Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:06 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
it's about the same. I'm very familiar with the southwest and the "brownness" is pretty comparable from one state to the next. Denver's "trees", "parks' and "greenness" are entirely artificial. Meaning that it's the result of planting trees and watering them, not because trees and grass grow naturally in the area. Take a look at the land surrounding Denver to see what I mean.
Probably playing right to your point, much of the green that there is in Phoenix, from lawns to golf courses to (non natural) parks is supplied by a similar mechanism...though in Phoenix it's often supported by *flooding* the area intentionally rather than using sprinklers or something of that nature. I think the heat in Phoenix makes it more difficult to sustain just by baking what green there is, whereas Denver, where it can get warm, suffers more from being downright arid. As 80skeys points out, look at the land beyond the burbs to see how much we are trying to sustain here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
I really disagree that one is a hands down winner against the other. Besides, the beauty is relative. I love the high plains and I love the Sonoran Desert, but for different reasons. Both survive due to a brief influx of water during certain seasons...except in the cities where most of the greenery is supplied through artificial watering. They are very different environments, but both share the attribute that much of the year they are not that green.

Fourteen years in Phoenix taught me that there could be periods of great beauty there...Denver has shown me a different kind of beauty. If it really was "green" someone was looking for then the Pacific Northwest or East Coast sound more likely to provide a steady state of greenery.

Out west? We're all here for a different kind of beauty. The green here is just a little tease...the icing on the cake.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:04 AM

88 posts, read 139,063 times
You'll definitely find plenty of native Minnesotans in each place.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josher_m View Post
Hello!

We just moved from Chandler, AZ last month before Thanksgiving. For the exact same reasons you just listed. We lived in AZ for 3 years, in which time I devloped asthma (mild but there), my husband struggled terribly with it and my 4 yo ended up in the ER at the age of 2 and was put on a nebulizer. The constant allergies caused asthma, broke our immune systems and we were sick constantly while living there. Seriously . .last year we spent an average of $500.00 a month from Sept to Feb in dr's copays and scripts alone for a family of 4. Both my husband and son ended up with tonsillectemies earlier this year as a result as well. After 2 years of watching my husband and son struggle, we decided we wanted a healthier environment.

While, I can't really answer your question yet as a month is too soon to tell, I can say that myself and my son are not even taking our daily allergy meds since moving here and have been fine. My husband said he's breathing better too so far. I don't even think he's using his Advair and barely uses his inhaler anymore after moving!

IF your asthma is allergy driven, I just wanted to share what our dr told us. The climate and altitude here will most likely be better for us. However, if you ever move back down to the valley or even a long visit, your sinuses will really suffer once they get used to the climate and altitude here. Not sure how true that is and everyone is different, but I thought it was interesting.
Vw
As you know, I'm sure Phoenix winters are the worst!! There is NO weather to blow out the air so the air quality is awful in the winter. You look forward to the cooler temps but then you can't breathe, which isn't much of a payoff! hehe

Anyway, just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I took a pay cut in moving here and my husband is still looking for work, but we can breathe. Priceless!! lol And the traffic is nothing compared to Phoenix. I actually get to sleep in an hour every morning now because there is none. Locals talk as if the traffic is an issue, but it's nothing compared to Phoenix, LA or Seattle. It actually moves and the only (ok, well mostly lol) freeway accidents I've heard on the traffic reports are after a snowstorm!

Good luck with your decision!! I absolutely hated AZ so anything was/is better in my opinion.

Sherrie
I was wondering how things have worked out for you and your family in Colorado? Are you still there? I live in Chandler and am curious about the area over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver