Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:17 PM

83 posts, read 207,040 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your post!
No pot smoking here, which i know is a big reason why people want to move there.
It is true, although we are not high spenders, the loss of my salary will affect us no doubt...mostly in the retirement/savings area, and yes we might have to compromise on a few things
Even though I mentioned we have 5 months worth of expenses, in an emergency we could technically tap into funds for our retirement if we really needed to, just rather not of course.
Since we are not big spenders we have been able to save up a good amount for retirement, obviously this would be put on hold while we are in one salary.
I think being in a place we like is more important to us than a brand new house with all new things. We currently have a 2 bedroom apt in Florida so now with the baby maybe upgrade to a 3 bedroom or small townhouse. However if we had to settle for a 2 bedroom apartment we are not against it.
We are still trying to explore our options, 8 months ago moving with only one salary wasn't even an option but now we are actually considering it due to the lack of progress on getting a job on my side....
As far as my company they are pretty stubborn about not letting me go there, cos they need me here'. So me moving anywhere and trying to apply to the same company may not be a sure thing...but I will try anything..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 04:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Rmiug jobs list on yahoo groups for computer jobs

Renthighlandplace.com for new rental in convient safe location

Old 05-23-2015, 03:36 AM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
You sound far more "grounded" than a lot of people moving here. If you're wife can make 60K, you'll be fine until you find something you really want. It may be a temporary downgrade in lifestyle but you won't regret it. I moved here with no job and knew no one and it worked out great. It is very difficult to apply for jobs if you don't live here. Just do it.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:11 AM

371 posts, read 493,850 times
I think if your wife has an decent income, you're willing to live somewhat frugally, and have no kids, you should be fine in just heading on out and looking for stuff with a Denver address on your resume rather than a Florida address.

Advice at this point: Try to do a 6-9 month lease on a one bedroom apartment that's not too expensive (no more than $1,000 or $1,100 a month a month, which is limited on inventory but still doable). Location doesn't really matter too much for that short of a timeframe, though if you're concerned about safety, feel free to ask here.

By the time the lease is up, hopefully you'll have steady work and you guys can determine if it's best to stay there or move closer to wherever you're working.

Good luck. You have a decent plan and I think you'll be fine.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:13 AM

Thanks all for the advice, I think we have a mental deadline of September or so for me to find something (and keep saving). If I have been unable to find anything by then, we will probably set this in motion. It is encouraging to hear its doable, hopefully I will find something and this wont be necessary but as times get closer will definitely check back.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:00 PM

22 posts, read 27,931 times
yep, it can be done. my husband and i came out here without jobs, but we did have contacts lined up. i'm a nurse and he's in the bike/ski industry - both of us found work within a week after arriving. we tried sending out resumes before the move, but were told "talk to us once you get out here." scary for sure, but it turned out ok.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:20 PM

64 posts, read 66,993 times
How can this be done? I am an educated lawyer from Florida. I actually really need some actual, practical job leads. Any help out there? No advice, leads please.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:52 AM

We have been discussing with my wife bit more. She has started to look at rentals just go get some ideas and of course they are fairly high, however it seems some suburbs in Denver are not as high as the rest. I believe she mentioned south Aurora, Arvada, Golden as examples.
Can someone comment on these? Are they good areas? I know sometimes areas are cheaper for a reason (eg. dicey areas).
On the other hand, areas to avoid would be great as well. We will definitely make at least a couple of more trips there before we move, but also doing as much legwork as we can online as well.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:46 AM

109 posts, read 141,823 times
South Aurora is nice, but I would think the apartments will be on the higher end as you get closer to Southlands. I can't speak to pricing/quality, but there are some off of Hampden (near Tower) that look nice from the outside and may be more in your price range.

We had the best experience with Timber Creek Apartments in DTC (walkable to restaurants/bars/grocery store) and DTC is centrally located. However, I think our 2BR a few years ago was about $1800/mo.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ8lbb View Post
We have been discussing with my wife bit more. She has started to look at rentals just go get some ideas and of course they are fairly high, however it seems some suburbs in Denver are not as high as the rest. I believe she mentioned south Aurora, Arvada, Golden as examples.
Can someone comment on these? Are they good areas? I know sometimes areas are cheaper for a reason (eg. dicey areas).
On the other hand, areas to avoid would be great as well. We will definitely make at least a couple of more trips there before we move, but also doing as much legwork as we can online as well.
Those are all nice areas. Surprised to see that Golden is less expensive. There are a ton of college students there, so it may have to do with quality, e.g. college student apts tend to have fewer amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver