Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Depends on where you live. The Ballpark neighborhood reeks of weed, but CBD not so much, for example.
Yea, good point... can't rep you anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I haven't noticed it at home in semi-suburban Stapleton with tiny lots. I'd be bothered if I smelled it a lot at home but I'd feel the same way about tobacco too. Occasionally smell it when we are out and about but it doesn't bother me.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:06 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Only smell it occasionally downtown and I rarely see smoking in public. I do remember one occasion when I was in my car waiting for someone around 16th street and a couple of (what appeared to be) homeless guys were toking it up on the corner. They looked over at me and raised the pipe offering it to me with a smile. I just smiled and waved politely. My kids were in the back seat so I had to tell them they were just being nice and offering me some of their tobacco, lol. They may not have seen my kids due to the tinted windows.

fwiw, I firmly believe in legalization and think Colorado is doing a good job of regulating/controlling.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_66 View Post
At first I was pleased to see Colorado be very progressive with marijuana by legalizing it. The good feelings certainly have washed away into frustration-

My home gets permeated with the odor of marijuana from neighbors that do it day and night yet the city and police will not do anything because they don't consider it to be a nuisance like a loud party. My covenant is actually looking to put bylaws into our HOA to make it a nuisance offence as they are being subjected to daily complaints about the odor.

I see people in our crowded main streets and highways toking up with no regard for their own safety or others in traffic.

I smell it in public on a daily basis. I spend the last two months documenting how many times I have run into public weed usage around Denver and there wasn't a day I didn't see of smell it.

We have people flocking here to the Amsterdam of North America that do not care if they trash the city so long as they can get their weed groove on and fly back home. I finally understand how my friend from Las Vegas feels about tourists despite the tax revenue and so forth.

Don't get me wrong. I like to do it maybe twice a year a treat. Moderation...a word that seems to not have much meaning here in the Mile High city.

Denver was a place that I really loved and enjoyed living in up until recently. This once great city has become a druggy, dingy, dirty, and increasingly unfriendly place to live in. I know a number of folks that are packing up and moving out of state for these reasons. I can't say that I blame them.

Is anyone else fed up with this as well? Is this the Denver we really want to live in?
Your post sounds like propaganda to me. I have never had any problems with people smoking it around me. I highly doubt you know a number of folks leaving the state because of it.

I don't smoke it but I am in favor of it being legalized.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:47 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,790 times
It is odd OPs only post is a rant about legal MJ. I have yet to partake of legal weed. OPs experience is not the same as mine, I have not noticed any problems. Sorry if he has had a problem with neighboors, but he could be having the same problem with cig smoke. I rarely smell MJ in public, but I live in suburban Denver metro.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
When I got here a few years ago, before legalization, I was living across from a crack house.

Frankly, I don't really see any difference between when I first arrived 4 years ago and the year or so it has been completely legal. And the OP could just as easily be living next to chain smokers and suffering the same effects (though frankly, I think cigs smell nastier).

And when I got here, I was living across the street from a crack house, and the cops weren't really doing anything about it (despite one of the visitors running down the street at 5 am and screaming "it's a crack house"). Do you really think they would do something about a "pot house"?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:13 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I smell it pretty frequently. You can smell the aroma of fresh marijuana being grown in parts of Denver, particularly in areas with a lot of warehouses. You can also smell the smoke at times and I have seen people smoking in traffic. I do not use marijuana at all but I am 100% in favor of it being legal. I do wish that other states would also legalize it as well as I believe that would take care of some of the negative aspects such as people moving here to try and get in on the industry or the people who come here to grow (legal) and then take it across state lines to sell (illegal).

Old 04-01-2015, 05:17 PM

4,027 posts, read 2,711,590 times
Quote:
At first I was pleased to see Colorado be very progressive with marijuana by legalizing it. The good feelings certainly have washed away into frustration-

My home gets permeated with the odor of marijuana from neighbors that do it day and night yet the city and police will not do anything because they don't consider it to be a nuisance like a loud party. My covenant is actually looking to put bylaws into our HOA to make it a nuisance offence as they are being subjected to daily complaints about the odor.

I see people in our crowded main streets and highways toking up with no regard for their own safety or others in traffic.

I smell it in public on a daily basis. I spend the last two months documenting how many times I have run into public weed usage around Denver and there wasn't a day I didn't see of smell it.

We have people flocking here to the Amsterdam of North America that do not care if they trash the city so long as they can get their weed groove on and fly back home. I finally understand how my friend from Las Vegas feels about tourists despite the tax revenue and so forth.

Don't get me wrong. I like to do it maybe twice a year a treat. Moderation...a word that seems to not have much meaning here in the Mile High city.

Denver was a place that I really loved and enjoyed living in up until recently. This once great city has become a druggy, dingy, dirty, and increasingly unfriendly place to live in. I know a number of folks that are packing up and moving out of state for these reasons. I can't say that I blame them.

Is anyone else fed up with this as well? Is this the Denver we really want to live in?
First time poster with a complaint that comes across as, "OK when *I* want it, but not when everybody else does!"

Yeah.......

Old 04-01-2015, 05:32 PM

104 posts, read 127,036 times
I prefer the way Washington did it - they legalized at the same time but took a more cautious approach. Stores, edibles, etc. exist and are easily accessible if desired, but it's not the free-for-all that CO has. However, Washington does have the same problem of people smoking in the streets and everywhere, with basically no enforcement happening.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 PM

104 posts, read 127,036 times
Quote:

Denver is not the Amsterdam of the US, Seattle is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver