Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:14 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,401 times

Advertisements

Any thought to looking at DU for their Master's of Accounting? I understand that it's pretty good and Daniel's does have a decent reputation- despite falling in the rankings over the last few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 11:50 AM

27 posts, read 37,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Any thought to looking at DU for their Master's of Accounting? I understand that it's pretty good and Daniel's does have a decent reputation- despite falling in the rankings over the last few years.
I didn't even consider DU because of tuition. And I was thinking down the road, maybe going for LSAT and lawschool at DU, because on that side, I do have some connection. But I just had to pursue what I had begun a while back.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Here is my 2 cent advice from a 40 something accounting grad:

Because of the 5 years with no CPA and the lack of a top accounting school in the state you should try this approach: Email, call, and network with people at the big firms. Try to get an entry level job while you work on your Macc at night. Show them day in and day out that you are smart and hard working. This way you won't be banking on a piece of paper to open the door. Heck, they probably will pick up the cost of your school and test prep. Also, this will give you a chance to see if you like working at a Big 4 firm. You might not, but the time won't be wasted since you will have your masters, job experience, and friends in the industry.

This isn't an easy path, but going CU Boulder and getting a job at Big 4 firm is going to be tough also. You need to be at the top of your class to get noticed.

After reading my post I think I need to add that CU Boulder is a fine school. It's just not elite, and therefore won't open a lot of doors for you. You will need to do that yourself.
I just wasn't sure if that is going to be that easy, if possible at all. Most I've heard and read are people saying that the big 4 mostly, if not only, hire entry positions through an internship.

Honestly though, what you've suggested would be THE ideal path that I would kill for at this moment.
Landing any entry position in those firms and going to UCD at night, all right in downtown, as I too believe that school is not going to matter, esp neither boulder nor UCD, once I just get that experience.

I just think that it would be an extremely difficult path, more so than being at the top of the class at Boulder. I guess I just would not know until I try, all a matter of chance and opportunities.

So it really just comes down to which school would provide me with a greater exposure and opportunities for a better first job - the most important factor for me in all this.

Would you say landing a job at those big firms w/o internship is possible? I am going to try, HARD, but just don't want to be doing something that is not going to happen.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyerker View Post
I didn't even consider DU because of tuition. And I was thinking down the road, maybe going for LSAT and lawschool at DU, because on that side, I do have some connection. But I just had to pursue what I had begun a while back.
This is probably none of my business, but. . .

It seems you should settle on one career path, instead of spending a bunch of money going for this master's degree, then turning around and spending a bunch of money on law school.

JMO!

Old 05-12-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
This is probably none of my business, but. . .

It seems you should settle on one career path, instead of spending a bunch of money going for this master's degree, then turning around and spending a bunch of money on law school.

JMO!
I'm pretty set on CPA path for now. DU Law school is just a thought at this moment, maybe later on in life when I find the luxury. But yeah again, main reason for not considering DU was not because of that, but because of financial reasons, and I don't think I'll be able to apply for fall semester anyway.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:53 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Quote:
I just wasn't sure if that is going to be that easy, if possible at all. Most I've heard and read are people saying that the big 4 mostly, if not only, hire entry positions through an internship.
The entry level job is most likely not an accounting job.

I don't know what you have been doing the last 5 years, but you need to start putting together a resume of work and life experiences that will get you the job you want. The odds of a Macc from UC being enough is pretty slim because you would have to be top of your class and you have been away for 5 years. So, you need to talk with people at the firms you want to work at about what type of volunteering and job experiences they like to see. Start by calling the recruiting department and tell them an abbreviated version of what you have typed here. What does a recruiter for a big 4 firm think you need to add to your resume?

Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 AM

572 posts, read 552,347 times
my wife is a big 5/final 4 alum, I work public sector (not public practice) in finance/accounting also - we're both about 15 years out...

my personal take is that: fitting the "mold," good to great class standing with the accompanying high GPA, and heavy involvement in campus, major related, extracurricular activities are all key - read: get chummy with the professors, volunteer to run the clubs, don't have bright pink hair, etc, etc, etc.....

that being said, additional experience garnered at a local or regional firm can not be considered a detriment...

you could also reach out to the chairs of the local accountancy programs, and the faculty sponsors of the accounting clubs - Beta Alpha Psi, Metro's ASO, etc - to get more recent Big 4 placement rate information...

Quote:
from what I see and understand, those interns/entry positions at those big firms just get loaded with work and kicked in the ass with crazy long hours every week.

Do they expect them to go through the exam while doing all that, or would they offer programs/schedules to help them with that at all?
the workload doesn't stop when you get out of the internship/entry level positions, btw...
the reality is that the model is all about the billable hours, regardless of what the recruiters and HR are promoting as their current "work life balance" programs...

time spent accomplishing firm mandated training and/or professional licensure pursuits are not billable...

if you are on the bench and un- or under-utilized as a firm resource on a regular basis, you are not performing up to expectations, and are thus subject to being either counseled out, or laid off - to be blunt....

this is all my personal opinion, but based on observation and discussions with folks still in Public Accounting...

Quote:
I'm pretty set on CPA path for now. DU Law school is just a thought at this moment, maybe later on in life when I find the luxury. But yeah again, main reason for not considering DU was not because of that, but because of financial reasons, and I don't think I'll be able to apply for fall semester anyway.
they do have the Macc/JD combo package... maybe the consolidation of the two programs, coupled with the earning potential, could justify the additional expense? the value of your alum network is also something to consider...

it's all up to the value you place on the endeavour though...

good luck -- however you decide to proceed.

Last edited by eatsDEN; 05-14-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsDEN View Post
it's all up to the value you place on the endeavour though...

good luck -- however you decide to proceed.
Thank you so much, really do. It helped a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver