Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 11:41 PM

850 posts, read 796,336 times

Advertisements

This is helpful, I wanted to move to denver, but didn't realize its as expensive as Chicago now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
People making poverty wages should get roomates its how people have lived for thousands of years in small groups. An entire apartment to yourself is a first world luxury.
When was an entire 1 bedroom apt not designed for one person, yeah you can fit 2 people, but depending on space it may not be ideal. Unless you are a illegal from mexico you are used to living 5 people in a 1 bedroom.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:50 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
When was an entire 1 bedroom apt not designed for one person, yeah you can fit 2 people, but depending on space it may not be ideal. Unless you are a illegal from mexico you are used to living 5 people in a 1 bedroom.
Well either make more or make cutbacks find some roommates or look for a cheaper city. An entire apartment to yourself though is a luxury make no mistake about it if you have one you are living better than the vast majority of the globe.

Last edited by BornintheSprings; 06-21-2015 at 08:55 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 AM

371 posts, read 494,027 times
We're probably moving when our lease is up. I'm at the point where I can't keep doing the Thornton/Lone Tree commute, and my partner is no longer working up in Boulder as of next week, so the place is no longer even remotely central.

Currently we pay just under $1200 a month for 1 bedroom + den + garage. The apartment is pretty nice, the neighborhood is meh, the location no longer works. We're looking for something further south, preferably semi-close to light rail, pet friendly.

Budget is about $1300 a month. Looking around, the best we can probably do is one bedroom, no garage, no den. That's near the top of the budget, where if we're paying that there's not a whole lot of savings that can be done to purchase a home.

This city is just getting to be a bit much.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:49 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,187 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how it works in AZ but Denver Metro FD's are very strict when it comes to occupancy rates for apartments. If I remember, most 1 bedrooms are capped at 2 adults with no more than 1 minor. If they exceed occupancy, the FD will either ask the landlord to remedy the situation or negate the lease. A fire does not need to occur, someone can just turn them in with a phone call.

Considering Denver's market seems to be about as bad for availability as NYC, I'm surprised people haven't resorted to ratting out neighbors for violating fire code to free up rental apartments.

I would agree with another poster. For what you are paying now, Denver really isn't worth it. It's a nice place but considering you still need a vehicle to do most everything (or 2hrs of free time for mass transit), the location doesn't warrant high rents.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I'm not sure how it works in AZ but Denver Metro FD's are very strict when it comes to occupancy rates for apartments. If I remember, most 1 bedrooms are capped at 2 adults with no more than 1 minor. If they exceed occupancy, the FD will either ask the landlord to remedy the situation or negate the lease. A fire does not need to occur, someone can just turn them in with a phone call.

Considering Denver's market seems to be about as bad for availability as NYC, I'm surprised people haven't resorted to ratting out neighbors for violating fire code to free up rental apartments.

I would agree with another poster. For what you are paying now, Denver really isn't worth it. It's a nice place but considering you still need a vehicle to do most everything (or 2hrs of free time for mass transit), the location doesn't warrant high rents.
I lived in Chicago, Atlanta, Scottsdale its all the same, maybe denver's rules are different. You need a car in just about every state except NY,D.C.,chicago,maybe san fran and boston, the US is a car centric place unlike Asia and Europe were public transit is the primary way to get around.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:44 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Well either make more or make cutbacks find some roommates or look for a cheaper city. An entire apartment to yourself though is a luxury make no mistake about it if you have one you are living better than the vast majority of the globe.
Yes, yes, that race to the bottom argument and such.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:16 AM

572 posts, read 552,164 times
Quote:
unlike Asia and Europe were public transit is the primary way to get around.

not all of Asia is set up for easy public mass transit, IME and travels at least

Old 06-22-2015, 04:09 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
People find ways to survive off $10-12 an hour wages in Coastal California cities. As pointed out it often involves roomates or multiple income families. If they dont or they require too many sacrifices they look to distant suburbs or move out of the area completely. Why should it be any different in Denver or elsewhere?

Old 06-22-2015, 04:24 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
People find ways to survive off $10-12 an hour wages in Coastal California cities. As pointed out it often involves roomates or multiple income families. If they dont or they require too many sacrifices they look to distant suburbs or move out of the area completely. Why should it be any different in Denver or elsewhere?
Yea it was not uncommon for people making 6 figures to share an apartment with two friends in order to live in Manhattan nyc. I was never a fan so I chose to live further out. Meant a longer commute (1.5 hours each way on the bus) but again you make do with what you have. Or you move somewhere cheaper which is what we ended up doing. It sucks that Denver is getting so expensive (again for us it's a bargain compared to nyc prices) but it might be time for folks who can't afford the lifestyle they want here to look for alternatives (castle rock to downtown commute or commuting from far out east, roommates, or move o a cheaper city if that's an option - and that is what I would do if I was still renting honestly).

Is it fair? Not at all, it sucks to be in that predicament, but it is the reality we live in. Now whether Denver can command such prices is a matter of personal opinion - surely the haters will come out against it- but I can assure you there are many people in NYC, SF, CH etc who will say the same thing (rents shouldn't be THIS high that should be lower by xyz , get over yourselves cities and start charging reasonable rents, the city doesn't offer nearly enough to make up for the rent prices etc etc) but at the end of the day the complainers will complain, the lucky will continue to get lucky, the hard workers will make it work, the market will charge what people are willing to pay and all is the same as it always has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver