Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:27 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
How long does it take from the Denver area to Cheyenne?
It's just over one hundred miles each way, so a commuter is looking at 3-1/2 hours per day barring weather or traffic delays, which is why I pointed out earlier that someone on a tight budget would be better off taking a second job to make rent.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-06-2015 at 08:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
How long does it take from the Denver area to Cheyenne? Did I miss that? It does seem like the Ft Collins or Greeley area would be closer and quicker and a little less stressful drive.
I routinely have to travel from Cheyenne area to Ft Collins (CLA Sale Barn, plus other shopping/medical appt's on the So side of Ft Collins off Harmony Road). By choosing to travel at non-rush hour traffic, I can typically do this in about an hour ... in good weather. That's pretty consistent, whether I'm towing a two-horse BP trailer at about 65 mph or driving a car at 75 mph. Takes longer when I'm towing the gooseneck stock trailer because I won't tow that over 60 mph. The distance isn't so great that the incremental increase in speed takes appreciably less time.

One thing, as other posters have mentioned ... is the commonly found aggressive drivers on I-25 by the time you reach the Northern edge of Ft Collins. It's a frequent situation for me, when I've been at the speed limits or below (trailer tires are rated for 65 mph continuous, few folk know that. When taking a load of livestock to the sale barn, getting there safely in a timely manner is more important to me than trying to get there a few minutes quicker with a substantially lower fuel economy in the 'ol Powerstroke diesel). The road rage incidence in this stretch has been frequent enough that CHP has posted the number to call to alert them to the situation. Can't tell you how many times we've seen road rage incidents, drivers passing traffic on the right off the highway two-lanes, going around traffic at high speed on the median areas, aggressively tailgating other traffic moving at or significantly above 80 mph drivers who won't yield to another driver who wants to go even faster.

Due to a family medical situation, Mrs Sun had to make numerous trips down to Arvada (120th at Kipling area) over the last 6 months. Traveling in off rush hour traffic times in mostly good weather, it took her 2 1/2 hours on average each way. Even though it was not rush hour, the traffic density from South of Ft Collins, and closer to the suburb towns north of Denver ... the traffic could be reduced to slow 'n go, if not stop 'n go. That included weekends, too. The traffic density along the front range seems to be never ending these days.

As well, I do business with some suppliers in Greeley on the South side of town there. Taking Hwy 85, it takes me almost 1 1/2 hours each way. Because my ranch is East of Cheyenne, I'll sometimes take the back roads leading to Hereford CO, which is a more pleasant drive on two-lane back county roads and avoids all the small town reduced speed limits (read: Traffic Revenue enforcement) at each of the small towns North of Greeley on Hwy 85. The trade-off is the heavy oil field/fracking water traffic on the back county roads, which sometimes can be slower than 65 mph ... and oft times, much faster and the semi's are aggressively passing my speed limit vehicle.

The only advantage that a commute from these towns North of Denver offers is the lesser distance. It's still a nasty drive during inclement weather and I-25 or Hwy 85 are subject to road closures during the winter months. We had quite a few of them this last winter, and it was a relatively milder winter for total moisture/snowfall. The roads in Ft Collins and Greeley can be in great condition for the winter season, but it can be a completely different situation as you approach the Cheyenne ridge and the elevation gain.

Ft Collins is 4,982', and sits in a relatively sheltered bowl area. Cheyenne ridge is 6,156' elevation, and is very exposed to the prevailing winds from the typical storm frontal passages. Cheyenne sits at 6.062'. To reach Cheyenne from the south, you're effectively going over a mountain pass ... even if it doesn't appear to be such like a narrow mountain pass would appear with taller mountains around.

PS: my son came through Cheyenne last week, driving his Boxster ... and routinely exceeding the speed limits on his trip homeward to Crestmoor in Denver. Took him well over 2 hours in Monday afternoon traffic ahead of the rush hour and in the opposite direction for most of that. Realistically, Denver to Cheyenne on a clear day in average traffic ... even when you're willing to live by your radar/lidar detector and aggressively speed ... is a 2 hour trip these days. I wouldn't figure on less than 4 hours a day commuting in good weather and no construction delays enroute.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
I have to disagree, there are 2 buses that come in every morning of these extreme commuters, to my company alone, from outlying areas into the Southbay. It's much more common than you think. I believe the IE has passed 4 million in population, and will pass 5 million by the end of this decade, and 40% are commuters. I personally drive 65 miles each way, and sometime work weekends too. So that's 1 hour in, 1.5 home, total 12.5 hours per week, add in 1 hour each way on weekends up to 16.5 hours per week. (yes, it is grinding, but it's what you do to get paid well and live cheap)

This is the 91 on a daily basis

The weather in Denver makes perfect sense, I would not drive many miles in the winter either. But it's nice to know people don't have extreme commutes.
Okay, I'll concede your point that some Californians are doing it. It doesn't make it any less crazy, and I have to wonder if your even raising the question is an acknowledgement that the extreme commute is getting to you, and you're looking for a relief valve. Denver is expensive, no doubt, but it's a very different environment from the South Bay. I don't think you'll find many people living here who would tolerate that kind of time behind the wheel on a daily basis. Furthermore, if you dig around the Colorado forums, you'll find that the first question locals ask of those hoping to relocate is, "Where is work?" A balanced life is important, and a 100-mile daily commute doesn't leave room for much of one, but I suspect you already know that.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:30 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Okay, I'll concede your point that some Californians are doing it. It doesn't make it any less crazy, and I have to wonder if your even raising the question is an acknowledgement that the extreme commute is getting to you, and you're looking for a relief valve. Denver is expensive, no doubt, but it's a very different environment from the South Bay. I don't think you'll find many people living here who would tolerate that kind of time behind the wheel on a daily basis. Furthermore, if you dig around the Colorado forums, you'll find that the first question locals ask of those hoping to relocate is, "Where is work?" A balanced life is important, and a 100-mile daily commute doesn't leave room for much of one, but I suspect you already know that.
It is very crazy. Same in NYC. $1600 a month to live in a craphole with a 1.5-2.5 hour commute EACH WAY EVERY DAY. On the one hand, that's how I got through 5 Song of Ice & Fire books, but on the other hand, that's how I lost my mind just a little bit every day.

Looking at google maps traffic before leaving work makes you want to stay in Manhattan and drink just to avoid it and drown your sorrows

Never again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver