Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

^^I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,944 times
Thanks for the correction. There is a lack of jobs everywhere now it seems with an exception of Texas. Still, according to hospital websites, theres a lot more positions in Colorado than here in Jax. There are only like 4-10 RN positions per hospital. There used to be hundreds. Hope it gets better nationwide and soon.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 PM

It's always been tight here, at least over the past 30 years that I've been here. Even during so-called "nursing shortages".

Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM

402 posts, read 1,055,944 times
You think its tight there? I just checked Denver one, they have 150 RN positions listed. St Joseph had 61 positions. I have no idea which hospitals are biggest ect out there.

St. Lukes has 17 postings
Denver health, 59 postions

I checked our biggest single hopital here, Shands and they had 11 positions.

I checked our biggest chain of hospitals which includes FIVE hospitals in the area and they had a total of 50 RN jobs between FIVE hospitals.

I checked another major hospital here, memorial, ZERO listings

While it might be bad there, there are much worse places right now.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:10 PM

94 posts, read 492,011 times
While I agree that Denver may have more nursing job openings....for some reason they REALLY take their time to hire. I have no idea why....maybe because there is such a HUGE applicant pool? Who knows....and if anyone does know, PLEASE inform us all.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 PM

19 posts, read 51,361 times
Wow, thanks for all the responses, I'm kind of glad that my post started this detailed debate regarding the living situations in both places. I have to say, as a 25 year old single male, I can not truly comment on property values in terms of buying, only renting. I also can't talk about raising a family in either place but do have some insight on other topics discussed and wanted to put my 2 cents in.

I agree, average pay is definitely less in Denver than in San Diego, though that may be commensurate with the difference in cost of living in each place, as Denver has significantly lower gas prices, rental costs, vehicle registration fees/costs, and food prices (the main things that I have to worry about). Here's another fun little bit of info that reflects the craziness of California prices. I got a red light camera ticket in San Diego and it cost me $500. Yup, five freaking hundred dollars (492 to be exact). Denver, it is somewhere around $50. Things just cost more here in CA and it's no secret that California's economy is kind of in the s**tter, even more so than other states.

As far as being a student who is taking out loans to live and get through school, Denver just seems to make more sense. The waiting lists to get into nursing schools in CA is out of control due to the closing of 3 major schools causing the remaining programs to become impacted beyond belief. Though, I must say, after reading your comments, RickRN, I may go to nursing school in Denver and then get the hell out if the job market for new RN's is as bad as you say.

So, bottom line, I am definitely not sure I want to actually work in CO after nursing school but am hoping that the universities/schools in the area might be worth looking into.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,319 times
Default How difficult to find nursing job?

I want the honest truth please, how difficult is it in denver/ colorado right now to find a nursing job as a new grad? I am willing to work any where and at just about any pay scale. For you fellow nurses....I would like to know what your experience was like when you were a new grad and I am open to any suggestions. I unfortunely I don't have a choice in the matter, so any advice you can give me I am ready and willing to take. Thank You ~ Ty

Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM

94 posts, read 492,011 times
The honest truth??? Well since you asked...it is VERY difficult. If your a new grad RN...you MIGHT have a better chance than a new grad LPN. As with any job in this area there is a lot of competition and there always has been. As long as your willing to take anything at first, you should do ok. I know that most nursing homes and clinics will take new grads....if they are hiring. Good luck with your job hunt.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:13 PM

I had 10 years of nursing experience when we moved here, and it took a while to find a job. I've been in and out of the workforce some, and every time I go back, it takes a while.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,647 times
New RN jobs are hard to find in Colorado. I would suggest getting some kind of part time job in a hospital while going to school at a facility that has a new grad option. Most of the people in our program have some type of hospital experience before or during nursing school. If you stay in California for school I would suggest getting a year of med surg experience as an RN before you try to relocate to Denver; finding a job will be much easier with a little experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver