Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:40 PM

123 posts, read 179,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post

If safe means waiting a long time because they're uncertain about the intent of the drivers in the left turn lane, so be it.
Safety is good but I want to know how many of you would actually wait for all people turning left (or potentially making u-turn) to clear before making the right turn.

KaaBoom, do you always wait in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:46 PM

286 posts, read 349,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6286 View Post
Safety is good but I want to know how many of you would actually wait for all people turning left (or potentially making u-turn) to clear before making the right turn.
Hence my last paragraph of the last post

I think it is very possible to very safely turn R on a red in that situation because it IS possible to eventually discern the intent of the person in the L turn lane if they are planning to u-turn or not. Fairly early into the turn, you should be able to see the steepness of the L turn and make a reasonable guess, start inching forward, and complete the turn before the next car is up. Or at least I can, and do, drive that way.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:52 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,198,746 times
Quote:
I wait because I understand that the U-turners have the right of way. And when there is a clear opening I accelerate rapidly so as not to get caught in that awkward situation. It is not that hard to discern someone's intent based upon the speed they are going when they start their turn. Not that I need concern myself with this situation often. The only time I can think of that this is an issue for me is in Greenwood Village heading south on Boston St turning right (west) onto Arapahoe Rd. And I generally avoid rush hour traffic.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:27 PM

402 posts, read 366,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post
I think it is very possible to very safely turn R on a red in that situation because it IS possible to eventually discern the intent of the person in the L turn lane if they are planning to u-turn or not. Fairly early into the turn, you should be able to see the steepness of the L turn and make a reasonable guess, start inching forward, and complete the turn before the next car is up.
Nailed it.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:29 PM

42 posts, read 40,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thats a Caltrans sign.

There is no Federal Highway Administration sign like that, though there should be.

Watch out if you ever drive in Oregon. U-Turns are pretty much illegal everywhere here, so No U-Turn signs are non-existant. Oregon cops have a field day writing tickets to out of state drivers who don't know that.
Yeah, I figured CalTrans. I don't drive in Oregon (have only used the LR in Portland), but good to know.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Those of you saying the U-Turner had the right of way: Does that mean any person wishing to turn right at the red light needs to wait until every single left-turner at the green light is cleared, before turning right? Because there's no way the person wishing to turn right would know if the left-turners are turning left or U-turning.
No, you simply need to watch for them. If they start to make a U-turn, then you need to stay stopped, and wait for them to complete their U-turn.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:47 PM

664 posts, read 2,059,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
The one on Braodway & Arapahoe seems reasonably safe because northbound Broadway is 3 lanes wide and the unusually large right hand turning radius puts the merging vehicle beyond the point at which the vehicle making the u-turn would be merging. But the one you describe at Bowles and Platte Canyon seems crazy to me. It appears, based upon the satellite view, that they know that is dangerous and are carving off part of the former gas station property and expanding the right hand turn lane.
NB Broadway is only 2 lanes wide. South of Araphoe there is a 3rd lane but it is a right turn lane only at Arapahoe so north of Arapahoe it is only 2 (although the right lane is very wide). Still, the chance that someone making a u-turn stays in the tight lane is questionable!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I think you are talking about a protected right arrow. If you are turning right on one of those and someone hits you making a U-turn they are in the wrong because U-turns are not allowed at that location. A good example of this is the intersection at Peoria and Lincoln. I drive it daily and there is a protected right turn from Peoria to Lincoln but I always see people making U-turns from the Lincoln left turn lane. I have never seen an accident but there have been some very close calls.
I went through a couple of intersections with the protected right arrows on streetview - some of the jurisdictions have 'no u-turn' on at those intersections, but others don't. The one at Lincoln & Peoria does say 'no u-turn' so those cars are clearly wrong, but for the others that I pointed at that don't, what happens!

Old 07-10-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thats a good catch, but it looks like a standard double left turn sign for anywhere in Colorado. Has anyone ever seen a sign like this in Colorado?
I've seen that type of sign in Colorado - where the left-most lane shows left turn or u-turn. I'll have to think about where I've seen it and then post the location.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:59 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:

KaaBoom, do you always wait in this situation?
I yield the right away, as required. I usually don't have a hard time finding a space to get through. It's mostly instinct. If the cars are stopped for a red arrow, I yield to other traffic and then go. If they have a green arrow and are turning, I look at their speed. If they are traveling fast, then obviously they are making a left turn, so I go. If they are slowing down, then I wait and see what they are going to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver