Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,563 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be driving out to look at houses and different areas in a couple of months, but we'd really like to know which areas we should focus on so we don't waste a lot of time. My husband will most likely be working in the Tech Center, so we want to keep his commute reasonable (we are used to 45 minute commutes so an hour tops would be nice). That being said, we have two small children so schools are very important as well as living in a safe neighborhood - we're coming from a Minnesota suburb with very low crime. We were looking at places like Centennial, Highlands Ranch, Aurora... possibly even Parker. Any help pointing out the safest areas with good schools would be greatly appreciated!! We aren't loaded, but aren't expecting a huge house. We'd like to keep it under 350K if possible, though. Is that even reasonable? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 02:53 PM

322 posts, read 524,868 times
Under $350K requires some aggressiveness in this market, but it is doable...and there is no need to duplicate that 45 commute in Denver. It will be very difficult in Highlands Ranch (there are some options), but there are options in each of these neighborhoods that will fit your criteria. Perhaps consider parts of Littleton also.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:15 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Your annual real estate taxes on $350K would typically be $2000-$2700.
So, if you can increase your purchase price, it would be easier to find a house.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 AM

5 posts, read 7,563 times
All very helpful. How about as far as safety concerns? Are these areas/neighborhoods all relatively good places to raise a family?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:05 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmshoberg View Post
All very helpful. How about as far as safety concerns? Are these areas/neighborhoods all relatively good places to raise a family?
I live in Highlands Ranch and it is a great place to raise a family. There are 4 rec centers, trails and many parks. The only thing that you may not like about it is the cookie cutter houses. Schools are good for the most part but the school district as a whole has some controversy. Look up Douglas County Schools.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
We were looking at the same areas over the summer and I think they are all good locations for families. I hope you can stay long enough to carefully look at them all and make the drive to the DTC. As someone mentioned, look into the school systems. Highlands Ranch and Parker are both in the Douglas County School District, and South Aurora and parts of Centennial are in the Cherry Creek School District. I have no kids in the schools but my neighborhood has several former and current teachers and they are very vocal about some things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver