Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,193 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Just joined the forum today in hopes of gathering the info I need to get me out of this place! A bit of my history to help give you an idea of where I'm coming from. I'm 22, an ambivert with stronger introvert characteristics but I don't mind being friendly. Born and raised as a Hoosier, I also have mild asthma (it's allergy/ imidiate temp change induced). I work full time at a car dealership (and I have a work history in the automotive field). Still living with my mother, but aspiring to venture out west in hopes of pursuing musical opportunity. I'm a guitarist, currently writing my own music and hope to find other musicians to collaborate with. I don't have a degree (stupid me), but I do have college credits. I don't think school is really my scene, but it's always an option if all else fails. Music is my greatest passion and the only thing I can really put my heart into. I figure this is the point in my life that it's prime time to chase my dream since I don't have anything really holding me back (ie. Debt, kids, girlfriend, etc.). In the words of Jim Carrey ''it's better to have tried and fail at your dreams, than to not try and still fail''. So I've come to the realization that Indiana has nothing to offer me, and I'm ready for a new chapter in my life.

Currently I'm in the planning stages and nothing is really set in stone as far as destination, but I do know id like to stay Denver area with not to expensive cost of living since I'll be traveling alone/living alone. I plan to save up for a year and a half and sell my car and aim to leave with 7k to 10k. I also have a 4x4 manual truck I wanna take with me along with my things in the bed. The grey areas for me are the expenses for cost of living, requirements of applying for a 1 bdrm apartment/studio, current employment rate, and music scene. Ive done some research already, but id also like to hear your advise as well. Anything to help me get a better idea of what I'm getting myself into. Staying in the Midwest will be the last thing I'll ever do. Thanks for your time, and Im grateful of your concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 04:54 PM

694 posts, read 1,033,579 times
At the current rate that apartments are increasing their monthly rents, 10k will not last very long.

Also, while Denver has a good music scene, it's not like Nashville or Austin which is where more aspiring musicians move to.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:23 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,453,424 times
Dont.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:27 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,453,424 times
Edit: If music is your passion I recommend Nashville. Since living here for 3 years nobody has ever told me about any good music scene in the metro area. I'm not sure if there even is one here. Austin is another good option but more $$$.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:29 PM

6,704 posts, read 6,407,567 times
I'd recommend trying Nashville. I don't want to find you out on 16th st. playing guitar for tips. There's just not that much of a music scene in Denver. If Nashville doesn't work out, at least you're a short trip from home.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,462,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I'd recommend trying Nashville. I don't want to find you out on 16th st. playing guitar for tips. There's just not that much of a music scene in Denver. If Nashville doesn't work out, at least you're a short trip from home.
That's not at all accurate. Denver is not Nashville, but there is a very healthy music scene.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:39 PM

6,704 posts, read 6,407,567 times
Okay, let's say for the sake of argument that there is a "healthy music scene" in Denver.

Let's ask OP a few more questions...

OP, why are you drawn to Denver? What type of music do you play? Will you want to go home on occasion for holidays, etc.?

Now, regarding Denver... The rental market is tight and rent prices are very high! Without skills, employment will be tough, especially employment that will make enough to afford a decent place to live. If you need to go home to NW IN to visit or get back on track, you have a painful 15 hour drive from Denver. From Nashville, you're just over 6 hours away.

In general, breaking into and making a living in the music biz is like planning to become a major league baseball player. I totally get the chase your dream thing and I'd never tell someone not to give it a go, but what's Plan B? because odds are you're going to need it.

If the legal weed thing is a draw, trust me, it's not that big of a deal. You cannot smoke it in public and there are no "coffee shops" like Amsterdam.

Finally, although Chicago isn't exactly the music capital of the world, it's right next to you and presents a lot of opportunity.

Best of luck to you! btw, I play the drums.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 03-28-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,193 times
Thanks for all the great different perspectives you guys! It deff gives me a lot of food for more thought.

As for flamadiddle: well, I play psychedelic blues & funk, jazzy experimental progressive ideas, ambient melodies, that sorta thing. Basically, Hendrix is my strongest influence, mixed with the laid back chill vibes of Jack Johnson. Add a touch of country in there, maybe some zepplin, with lots of soul coming through the speakers.
The reason im attracted to Denver is because I heard it's pretty diverse culturally. Which I'm hoping means that ppl out there are more open minded (especially to new music), which I completely dig because I'm all about progression. Yes, the weed thing is a great perk, but not my main reason. Although, my music is the type of music you'd listen to high. Almost makes it sound different in a way, or just make you notice things that you didn't notice before. I digress. I've been to Seattle (LOVED IT) and L.A., and I just think out west would be best for the type of ppl I want to expose my music to because of the progressive mindset out there. I'm afraid if I go to Nashville it'll be a waste because I refuse to be bubblegum cookie cutter material. But like previous posters have said, its also not to far from home.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:04 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,204,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_C View Post
Thanks for all the great different perspectives you guys! It deff gives me a lot of food for more thought.

As for flamadiddle: well, I play psychedelic blues & funk, jazzy experimental progressive ideas, ambient melodies, that sorta thing. Basically, Hendrix is my strongest influence, mixed with the laid back chill vibes of Jack Johnson. Add a touch of country in there, maybe some zepplin, with lots of soul coming through the speakers.
The reason im attracted to Denver is because I heard it's pretty diverse culturally. Which I'm hoping means that ppl out there are more open minded (especially to new music), which I completely dig because I'm all about progression. Yes, the weed thing is a great perk, but not my main reason. Although, my music is the type of music you'd listen to high. Almost makes it sound different in a way, or just make you notice things that you didn't notice before. I digress. I've been to Seattle (LOVED IT) and L.A., and I just think out west would be best for the type of ppl I want to expose my music to because of the progressive mindset out there. I'm afraid if I go to Nashville it'll be a waste because I refuse to be bubblegum cookie cutter material. But like previous posters have said, its also not to far from home.
The way I see it, OP, is that Denver attracts a lot of young people like yourself. No offense to you, but I'd describe it as that young, eclectic, artsy crowd that doesn't have a particular goal in mind when coming here, they just know they want to be in a chill scene. The weed draw is a little over-hyped IMO. Too many people seem to want to come here specifically for that and/or skiing/snowboarding and they don't really have any other major aspirations. To each their own though.

Having not spent much time in Nashville, I can't really give a good comparison of Denver's and Nashville's music scene. I'd say that Denver's music scene is probably average to slightly above average. There is a decent amount of music venues around town. Summit Hall in Lodo is one that tends to bring in some smaller acts. There are also some small venues in the RiNo neighborhood that draw smaller acts. That said, I'd think there would be more professional opportunity for you in places like Nashville or LA if that's the route you want to go. I only know of one or two bands that came out of Denver in the last decade that made it big.

All that said, the high COL will probably be your biggest obstacle. If you want to live near the youth scene, expect to pay at least $1000/mo on rent and utilities. And that's probably living with a roommate. You're probably looking at more like $1200-$1500 if you want to live on your own. Denver is quickly becoming LA 2.0. Lots of people are moving here and it's driving the housing prices up like crazy.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:24 PM

26,134 posts, read 48,774,094 times
Seems that Westword covers Denver's music and art scene pretty well.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: