Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:58 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,348 times

Advertisements

Hi there forum members!

First: mods please don't close this yet. I know these threads usually cause strife and if that happens close it then but this is a legitimate question.

Members: please don't get this thread closed !

Here's my question and I couldn't find anything online. What happened when BSL was introduced to existing owners of pit bulls?

Or let's say hypothetically Denver adds GSDs to the BSL next year. What would they require of me to do with my two shepherds? Am I to give them up immediately or do they get some sort of "grandfathered in" loophole? Assume both my dogs are registered with the city. Would owners have to give up their existing dogs or does it prevent registering new dogs?

Old 04-09-2015, 11:00 AM

45 posts, read 54,527 times
I'm pretty sure everyone who had an existing dog was grandfathered in, but could not breed them / buy new puppies. Not 100% certain, though.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:18 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,045,940 times
Each city does it a bit differently.

Aurora did this:
Owners of pit bull dogs and restricted dogs licensed within 60 days of the ordinance's effective date could keep their dogs only under restricted conditions, including:
  • if the dog is licensed, spay/neutered, vaccinated against rabies, and has microchip identification;
  • the owner is at least 21 years old and has at least $100,000 US liability insurance
  • the dog is kept indoors or locked in a secured pen, with government-provided warning signs posted at entrances to the property;
  • when off the property, the dog must be kept in a secure transportable container or must wear a muzzle while held on a four-foot long non-extensible leash;
  • the dog may not be sold or transferred to anyone outside the owner's immediate family
  • the owner must notify the government immediately if the dog is loose, stolen, at-large, unconfined, has mauled, bitten, attacked, threatened, or in any way menaced another animal or human, or has died.[32]
Denver did this:
The law allowed owners of pit bulls living in Denver in July 1989 to keep them provided the owner:
  • Registered the dog with the city and allowed the city to tattoo it with the registration number
  • Was at least 21 years old
  • Had $100,000 US in liability insurance
  • Kept the dog confined
  • Did not sell or otherwise transfer the dog to anyone except someone in the owner's immediate family.
  • Posted a sign of specified dimensions and lettering ("PIT BULL DOG") at every possible entrance to the property where the dog was kept.
The problem was if they did not follow the rules or if neighbors complained or the dog got out, the dog was at a high risk of being killed by the city. Best to buy in a city without BSL.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:26 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Denver did this:
The law allowed owners of pit bulls living in Denver in July 1989 to keep them provided the owner:
  • Registered the dog with the city and allowed the city to tattoo it with the registration number
  • Was at least 21 years old
  • Had $100,000 US in liability insurance
  • Kept the dog confined
  • Did not sell or otherwise transfer the dog to anyone except someone in the owner's immediate family.
  • Posted a sign of specified dimensions and lettering ("PIT BULL DOG") at every possible entrance to the property where the dog was kept.
The problem was if they did not follow the rules or if neighbors complained or the dog got out, the dog was at a high risk of being killed by the city. Best to buy in a city without BSL.
Since Denver's ban dates back to 1989, you'd probably have a hard time convincing them that the dog was one of the ones grandfathered in 26 years ago.

As for other dogs, I have not ever heard of anyone attempting to or wanting to extend the ban to other breeds.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Since Denver's ban dates back to 1989, you'd probably have a hard time convincing them that the dog was one of the ones grandfathered in 26 years ago.

As for other dogs, I have not ever heard of anyone attempting to or wanting to extend the ban to other breeds.
I don't own pitties so nobody for me to convince

I was just curious what happened to existing owners and their dogs when the law went into effect which mic11 very eloquently explained

Old 04-09-2015, 05:13 PM

6,775 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I'm curious to know if this is actually enforced. I see pit bulls quite a bit in Denver.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:05 AM

45 posts, read 54,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I'm curious to know if this is actually enforced. I see pit bulls quite a bit in Denver.

I'd like to know too. My fiance sees them almost every day while she is downtown, walking in plain view.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:59 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
There are sure a lot of them in the shelters which is quite sad.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:38 PM

471 posts, read 600,492 times
Pit bulls end up in shelters because most people figure out that they are just plain aggressive.

They are like a loaded gun with their own brain.

Too many children and adults have been "loved" to death by a pit bull.

Pit bull's account for the vast majority of ER visits related to dog bites. They are simply more dangerous.

National Institutes of Health did a long term (15 year) study.

Mortality, mauling, and maiming by vicious dogs. - PubMed - NCBI

OBJECTIVE:
Maiming and death due to dog bites are uncommon but preventable tragedies. We postulated that patients admitted to a level I trauma center with dog bites would have severe injuries and that the gravest injuries would be those caused by pit bulls.
DESIGN:
We reviewed the medical records of patients admitted to our level I trauma center with dog bites during a 15-year period. We determined the demographic characteristics of the patients, their outcomes, and the breed and characteristics of the dogs that caused the injuries.
RESULTS:
Our Trauma and Emergency Surgery Services treated 228 patients with dog bite injuries; for 82 of those patients, the breed of dog involved was recorded (29 were injured by pit bulls). Compared with attacks by other breeds of dogs, attacks by pit bulls were associated with a higher median Injury Severity Scale score (4 vs. 1; P = 0.002), a higher risk of an admission Glasgow Coma Scale score of 8 or lower (17.2% vs. 0%; P = 0.006), higher median hospital charges ($10,500 vs. $7200; P = 0.003), and a higher risk of death (10.3% vs. 0%; P = 0.041).

CONCLUSIONS:
Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the US mortality rates related to dog bites.

Que the pit bull fanatics talking about how its not the breed but the owner.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Pit bulls end up in shelters because most people figure out that they are just plain aggressive.

They are like a loaded gun with their own brain.

Too many children and adults have been "loved" to death by a pit bull.

Pit bull's account for the vast majority of ER visits related to dog bites. They are simply more dangerous.

National Institutes of Health did a long term (15 year) study.

Mortality, mauling, and maiming by vicious dogs. - PubMed - NCBI

OBJECTIVE:
Maiming and death due to dog bites are uncommon but preventable tragedies. We postulated that patients admitted to a level I trauma center with dog bites would have severe injuries and that the gravest injuries would be those caused by pit bulls.
DESIGN:
We reviewed the medical records of patients admitted to our level I trauma center with dog bites during a 15-year period. We determined the demographic characteristics of the patients, their outcomes, and the breed and characteristics of the dogs that caused the injuries.
RESULTS:
Our Trauma and Emergency Surgery Services treated 228 patients with dog bite injuries; for 82 of those patients, the breed of dog involved was recorded (29 were injured by pit bulls). Compared with attacks by other breeds of dogs, attacks by pit bulls were associated with a higher median Injury Severity Scale score (4 vs. 1; P = 0.002), a higher risk of an admission Glasgow Coma Scale score of 8 or lower (17.2% vs. 0%; P = 0.006), higher median hospital charges ($10,500 vs. $7200; P = 0.003), and a higher risk of death (10.3% vs. 0%; P = 0.041).

CONCLUSIONS:
Attacks by pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. Strict regulation of pit bulls may substantially reduce the US mortality rates related to dog bites.

Que the pit bull fanatics talking about how its not the breed but the owner.
Of course the Californians come in with their nonsense and misinformation. Cue the mod locking this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver