Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 02:13 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_in_Denver View Post
I started this thread based on a hunch generated from my experience -- that the MJ industry is the single largest driving force for the recent increase in rents for single family homes in the city.

I had no proof, so now I'm trying to find some studies that might have facts that support my thesis.

But first, some basic cause and effect:

Prices go up when supply is tight, due to consumer competition. The supply of housing gets tighter when there is more demand, and supply (construction) doesn't keep up. Population growth causes more demand, and increased jobs bring the increased population. Construction can't keep up because it's a much slower process than someone just moving to Denver.

Therefore job growth is the cause of rent growth.

"Metro Denver and Northern Colorado Industry bi Clusters - Competitive Advantages
(one-year/five-year employment out know what confirmation growth in parentheses):

(#1): Aerospace - Colorado had the nation’s second-largest aerospace economy (behind California) in 2016 with 25,500 workers. Companies in the nine-county region employed about 79 percent of these workers, ranking the region second in private-sector aerospace employment concentration out of the 50 largest metropolitan areas. (1.9%/2.3%)" from (1)

"As of December 2015, the state had issued 26,929 occupational licenses to workers employed at medical and recreational cannabis companies – a whopping 68% increase from December 2014, according to data provided by the Colorado Department of Revenue."
from (2)

So the marijuana industry apparently has the highest number of jobs in the state and is still growing incredibly fast. So I think this proves my original point.
Do you know what confirmation bias is?

Do you know that when scientists have a theory, they try to disprove it in order to test its validity?

Your approach is completely wrong. We've shown you why it's wrong. You don't seem to care to listen.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:17 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,942,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Do you know what confirmation bias is?

Do you know that when scientists have a theory, they try to disprove it in order to test its validity?

Your approach is completely wrong. We've shown you why it's wrong. You don't seem to care to listen.
I wonder if he were to put "Crackheads welcome" in his ad, would he then be here complaining that Denver has a crack problem?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I wonder if he were to put "Crackheads welcome" in his ad, would he then be here complaining that Denver has a crack problem?
Pot leads to crack. Just ask all the anti-pot people.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:29 PM

207 posts, read 478,493 times
Well I was just trying to move beyond opinions into facts.
Jobs=housing demand=rent growth

MJ has added the most jobs of any industry in CO since 2012, from the reports I've found.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:31 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,061,221 times
occupational licenses aren't the same thing as jobs. Do you have any stats of how many people are actually currently employed and supporting themselves with a job in the MJ industry?

Old 05-11-2017, 05:55 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_in_Denver View Post
Well I was just trying to move beyond opinions into facts.
Jobs=housing demand=rent growth

MJ has added the most jobs of any industry in CO since 2012, from the reports I've found.
Bro, we've posted data and charts. You ignored them.

You have an opinion and nothing is going to stand in the way of it.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:25 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,079,512 times
The Marijuana legalization and the reopening of oilfields could also explain why the Denver metro seems to be a hotbed for truck driver hiring. Too many drivers leaving for the fields, or getting fired over positive DOT drug screens. I might have to head up there in the case this Lubbock position falls through.

Some of us just want to go up there to work and get our foot in the door to other places. Everyone else wants the scenery, or the munchies.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:52 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,321,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
occupational licenses aren't the same thing as jobs. Do you have any stats of how many people are actually currently employed and supporting themselves with a job in the MJ industry?
I don't think that question is answerable, which could be why there is considerable disagreement on the degree of the effect.

One good example is warehouse space in Denver. Ever since legalization there has been a shortage of warehouse space, because all of the available warehouses were snapped up instantly for growing space when legalization occurred. Since then there has been a big construction boom in warehouses.

The construction of warehouses employs engineers, architects, laborers, electricians, sheet rockers, framers, and many others. But those same workers are also employed in construction projects unrelated to the MJ boom, so how could one ever calculate how much of their work is directly related to the cannabis industry, in order to determine how many extra jobs has been created because of MJ warehouse construction?

I don't think anyone here is saying all of changes in the housing market has occurred because of legal cannabis. Conversely, I think even the most skeptical posters in this thread concede that it has had at least a small effect. But I think the effect is more significant than most are giving it credit for.

Last edited by Raddo; 05-11-2017 at 09:00 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 10:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 693,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I don't think that question is answerable, which could be why there is considerable disagreement on the degree of the effect.

One good example is warehouse space in Denver. Ever since legalization there has been a shortage of warehouse space, because all of the available warehouses were snapped up instantly for growing space when legalization occurred. Since then there has been a big construction boom in warehouses.

The construction of warehouses employs engineers, architects, laborers, electricians, sheet rockers, framers, and many others. But those same workers are also employed in construction projects unrelated to the MJ boom, so how could one ever calculate how much of their work is directly related to the cannabis industry, in order to determine how many extra jobs has been created because of MJ warehouse construction?

I don't think anyone here is saying all of changes in the housing market has occurred because of legal cannabis. Conversely, I think even the most skeptical posters in this thread concede that it has had at least a small effect. But I think the effect is more significant than most are giving it credit for.
Denver has been on a large upslope since 2000. Well before MJ became legal.

Denver, CO population

Old 05-12-2017, 06:43 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,321,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Denver has been on a large upslope since 2000. Well before MJ became legal.

Denver, CO population
That is not a helpful answer.

If you are saying that the MJ industry has not created tens of thousands of jobs in the Denver area, including construction jobs, then you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver