Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,080 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
This is my first thread and I am in need of some help from those of you in the Denver area.

I have been to Colorado 3 times in the past 3 years, hear nothing but great things, and think it is beautiful. I am currently living on Long Island in New York where it is so expensive and am 26 years old. I truly believe that Denver will offer a more relaxed fit than LI and give me a better quality of life as well bang for my buck.

However, that being said, there are a few reservations I am having. In order to move, I would need to be in an area where it would allow me to have a social life, and meet others in and around my age. It is no easy task to move to a city where I do not know a soul and would seriously like to put myself in a good position to do so.

As far as my career, I am a licensed CPA in New York holding a Masters Degree. with a fair amount of experience in the accounting and finance fields. I would certainly hire a head-hunter to look for a position for me- but where still remains the question. I do not mind spending $1400-$1500 a month on rent either.

I am looking for some help from anyone out there as I begin my initial process of moving.

Thank you all in advance!

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 11:32 AM

238 posts, read 696,257 times
Hi OP:

The rent for the more urban, "hip" areas is going to be pretty high... Check out this map to get an idea of what you might be looking at:

Apartments for Rent in Denver, CO - Rentals

Denver (LODO), Boulder, and perhaps Golden would likely be the highest concentration of young professionals but that's not to say you won't meet people your age in the 'burbs. I'm in my late twenties and live about 30 minutes outside of downtown but regularly meet people at my gym, by joining co-ed sports teams, stopping by at community events, etc. If you are into the outdoors, there are a ton of interest groups you can join plus don't discount coworkers. That said, if you're looking for a variety of nightlife activities at your doorstep, you won't be happy in the suburbs.

My suggestion is find the job first, then start looking at what's a reasonable commute and narrow it down from there.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndelcore41 View Post
Hi All,
This is my first thread and I am in need of some help from those of you in the Denver area.

I have been to Colorado 3 times in the past 3 years, hear nothing but great things, and think it is beautiful. I am currently living on Long Island in New York where it is so expensive and am 26 years old. I truly believe that Denver will offer a more relaxed fit than LI and give me a better quality of life as well bang for my buck.

However, that being said, there are a few reservations I am having. In order to move, I would need to be in an area where it would allow me to have a social life, and meet others in and around my age. It is no easy task to move to a city where I do not know a soul and would seriously like to put myself in a good position to do so.

As far as my career, I am a licensed CPA in New York holding a Masters Degree. with a fair amount of experience in the accounting and finance fields. I would certainly hire a head-hunter to look for a position for me- but where still remains the question. I do not mind spending $1400-$1500 a month on rent either.

I am looking for some help from anyone out there as I begin my initial process of moving.

Thank you all in advance!

Nick

Old 06-22-2015, 11:42 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
It seems like that amount for rent would be insufficient, especially for anything of the caliber that you are probably used to. With the Internet available, I'm sure you'd find ways of connecting/socializing with others.

The big uncertainty - in my mind - would be if you'd feel connected and comfortable with the feel and culture of Colorado; being infinitely different from NY and the East Coast. It's a whole different world in terms of history, mindset, and environment. For one thing, communication could be quite different. Where in NY one might speak out verbally or with body language in some situation, it's more restrained here. A person can really stand out if they aren't on their guard all the time, and non-natives are often viewed differently than natives. It's often not even something consciously going on, it's just deep-rooted differences at work...

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 06-22-2015 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-22-2015, 04:32 PM

126 posts, read 145,546 times
Check out LoDo (Lower Downtown) Uptown, Highlands. All have plenty in the way of nightlife. Regarding the culture issue, I noticed right away that you didn't mention love of the outdoors in your post. That's typically one of Colorado's major draws and many social activities do revolve around outdoor pursuits -- especially for those in their 20's. If you're not into the outdoor scene, finding your niche may be tougher. And as alluded to in the prior post, due to your Long Island heritage, you will have absolutely no street cred with the natives. Plan on running your first ultra-marathon and/or surviving your first back country avalanche within 6 months of landing in Denver to help rectify this. Serious.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:17 PM

207 posts, read 481,121 times
I believe that the general friendliness of Denverites will make up for any lack of street cred.

Have a beer and a game of ping-pong at ACE. Any outgoing young person can make at least one friend per evening. A creepy older guy, maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver