Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:57 AM

45 posts, read 54,548 times

Advertisements

I created a lengthy post with a bunch of links / suggestions, but I'm not allowed to do that as I am new so they weren't approved.

That said, there are multiple options for condos to buy if you look in the suburbs directly west of the city. I'm currently looking to buy a home, but one of the automated email reports I get sends me every single home for sale under $300k, from Lakewood to Westminster. There are about 10 condos for sale right now for under $100k. The cheapest one is $59.9k - which would be well within the range of someone making $60k a year.

If you search craigslist, there are also a ton of rentals for under $1000/month, actually IN Denver. Paying $1100 or whatever for a place in SE Denver / Aurora doesn't sound like all that good of a deal, especially if it has a run down pool / secured parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
I created a lengthy post with a bunch of links / suggestions, but I'm not allowed to do that as I am new so they weren't approved.

That said, there are multiple options for condos to buy if you look in the suburbs directly west of the city. I'm currently looking to buy a home, but one of the automated email reports I get sends me every single home for sale under $300k, from Lakewood to Westminster. There are about 10 condos for sale right now for under $100k. The cheapest one is $59.9k - which would be well within the range of someone making $60k a year.

If you search craigslist, there are also a ton of rentals for under $1000/month, actually IN Denver. Paying $1100 or whatever for a place in SE Denver / Aurora doesn't sound like all that good of a deal, especially if it has a run down pool / secured parking.
These condos exist? I'd love to buy one.

Also, if you can PM me the original post with the links, I'll post it here on your behalf.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:43 AM

52 posts, read 81,575 times
I think gripes about transit cost are most reflective of peoples' inability to gauge how much their car is truly costing them.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:20 AM

50 posts, read 86,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Personally, I thought it was a very insightful piece.

I know that nobody particularly wants to subscribe to my views that Denver is becoming vastly overpriced. But here it goes anyway...

One of the key points is affordable housing. This is almost non-existent here, regardless of which part of the metro area you live in. You can live 30 miles outside of the city core (Parker) and still end up paying an outrageous amount for an apartment. I'm sorry, my lavish West and East Coast counterparts, but $1200/mo for an outdated 1-BR is not affordable in this city. There are a lot of working class folks who don't make that much money and are struggling to stay ahead of the curve, build savings, and try to save for down payments, future investments, or educational pursuits. Denver is quickly becoming a metro area strictly for the affluent, or for those who don't make much money, but got in at the right time. Working class neighborhoods (Wash Park, Baker, Cap Hill, etc.) are being torn down in favor of the mega rich. Without the help of federal subsidies, working class people should be able to find an abundance of apartments that are less than $900/mo. But the entire metro has become composed of 1-BR apartments, new and old, that are hovering near the $1500/mo range. That is truly disgusting...
I have to say, I agree with this. I primarily rent a room (bedroom and bathroom) from a homeowner/primary apartment renter and it's getting absolutely ridiculous. I'm seeing ads for, like, $700-$800 for a bedroom, *maybe* a bathroom too, not always. They go higher than that too. I mean, I'm not even looking for an apartment, just trying to rent a bedroom to sleep in! It's really discouraging trying to find any place to live that is affordable.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzgirl View Post
I have to say, I agree with this. I primarily rent a room (bedroom and bathroom) from a homeowner/primary apartment renter and it's getting absolutely ridiculous. I'm seeing ads for, like, $700-$800 for a bedroom, *maybe* a bathroom too, not always. They go higher than that too. I mean, I'm not even looking for an apartment, just trying to rent a bedroom to sleep in! It's really discouraging trying to find any place to live that is affordable.
It's not that hard. Have you checked this out? //www.city-data.com/forum/denve...e-looking.html

I'm not allowed to bump the thread, unfortunately.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 AM

50 posts, read 86,398 times
I will check that out. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayzgirl View Post
I will check that out. Thanks!
You're welcome. If you find it helpful, I and many others will appreciate it if you could just say thanks in that thread so that it becomes visible to people looking for an affordable place like you are.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:04 PM

45 posts, read 54,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
These condos exist? I'd love to buy one.

Also, if you can PM me the original post with the links, I'll post it here on your behalf.

The post was deleted by a Mod, so I don't think I can find the exact links again. That said, I can post the addresses of a few, if you'd like (not sure if that is allowed or not?).

$70k - 2730 W 86th Ave #44 Westminster, CO 80031
$79k - 12186 Melody Dr #303 Westminster, CO 80234
$85k - 7770 W 38th Ave #208N, Bldg North Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

As for the rental links, all I did was go to Craiglist, type in $1000 as the upper filter in the "rentals" section, and thousands pop up. There are studios for $600, 1BR in the $700-900 range, etc. Definitely options for under $1200/month, as some are suggesting is the "bottom" price you'll pay for a 1BR.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
I think gripes about transit cost are most reflective of peoples' inability to gauge how much their car is truly costing them.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
It's a known problem that NYC has swept the grime under the rug and is now a disneyland for the wealthy. (using NYC as an example because I lived there for 13 years and watched the changes. 10 years ago you wouldn't be out in Flatbush or Williamsburg at night now you got drunk girls walking home by themselves at 4AM)
LOL, ain't that the truth!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver