Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 12:02 PM

43 posts, read 68,658 times

Advertisements

I understand that the entire Denver metro area can't be painted with one brush, but generally speaking, how open are mid to larger employers to out of state candidates?

My wife and I do tech-related (BA and UX) work and are trying to relocate to Phoenix, but I've been told by two recruiters that the culture there is such that companies don't trust out of staters to follow through with a job offer. Apparently a lot of people get too caught up with wanting to live someplace (Phoenix) where it's summer all year round, and don't consider all the logistics. So they accept an offer, and then bail on it after a week when they realize they can't relocate for whatever reason.

Is Denver like that too? Like I said, I know it's not a simple yes or no, but if the overall culture leans one way or the other, we'd very much like to know that.

(The reason we're looking to relocate is that we want to escape the frozen tundra prison that is Minnesota, and Phoenix has been our first choice but we may need to consider alternatives. Denver and Dallas top our list for alternatives. We know Denver has a little bit of a winter but nothing like MN)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 12:05 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,988 times
I am thinking they'd PREFER local candidates unless you are highly qualified in a specialized field and they can't find candidates from out of state.

When I moved from NYC it wasn't easy to get interviews being an out of state employee but it was certainly not impossible. Software companies would be more progressive about it so you might get lucky. I think you will never know unless you try. Contact local recruiters in the area first.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 PM

384 posts, read 507,882 times
Most of my co-workers (and myself) are from someplace else, and many moved here specifically for their current job.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:12 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
I had a company pay to relocate me here from Dallas 4 years ago. That will likely be the exception rather than the rule, but if you can prove you've got the chops and aren't against relocating yourself there's definitely a shortage of workers here.

FYI - I'm from here but lived in Dallas for 12 years. While I appreciate what living in DFW did for my career, I wouldn't move there if I had a chance to do it all over again. Ghastly summers, bland scenery, and very limited from an outdoor perspective.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:58 PM

43 posts, read 68,658 times
Thanks for responses so far, that definitely helps.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:18 PM

17 posts, read 19,515 times
Overall, medium-large companies in Denver are open to out-of-staters. I can tell you that WhiteWave, DISH, Einstein Bagels, Qdoba, Vail Resorts, Atkins and Level 3 hire out of staters with full relocation packages (that's just a small sampling from my own experience and friends off the top of my head who were hired and relocated there). Relatively speaking, Colorado is lacking in high-level talent/career development in its larger companies, especially in the marketing function.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:30 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuynh10 View Post
Overall, medium-large companies in Denver are open to out-of-staters. I can tell you that WhiteWave, DISH, Einstein Bagels, Qdoba, Vail Resorts, Atkins and Level 3 hire out of staters with full relocation packages (that's just a small sampling from my own experience and friends off the top of my head who were hired and relocated there). Relatively speaking, Colorado is lacking in high-level talent/career development in its larger companies, especially in the marketing function.
I personally wouldn't recommend DISH to my worst enemy. Charlie Ergen is a despicable human being who treats his employees like dirt. DISH is consistently rated one of the worst companies in America to work for because of the tyrannical way the company is run.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:27 AM

17 posts, read 19,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I personally wouldn't recommend DISH to my worst enemy. Charlie Ergen is a despicable human being who treats his employees like dirt. DISH is consistently rated one of the worst companies in America to work for because of the tyrannical way the company is run.
I'm not going to argue with you about how much it sucks to be at DISH, as my friends who worked there echoed your statement and what's on Glassdoor. However, if you want a solid-paying job and can put up with it until you don't have to pay back relocation, then it's a decent option!

Old 04-04-2015, 10:31 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
I would say if you have something really good to offer the company, they will certainly consider you. We just hired two out of staters...HOWEVER, we were not finding the talent we needed (more specialized) in state, and both candidates were willing to move quickly and sacrifice a little money for lifestyle. Out here, that's a tricky trade-off.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:39 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
That is why they try to hire people from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver