

You could look at Lowry - there are some decent condos in the low 300s, and while it is still very family oriented, if you are near the Town Center, it's a little bit walkable and a bit of a mix of household types. And a reasonable location for a downtown commute. But you'd still have HOAs to deal with, of course.

But I think at your price point, you are going to be looking at condos, esp. if you want to be in a more interesting area.
Haha yeah but the houses go in every area in a couple of days :-) Thanks for the info. I'll dig more into the HOA rules. Though I now see the lightlrail is more than a year away? That really hurts the areas appeal.

Yeah. IDK everywhere I can walk my dog safely at night and go to a coffee shop seems to be a "family area"

Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Englewood is a valuable suggestion. The commute down (up?) Broadway will take some time, but the distance is short.
2. I personally like Edgewater and Wheat Ridge just north of Edgewater. The commutes will be OK. They are both very close to restaurants, etc.

That said. There is almost zero inventory for sale. For example, in Wheat Ridge between 32nd-38th / Sheridan-Wadsworth there are ZERO houses for sale on the Zillow.

1. You need to ready to pounce within minutes to hours.
2. All cash offer would be best.
3. You need a buyer's agent who is intimately familiar with the area. Personally, I would hire a different one for the two areas.
4. Be willing to buy a less than perfect house.
Interesting ideas. Alas at age 26 I don't have 400k in my bank.. :-| Good idea with the agents but all the ones I talked to make you sign a 6 month contract. Except the noobie one who was a bit desperate.

I do like Edge Water, but I think it's too close to down town to be affordable and nice.

This lack of inventory is such a pain. But I understand / accepted I could be at this till past summer. Best to find the right neighborhood and set hourly alerts!

Old 03-26-2015, 10:30 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times
Ever considered Park Hill / North Park Hill? South of MLK is very nice with SFH homes (no HOA) and reasonable pricing. Since you don't have kids, stay north of 24th street and you will be zoned to less desirable schools but prices should reflect that. I think, I could be wrong - someone feel free to correct me (nicely) if I am wrong but yea North Park Hill is block to block as far as safety (there have been multiple shootings in the last few months around Dahlia and 29th but we live east of Monaco and it's as safe and as quiet as they come).

Finally, I am afraid that your expectations do not match the reality of this market - you and many others are suffering because what you expect to be able to afford aka what you think you deserve is not in line with what you can actually afford. It's a sad reality about the housing market today, and not at all your fault. Hopefully more supply will come online soon.... hopefully

Old 03-26-2015, 10:34 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind0 View Post
Yeah I don't expect to get that in the heart of Rino, but I don't want to be that close to the grime and crime.. Centennial is a tad far, 35 minutes?
I wasn't talking about the heart of RINO or really any truly hip or trendy areas. I meant in general it is going to be very hard to find a single family house that is 1500Sq ft + in a semi happening, low crime area for low $300K that is also a reasonable commute to downtown. If you can afford closer to $350K, you may have more luck. You may need to prioritize and adjust your expectations if you'd like to get something you could be happy with. I just don't see anyway for you to meet everything on your wish list in your budget. I'm just being realistic.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Ever considered Park Hill / North Park Hill? South of MLK is very nice with SFH homes (no HOA) and reasonable pricing. Since you don't have kids, stay north of 24th street and you will be zoned to less desirable schools but prices should reflect that. I think, I could be wrong - someone feel free to correct me (nicely) if I am wrong but yea North Park Hill is block to block as far as safety (there have been multiple shootings in the last few months around Dahlia and 29th but we live east of Monaco and it's as safe and as quiet as they come).
A lot of people at work have talked about Capitol hill. Though my impression was it was apartment life, and a lot of homeless, like a lot. Maybe I'm thinking of a different street though, an I've found out I'm usually off by a few miles when I look at an area on a map. "OH this is near rino and has low crime!" -- 5 miles away, not 2. Major difference. I'll try to .. drive by? Talking about shootings doesn't really inspire confidence in the area :-)

Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind0 View Post
A lot of people at work have talked about Capitol hill. Though my impression was it was apartment life, and a lot of homeless, like a lot. Maybe I'm thinking of a different street though, an I've found out I'm usually off by a few miles when I look at an area on a map. "OH this is near rino and has low crime!" -- 5 miles away, not 2. Major difference. I'll try to .. drive by? Talking about shootings doesn't really inspire confidence in the area :-)
North Park Hill, not Capitol Hill - you are right they are different areas

Hey, I want to call it like it is - there have been some gang related shooting in the area - so yea that is a real thing. But people LOVE this neighborhood when I tell them I live here because while it used to be a crime center in Denver it has gentrified tremendously since the Stapleton airport shut down and was replaced with, well, Stapleton. Nobody wanted to live next to an airport.... but anyway yea there is still some lingering families from the older days but they are quickly moving out because they can make a killing in this market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver