Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:36 PM

360 posts, read 400,037 times

Advertisements

We're contemplating moving to Dennver but have few questions.

1. Weather: how hot does it get in summer and how cold in winters? We've lived in Massachusetts for a long time and winters were simply unbearable. Winters here in Raleigh area are ok but summer is harsh. I've heard that Denver is famous for its sunshine, something like 300 sunny days in a year. How many out of these are temperate i.e. 60 - 80 degrees?

2. Housing/schools/commute: Work will be in south of Denver and we'd like to live close by with good schools. Our budget is 400 - 600k for a single family, 4br, 3000 sq ft, preferably newer home. Any neighborhoods that might fit this criteria?

3. Indian community: we're from India and like to have access to the temple, grocery stores etc. Is there a specific area with larger concentration of Indians and amenities.

4. Things to do: I've heard that there's quite a bit to do outdoors in Denver like trails and access to the mountains but how vibrant is the city itself? We're also interested in activities for kids such as museums, zoo, amusement/ water parks etc. Is there a large water body / lake nearby with an artificial beach of some sorts? Also which are some of the popular destinations close by for weekend trips.

5. Cost of living: quick glance at real estate dispelled any myths about Denver being inexpensive. How about other expenses such as taxes, utilities, groceries, entertainment etc?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:51 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Where is the work location?
Address or cross streets as city/zip is misleading

Old 05-15-2015, 08:54 PM

360 posts, read 400,037 times
Lone tree

Old 05-15-2015, 09:33 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Lone Tree would work, no taxes on food, property taxes about 1%, you could have a new home, or a newer home.

City of Lone Tree is trying to become a community. Denver is fine. Lots of things to do inside and outside.

Low humidity, in general summers can be hot, winters can be cold.

Try living west of work. Less sun glare.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:05 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Lone Tree would work, no taxes on food, property taxes about 1%, you could have a new home, or a newer home.

City of Lone Tree is trying to become a community. Denver is fine. Lots of things to do inside and outside.

Low humidity, in general summers can be hot, winters can be cold.

Try living west of work. Less sun glare.
1. I am not a fan of Douglas County schools (do a search to find out why) and Lone Tree is in Douglas County.

2. Summers are consistently hot (highs in upper 80s - lower 90s) but not. The sun can make it seem hotter if you are in the sun. Winters are NOT consistently cold. It is as likely to be 45 - 55 degrees on any given day as it is to be below 40 degrees. The sun makes many days feel warmer, but the temps drop at night after the sun goes down.

3. Live EAST of work to avoid sun glare, not west. If you live west of work you will drive into the sunrise in the morning and into the sunset in the evening.

4. I recommend living further north near the Denver Tech Center. There is a decent-sized Indian community in the area, though it is not really concentrated. There are Indian shops and businesses further north around Parker Rd and Peoria St. Plus, Cherry Creek Schools are much better. There is a new temple built around Arapahoe Road and Peoria St. in Centennial.

5. Most museums and the zoo are in Denver and these areas are slightly closer. Cherry Creek reservoir is nearby, and it has a swim beach and trails. Most neighborhoods in the area have neighborhood swimming pools.

6. Houses in the are are not new, but nearly all of them have been renovated.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:00 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
1. I am not a fan of Douglas County schools (do a search to find out why) and Lone Tree is in Douglas County.

2. Summers are consistently hot (highs in upper 80s - lower 90s) but not. The sun can make it seem hotter if you are in the sun. Winters are NOT consistently cold. It is as likely to be 45 - 55 degrees on any given day as it is to be below 40 degrees. The sun makes many days feel warmer, but the temps drop at night after the sun goes down.

3. Live EAST of work to avoid sun glare, not west. If you live west of work you will drive into the sunrise in the morning and into the sunset in the evening.

4. I recommend living further north near the Denver Tech Center. There is a decent-sized Indian community in the area, though it is not really concentrated. There are Indian shops and businesses further north around Parker Rd and Peoria St. Plus, Cherry Creek Schools are much better. There is a new temple built around Arapahoe Road and Peoria St. in Centennial.

5. Most museums and the zoo are in Denver and these areas are slightly closer. Cherry Creek reservoir is nearby, and it has a swim beach and trails. Most neighborhoods in the area have neighborhood swimming pools.

6. Houses in the are are not new, but nearly all of them have been renovated.
Great advice here although the "swim beaches" at Cherry Creek Reservoir are kind of gross. Large bodies of water for recreation are the thing we do not have here in general.

The city is quite vibrant. Much more son than Raleigh, but not near what Boston is.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:58 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
I'd second living near the Denver Tech Center. Also, because of the low humidity the summer temps don't feel as hot when you are in the shade. A lot of homes don't have AC!

As far as COL:

taxes are on the lower side.
real estate is high.
Food is high.
Utilities are low.
Entertainment varies. Concerts are average. Hiking/camping is extremely low. Skiing is expensive.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:36 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Explore the areas 10-15 miles from work. Or choose the schools first.

David is correct do NOT live west of work - the glare is brutal. There are newer houses in Douglas County, off Lincoln - called Meridan, and in Parker (the north Parker area.)

There has not been a mass flight out of Douglas County that I am aware of, so one man's opinion is just that.

I have lived in Highlands Ranch since 1999, and have three kids grow into adults here in the DougCo school system.
+

We have Charter Schools for you to investigate too.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:38 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
Love the weather here! We moved here from the DC area last summer and the weather has been one of the best things about the area. It was the mildest winter I've experienced in years. It does get hot in the summer but when you're in the shade it's so much more comfortable than back east. Most of the time I feel energized by the lack of humidity, even when it's hot.

If you're looking for a suburban area, there's also a sizable Indian community in SE Aurora. At least that's how it looks when the students pour out of Cherokee Trail HS at lunchtime and head over to the new King Soopers shopping center. Lots of newer construction in your price range, Cherry Creek schools, and about 30 mins from the specialized Indian shopping areas along Parker Rd. Do a search on zipcode 80016.

One of the things we've had to adjust to is the long distances. Sometime I miss the accessibility of the east-coast metropolitan areas and being able to drive to so many places in just a few hours.

Quote:
5. Cost of living: quick glance at real estate dispelled any myths about Denver being inexpensive. How about other expenses such as taxes, utilities, groceries, entertainment etc?
Groceries seem about the same, movies may be a tad cheaper, water is very expensive, and the sales tax is high. We found the cost of housing to be cheaper than the DC area by about $100k on new construction when talking about homes around $500k.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:45 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
...movies may be a tad cheaper...

Good post. I had to put in a plug for Elvis Cinemas. When I moved here they were a dollar. Now they are $3 before 6 p.m. and $4 after. Still a great deal.

Elvis Cinemas, Prices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver