Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,938 times

Advertisements

Hello< My name is Barbie. i'm relocating to Castle Rock, Co. from Las Vegas, Nevada.....I am a single mom and african American, will I have to worry about my children encountering racism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 10:47 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
Yes, to some degree I would guess. Castle Rock has less than 1% black population. Will it be better or worse on that issue than Vegas, I dunno. It probably will be different.

If you want more diversity, consider southern part of Denver county.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:41 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,051,193 times
It depends on your definition. There are only 273 black people in Castle Rock which is .5% of the population. What your kids will probably encounter is similar to what is described in this post:
//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...t-collins.html

Colorado in general is not racist. People are live and let live. The parents in Castle Rock are probably just fine. Their kids however, stand a good chance of never having seen an African American person. This will probably wear your kids down.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Castle Rock is a very transient town. I lived there a few years ago, and most of my neighbors, including their children had lived elsewhere at some point. So, yes, Douglas County is very white, but that doesn't mean the kids have never seen a black person. OP, I have no idea whether or not Castle a Rock will suit you, but I think racism should be the least of your worries. You should know, however, that Castle Rock is a conservative and somewhat religious town. The first question I often got when meeting someone new was, "Where do you attend church?" If that's your cup of tea, you'll do just fine.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I think people all over Colorado are non-racists,
Of course, in any state you will have a few ignorant people.
Haha, worse is the religious stuff...randomparent is right!

Old 07-20-2015, 11:26 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
.... "Where do you attend church?" .....
Does Mile High Stadium count?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 PM

238 posts, read 696,154 times
Quote:
Castle Rock is a very transient town. I lived there a few years ago, and most of my neighbors, including their children had lived elsewhere at some point. So, yes, Douglas County is very white, but that doesn't mean the kids have never seen a black person. OP, I have no idea whether or not Castle a Rock will suit you, but I think racism should be the least of your worries. You should know, however, that Castle Rock is a conservative and somewhat religious town. The first question I often got when meeting someone new was, "Where do you attend church?" If that's your cup of tea, you'll do just fine.
I've lived in CR for over 3 years now and can agree that the town is predominately white with a population at around 50,000 people right now. Castle Rock is bringing a ton of new restaurants and shops in (more info at Castle Rock, CO - Official Website - Promenade At Castle Rock), is in the process of building a massive park (check out the plans at Castle Rock, CO - Official Website - Philip S. Miller Park), and intends to grow up to 100,000 people at some point in the future. Perhaps we will see an increase in racial diversity with the population growth...

All of my surrounding neighbors in CR have moved to Colorado from out-of-state (myself included) and a few are even from Canada. I am sure there are still the pockets of uber-conservative, religious residents but I haven't seen too much of that in the newer developments where I reside. Speaking from my own experiences, many neighbors seem more interested in rooting for their respective football teams on Sundays than going to church.

OP, maybe bring your kids down for a community event like a movie under the stars or an outdoor concert (more info at 2015 Downtown Events Series | Downtown Castle Rock) and see firsthand if you and your kids would be happy in the community.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:38 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
One (only?) fly in the ointment, long term, is the someone iffy situation Castle Rock has with its water supply as water is a huge issue here in the west.

Reading up on the topic of water for Castle Rock is recommended.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:43 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
One (only?) fly in the ointment, long term, is the someone iffy situation Castle Rock has with its water supply as water is a huge issue here in the west.

Reading up on the topic of water for Castle Rock is recommended.
Yes, indeed. If you buy there, OP, do not get sucked into a large sodded yard, because the water bill will bankrupt you. However, your power bill will probably be a pleasant surprise. IREA rocks!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:47 PM

238 posts, read 696,154 times
Quote:
Yes, indeed. If you buy there, OP, do not get sucked into a large sodded yard, because the water bill will bankrupt you. However, your power bill will probably be a pleasant surprise. IREA rocks!
Very valid point with the water! Xeriscaping is popular down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver