Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 03:19 PM

74 posts, read 84,512 times

Advertisements

Iam 23 and i really want to move to denver during the summer of next year after visiting one of my friends last summer. I know prices out there for apartments are pretty expensive even on the outer suburbs of denver, which is where I'd like to live ex. Westminister, arvada, parts of lakewood, littleton. iam just curious what the price of a one bedroom Aprt that's not super fancy is cause from what I've seen that's what are bring built, and $1000 or just under to about 950 gets you a decent nothing special aprt.
Also how easy is it to find a job that allows you to live decently with some extra spending money and what kind of job would pay that cause with my job at a car dealer ship in wichita ks I make only the aprt rent in denver. I really want to move there cause I've visited several times and I love it more everytime I come to colorado, it's just I don't live there and don't know the Job market at all and the prices keep climbing every year I wait but maybe iam blind to the outside world here in wichita where everything is cheap plus I can't stand the tornados here in southern wichita it's like the doorway into the city for them here, it would be nice to be somewhat free of them.
What are some other things that iam not aware of about moving to denver from a cheap city and state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:41 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,573,642 times
Is it possible to take some vacation time and stay with the friend you visited last summer while you look for a job? If you're single with no dependents it's a lot easier to give Denver a try. If it fails to pan out you can always go back home.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:35 PM

That's what I planned on doing except my friend moved back to wichita due to kidney issues, assuming his lack of water intake so iam on my own this time but I have quite a bit of money saved, all I need is a job that pays well what ever those jobs are

Old 06-07-2015, 03:01 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,860,649 times
Do you have any schooling or training? You don't necessarily need a bachelors degree but some type of specialized skill is needed for most good paying jobs (to me good paying means at least $18.00/hr). If you plan on moving without having a job lined up I'd have $5k or $6k saved up. If you don't have any schooling, training or certifications then maybe you could just get a crappy home depot/coffee house job to get you by while your in school.

Denver really isn't that expensive compared to many major metro areas in the US. I guess what I'm trying to say is, just about any place is going to be more expensive than Wichita, even KC.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:08 AM

117 posts, read 137,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
...Denver really isn't that expensive compared to many major metro areas in the US...
Compared to which cities?

Because Denver is certainly more expensive than most major metros not in the Northeast or California..

Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Do you have any schooling or training? You don't necessarily need a bachelors degree but some type of specialized skill is needed for most good paying jobs (to me good paying means at least $18.00/hr). If you plan on moving without having a job lined up I'd have $5k or $6k saved up. If you don't have any schooling, training or certifications then maybe you could just get a crappy home depot/coffee house job to get you by while your in school.

Denver really isn't that expensive compared to many major metro areas in the US. I guess what I'm trying to say is, just about any place is going to be more expensive than Wichita, even KC.
Iam looking to get forklift training this fall at my job so I'd have a skill that's at least usefull before I move out there, also I won't move until I have a job cause I find that kind of reckless and irresponsible on my behalf cause I don't want to move there and fail to find any work waste all my money and become homeless like some people have become. I also have more money saved for the move than you mentioned and thanks for giving your estimate on how much to save to get here, I rarely ever hear anyone give advice on how much to have saved up to get there they sometimes talk like "it'll be fine, nothing to worry about just move here its great". Also what you said about wichita is true it's one of the cheapest places to live so you get what you pay for here cause there's nothing really here though your money does go alot farther here than kc and okc or anyother city or state I've been to, I guess iam just spoiled

Old 06-13-2015, 07:29 PM

450 posts, read 504,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jHolman91 View Post
Iam looking to get forklift training this fall at my job so I'd have a skill that's at least usefull before I move out there, also I won't move until I have a job cause I find that kind of reckless and irresponsible on my behalf cause I don't want to move there and fail to find any work waste all my money and become homeless like some people have become. I also have more money saved for the move than you mentioned and thanks for giving your estimate on how much to save to get here, I rarely ever hear anyone give advice on how much to have saved up to get there they sometimes talk like "it'll be fine, nothing to worry about just move here its great". Also what you said about wichita is true it's one of the cheapest places to live so you get what you pay for here cause there's nothing really here though your money does go alot farther here than kc and okc or anyother city or state I've been to, I guess iam just spoiled
Just some food for thought...You might score a nice gig as a forklift driver, but chew on this idea for the winter months. When it snows, many of the mountain homes are completely snowed in. Yeah, the streets get plowed by the city or HOA but you are on you own for clearing your driveway. The last dump we had here in Evergreen stacked 2 feet of heavy wet snow on my driveway. I couldn't shovel it. I couldn't bash through with my Jeep. Basically "stuck" in my garage. After about 27 phone calls, I found a guy who agreed to come and plow me out. It took him about 30 minutes and I paid him $75.00. (Not bad pay for a guy with a truck and a plow). Could be some great extra income.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:02 AM

I wasn't planning on living right up aginst the mountains, I was going to get an appartment a little deeper in the suburbs. Is snow that bad out there I knew it was more than where I live but it doesn't bother me to much we get enough here that iam use to driving in it or having to clear a path for my car once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver