Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 PM

549 posts, read 292,288 times

Advertisements

Born in California, uprooted to NYC at age 6. Never felt at home there.

Left NYC for PA last year. Realized just how much I had hated NYC, and how "rootless" I am.

Don't want to go to CA for many of the reasons I don't want to go back to NYC.

Denver, according to the internet, is a mid-sized city, with nice weather, easy access to beautiful nature, and a tolerant atmosphere, which are all gigantic pluses for me. Sounds like a place I can put down roots, live out my days...

Maybe even meet a few kindred spirits -- easy-going, free-thinking, nature-loving types... (They don't come in the female variety in the cities I've experienced so far...)

Problem is, my career sucks. I was a marketing writer in the publishing industry back east, and I don't expect to find that kind of work in Denver, at least not for me at age 50.

Since I know a bit about front-end web development -- the basics of HTML, CSS, Javascript, Jquery (and learning PHP) -- I'm hoping I can find work related to that ... or maybe something in tech support.

In short, whatever I find, I won't be raking in the dough.

I plan to find work out there before I make the move.

... So my question is, what are some areas you'd recommend I look for housing? I don't need much -- a 1 b.r. or even a studio will do just fine...

As I hear it, finding an affordable place in Denver proper will be hard -- so what towns outside of Denver proper will make for a reasonable commute?

I have a car, but I also like to have public transportation as a back-up... Do these towns have public transportation into Denver?

What towns (or areas) can I count on not being treated like an alien -- being a "lone black male" and all? (I'm 50, I've had my fill, the less stress I have to deal with, the better...) Are there places I shouldn't even bother looking for housing? (There sure are in NYC... I don't want to waste time & hassle...)

Any other considerations special to my case?

Right now I'm just at the planning/job hunt stage. Any and all comments and insights are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 06:53 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Come for a visit, and base your housing needs on the job location. We do have public transportation. See RTD for bus & light rail routes.

We do not really have towns outside of Denver. We have suburbs. The MSA is Denver-Aurora. Aurora is a pretty large city, compared to the others.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:13 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
1. RMIUG jobs list on Yahoo Groups

2. Greater Denver is more similar to Los Angeles (on a much smaller scale) than Philadelphia when it comes to sprawl and towns around the big city.

3. The black population of Colorado is 4%. Denver is 9% and falling very slowly. Aurora is 10% and growing very slowly. You should PM SkinsFan82 for a black male perspective. (Ignore the aspect that he is a delusional Redskins fan.)

Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
i have been traveling a good bit of the country for work over the past 6 months and gotten to see parts of the south and east that I had never seen before.

The reason I bring this up is that I feel like I have a better understanding of what people are looking for when they say "town near Denver" and I think it is something that we lack compared to the east. I was in Pittsburgh last week and drove from there to Nemacolin and got to see a lot of small towns. We don't have many places like that. It's not to say there aren't any, but mostly we have suburbs.

From a happiness standpoint, it would probably make sense to just grab a studio close in for $1000 a month

Old 06-03-2015, 03:22 PM

549 posts, read 292,288 times
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I know that in New York the further you move outside of NYC, the less you'll pay in rent. I'm guessing it's the same around Denver, so I was hoping to pinpoint areas where the cost of rent is lower, but still within commuting range of downtown (by public transportation in a pinch).

Are the Denver suburbs like that?

Special thanks dave for pointing me to the jobs list. (I've also pm'd Skinsfan... )

Old 06-03-2015, 04:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I know that in New York the further you move outside of NYC, the less you'll pay in rent. I'm guessing it's the same around Denver, so I was hoping to pinpoint areas where the cost of rent is lower, but still within commuting range of downtown (by public transportation in a pinch).

Special thanks dave for pointing me to the jobs list. (I've also pm'd Skinsfan... )
I think it really depends on what your price range ends up being. There are parts of Lakewood that are near a light rail line, and I think prices are lower than in the city of Denver.

They're building a light rail line through Aurora right now. Southern Aurora is nice, but very suburban. Not so much "small town" though.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture View Post

No.
In upstate NY, there is always more town just a bit further away.
East of Aurora is nothing. Just prairie and prairie dogs. Until you to Kansas City.
It blew my mind when I moved here from the suburbs of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver