Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 12:34 PM

20 posts, read 22,669 times

Advertisements

I would like to replace my original 35 year old siding this summer and I have been amazed at how high some of the quotes have been. I live in a standard 2500 sq/ft 4BR two story suburban house with siding on all four sides. Built in the 1980s.

For new siding, soffit, fascia, shutters, and gutters I have had three different quotes between $25-$32k. That includes removal and disposal of old siding. $25k was for vinyl and $30-$32 for Jamies Hardie.

I was (perhaps ignorantly) expecting to pay between $10-$15k for new siding before getting these estimates.

Has anyone purchased new siding recently? I'd love a contractor recommendation if you were happy with the quality and price. My quotes were from GS Exterior Experts, Scottish Home Improvements, and Lifetime Siding. All seemed top notch and I'm sure they would do a great job, but they just seem very expensive to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:51 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Get the HardiePlank lap siding with baked-on ColorPlus Technology.
Do not get plastic (vinyl).

Old 06-25-2015, 03:23 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,209,976 times
It has been awhile since I have had siding put on a house and I have only done a few, but those prices sound crazy to me. You could get it stuccoed for less. I think what you are encountering is a combination of peak season pricing, and fake contractor pricing. What I mean by fake contractor pricing is that there are people that pretend to be contractors, but do not have employees or do any actual work, they spend their days giving inflated quotes, hoping to hook some sucker into one of their inflated quotes, then they sub the work out to someone else. I'd wait till Sept. or Oct., then try again.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
It has been awhile since I have had siding put on a house and I have only done a few, but those prices sound crazy to me. You could get it stuccoed for less. I think what you are encountering is a combination of peak season pricing, and fake contractor pricing. What I mean by fake contractor pricing is that there are people that pretend to be contractors, but do not have employees or do any actual work, they spend their days giving inflated quotes, hoping to hook some sucker into one of their inflated quotes, then they sub the work out to someone else. I'd wait till Sept. or Oct., then try again.
Thanks for the response! That's an interesting way to do business...

Does anyone have a contractor recommendation for siding in the area?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 PM

Last bump before I let this thread die...

Any contractor/company recs would be appreciated.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:48 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
I don't have a rec, but I've been re-siding my ranch in my spare time with Hardie Plank. I also used to be a home builder. I found the prices to be crazy high, but not quite as bad as you are quoting. Maybe it's all the stuff you are adding to it. Could you leave the cornice, soffit, and gutters? That would leave siding, painting, and new shutters. If you are handy and don't mind a ladder, then the shutters are super easy to install.

Also, maybe you could hire a separate gutter installer and painter. Those skills are completely different from siding and cornice, so they are most likely being subbed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver