Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:28 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
AverieJ, Thanks for taking the time and put these pics up. I love watching Denver through your pictures. I've never been there and was considering to move some where close to there. I have decided to home instead next year, hopefully, but you have made it hard again to not reconsider CO!!! Tattered Cover is the bookstore are SUPPOSED to look like! Wow, that is my favorite! I never realized just what Downtown denver really was. I'm more impressed than I thought. Too bad you can't take your bullie-mix dogs there. My biggest negative of moving there.

Sigh, thanks for making it even more difficult to not think about it! LOL Keep it coming if you can. Make sure you take pictures of that Lounge you guys are talking about.
Thank you! I really enjoy sharing the pictures. I know how helpful I found them, myself, when I was planning my move to Denver. The city is truly wonderful, I really hope you reconsider and give Denver a chance - even if only for a year - before going back to Chicago. If you don't, you may miss out on some of the best experiences of your life, I know I would've. I'm from Wisconsin, originally, so we're from the same neck of the woods. How could you choose Chicago over Denver?! Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAChangeFromFL View Post
Averie - I am so jealous...will you come back to FL to pick me up?? =0)
I think I see you on I-95. You're the one runnning NW like a maniac? If I didn't have to drive through Kansas again, I'd be filling up the tank right now.

Come on, NeedAChange, whatcha waitin' for? Get your butt out here already. As my Grandpappy used to say, "One of these days is none of these days." Actually that's an Old English Proverb, but everything sounds better when it supposedly comes from "Grandpappy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 12:37 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Default Civic Center at Christmas

I didn't see a picture of Denver's City and County building on this thread so here is one I shot on Thursday night. Some think it is overkill but I am glad this tradition continues!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 PM

237 posts, read 1,081,388 times
Beautiful picture, DenverAztec! Thank you for posting it. How can too many lights be overkill? I LOVE it!

Old 12-16-2007, 06:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
[color=blue]Denver's City and County building.....
Do my eyes deceive me or is that a nativity scene to the right of the steps and does it actually say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays on the roof? You mean there's still some place in America where Christmas hasn't been watered down by the political correctness police?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Yes, that is a nativity scene, or as my nephew use to call it - an activity scene! And, it even says "Merry Christmas" on the building. Several years ago there was much controversy that the city was paying for the lights and the fact that there was a nativity scene on the steps. After some significant debate the city cut the funding for it but a "Save the Lights" campagin was started and local business picked up the tab. Since it is not a permanent fixture and not paid for with governmental funds, the lights continue. The baby Jesus has been swiped a few times, and periodic complaints are voiced, but the lights are still greatly appreciated and admired. They even continue on until the National Western Stock shows ends in late January. So yes, Christmas has been watered down but it is not costing the city thousands. When the KKK and NeoNazis' had a rally on the steps of the Capitol on the same day as the Martin Luther King marade (March/Parade), also several years ago, it spawned riots and cost the city police department/Denver citizens thousands.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:34 AM

205 posts, read 989,682 times
Yes, that is me. I have a sign strapped to me that says "Please Adopt Me If You Are Going To CO!".

I want to leave but we need to save a little more money and my son is gonna finish the school year here (ends in May). I have another semester of college left also which ends in May. So, I think we are looking at June '08. =0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averie-Jay View Post
I think I see you on I-95. You're the one runnning NW like a maniac? If I didn't have to drive through Kansas again, I'd be filling up the tank right now.

Come on, NeedAChange, whatcha waitin' for? Get your butt out here already. As my Grandpappy used to say, "One of these days is none of these days." Actually that's an Old English Proverb, but everything sounds better when it supposedly comes from "Grandpappy".

Old 12-18-2007, 11:00 AM

104 posts, read 338,985 times
After looking at those pictures it has reconfirmed our decision to move back to Denver. I can't wait to get there and walk the city streets taking in the changes since we left.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:54 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,126 times
I always liked Colorado, always will.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
I didn't see a picture of Denver's City and County building on this thread so here is one I shot on Thursday night. Some think it is overkill but I am glad this tradition continues!
That is a beautiful picture and I hope Denver always keeps this tradition.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-19-2008 at 05:46 PM..

Old 12-26-2007, 08:58 PM

76 posts, read 419,926 times
Oh wow! Tattered Cover Bookstore! I love that place. I havent been to it in nearly 8 years and when I did go inside, I was in heaven. Thanks for posting the pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver