Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times

Advertisements

First, look into what you have to do to become employed in the US. (You probably already knew that!)

What kind of nursing do you want to do? Hospital? Home health? Office? etc.

Do you want to work in a specialty unit in a hospital?

I don't know a lot about the hospital scence, but I may be able to help a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 12:39 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,352,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Denver Health is the city-owned facility. It will give you a wealth of experience. So will St. Anthony's, which is moving to Lakewood, and University Hospital, which just moved to Aurora. The others, not quite so much "knife and gun club" type places. Whatever you do, wherever you live, DO NOT say you are coming here to ski, hike or whatever. That usually gets your resume thrown in the trash. Most of these hospitals are on 12 hr shifts, so it doesn't really matter where you live as long as it's in the general vicinty.
I thought that Denver Health is no longer a City Owned Facility. That changed a number of years ago. The City of Denver Website:

Denver Health Medical Center - About Us

"...Denver Health for most of its history was a component of city government. In 1997, it became the Denver Health and Hospital Authority, separating its governance from the city government while still serving as the city’s health care system. At the current time, only seven percent of Denver Health revenues come from the city for care for the medically indigent..."

It has numerous clinics that service all Colorado.
Denver Health - Level One Care for ALL (http://www.denverhealth.org/portal/ - broken link)

I do not understand the full status but the name has changed since I been here.

Livecontent

Old 01-20-2008, 08:25 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Well, that's interesting. So Denver Health's status is similar to CU, which also gets only a small percentage of its money from the state. Politics!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 11,301 times
Default Nurses Pay In CO

Hello all,

My wife and I are wanting to move to Colorado within the next 6 months. My wife is a RN and we are wondering the pay scale that nurses get in Colorado. She is really looking for a home care / hospice position but also has experience in the ICU. Any help would be great thanks.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM

431 posts, read 2,121,797 times
Go to salary.com and/or allnurses.com and look up local posts in the CO area and the nurses there will be glad to answer your question.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 11,301 times
Thank you for responding I will check that out

Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,381,350 times
Nursing is out of my line of work, but I will relate this one story. A nurse who treated my Mom a while back in Colorado has lived in the state for 20-odd years. She is an Iowa native and she and her husband are returning to Iowa. She told me that she loves Colorado and hates to leave, but she and her husband (who works in the construction industry) are just tired of barely treading water financially in Colorado's expensive living environment. She said that she can make about the same salary in Iowa, and housing costs where they are moving there are less than half what they are in Colorado--and they don't live in one of Colorado's "fancy" towns. She is a really good nurse and I hate to see her go, but I absolutely understand her dilemma. It's becoming a more and more common one in Colorado.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,657,601 times
Nursing is a career that is highly underpaid relative to the work and responsibilty. My husband is an RN, with a BSN, and if he worked for the hospitals in town, we would be in the poor house. Instead, he is an independent contractor and makes double what he would make as a staff RN. The cost of living is high in Colorado, and the pay for "helping" fields, makes it very difficult to make a living. As a teacher, and a nurse, CO is very expensive, but we do love it. We have looked at other states to move to, mainly Montana, but the pay is even worse there.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 28,369 times
Well if anybody could come up with what the pay range (for RNs)is in CO I would really be interested. I have seen what the real estate market is like and I am interested in just moving out there and buying a house in the suburbs. Possibly going back to school and getting my NP.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,809,481 times
As with any area the size of Denver. Be aware of your surrounding at all times. Especially along Colfax avenue!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver