Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 09:56 AM

897 posts, read 1,258,243 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So unfortunately with all the water we got in North Park Hill my basement got flooded. I was able to get someone out here last night and do an emergency cleanup - ripped out the carpets, vacuumed everything, etc. We know where the problem is (besides the fact that park hill got 1.5 feet of rain in an hour) but are looking for recommendations for the following:

1. Basement restoration company
2. Landscaper that is available to do emergency mediation (extend the downspout, fill in a concavity to the egress window, etc)
3. Basement waterproofing company.

If you know anyone or can recommend someone you've worked with can you please get back to me ASAP?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 05:20 AM

2,645 posts, read 1,857,267 times
That is horrible. My home in Aurora had the same problem, don't live there anymore. Our problem started after the city put in new streets and sidewalks. (Really never thought of that until a man here in the Colorado Springs area, had similar problems.) The pipes were routed wrong, or some cause, I would never have thought of.

A friend of mine has a sump pump....that works. Our home in Aurora was on a hill, landscaped away from the house and we changed the downspouts to go down the hill......still water every time it rained. You might want to check if recent changes to city engineering has changed? Just a thought. Good luck, I know it's a nightmare.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:33 AM

5,850 posts, read 6,243,717 times
This seems to be an ongoing problem in many areas of town, with the builders' **** poor grading of lots the most often cited source of the problem. In many areas of the country where rain is more common, like the PNW, builders have to adhere to higher level building codes about this. And, out course, we don't get much rain here as they always say, and yet.....this happens to many people. For instance, many people here in Stapleton have this issue. Our basement is unfinished, but we had a small amount of water in it after the terrible flood of Sept 2013. When we bought our house in 2012, it did just recently have a sump pump installed, but it was not enough. What really seems to make a difference is installing pumps in the window wells (along with the regrading, changing downspouts etc).

Not long ago, my husband proactively installed pumps in 2 window wells himself. It was a messy, difficult job, but one he's capable of doing. I would strongly recommend that anyone who lives in a home where this seems to happen get that done.

And, keep your fingers crossed that the moisture from Tropical storm Blanca that hit Baja doesn't make it this far North....

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 06-09-2015 at 06:28 AM..

Old 06-17-2015, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 7,252 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]@ayoitzrimz That sounds terrible, I hope you are able to get the problemfixed quickly and affordably.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]@Texas Ag93 and others who have built newconstruction in the Stapleton. Did anyone have basement flooding ordid the sump pumps and grading work fine last week? We're looking atdoing new construction in Stapleton (Willow Park East) and need to decidesoon if we are to build out our basement, but with what we just saw on the newsand what happened to @ayoitzrimz we're a little nervous. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 AM

897 posts, read 1,258,243 times
You have to make your own decision - many people finish out their basement and make it a living space, many choose not to. I can tell you that the amount of rain and flooding we got is not a common occurrence - 1,400 basements flooded in the Denver metro area (and 1.5 INCHES of rain in an hour not FEET LOL - see my OP, would be a lot worse off if we got 1.5 FEET of rain in an hour). Some say due to El Nino (sorry I can't make that little squiggly so don't jump on my case here) others say due to climate change.

We don't know. Denver is usually dry right? And yet Boulder and Lyons got hit with some of the worst flooding ever just 2 years back and Denver is getting hit with a ton of rain this year. At the end of the day, most regular remediation steps help and work - things like grading around the foundation, extending waterspouts, keeping gutters clean, etc etc. But who knows? We can get trapped under a storm that dumps 12 inches of rain over a few days and is stuck between two air masses next week, or we can stay dry for years to come.

There are things you can do especially before the basement is finished - things like sump pumps, french drains, etc. But you could install these tomorrow and never have to use them or you can skip them and wish you had installed them.

Or the house can burn down tomorrow. I am nervous too about flooding honestly, and wish we didn't have to go through that, but at the end of the day you can't let fear dictate your life (a sizable emergency fund certainly helps).

I was thinking about making my basement more water tolerant - raised floors are out of the question since I already have low ceilings but replacing the carpet with slate tile is an option, as is a sump pump. Again, I know you are nervous, but at the end of the day you simply cannot predict what would happen. For instance most houses that flooded are not even in a flood zone and probably had some steps taken to move water away from the foundation but the ground simply could not handle all the water so it had to go somewhere.

Finally - weather is localized to an extreme degree - more than I've seen anywhere else! Park hill can be sunny while North Park Hill floods, and vice versa. The other day we were promised clear skies only to drive into a hail storm as soon as we crossed Monaco. One side is sunny, the other looks like a monsoon. Madness I tell you! Buggy software
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver