Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,224,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdepauw8 View Post
I know DC has lots of trees and I find it generally pretty. Is Denver like that? How close is each city to more remote areas for hiking and such?
Noooo..... not even close! One of the first things I've noticed whenever I've gone to the Washington DC metro area (and suburbs such as Montgomery County MD) is how green it is there! It feels like the whole area is carved into a forest with tree canopies hanging over the road. Very beautiful, at least during the spring, summer, and fall. Not to mention huge rivers like the Potomac. Denver is nothing like that-- every tree, bush, and shrub in Denver is landscaped by man, artificially irrigated. I'm guessing you have never been west of the 100th parallel before-- everything is a lot more "open" and "barren" in the west. Now, as for hiking, yes, there is plenty of hiking nearby, but it's a much more rugged, elevation-gaining kind of hiking than what you're used to back east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,010,494 times
If I had my druthers, I'd go back east, but perhaps that's just me? I miss the trees; the racial diversity; the schools (I was in Maryland, not DC); the history; the public transportation; the amazing architecture; the water; the political, religious, & racial tolerance; and last but not least, the sushi...basically everything except the traffic & expensive housing.

All that said, a return east is not possible for me at the moment, so I'm making the best of things and blooming where I'm planted. It's hard to tell what will make YOU happy. You might absolutely love it here in Colorado!

Old 01-26-2008, 01:10 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,933,579 times
You know, in some ways, I read these posts and see "Denver versus DC," "Denver versus Chicago," etc, and it makes me realize that Denver really has come a long way, for good or for bad. 10 years ago, NO ONE would be comparing Denver to DC or Chicago. Salt Lake City, Albuquerque, even Phoenix, yes that's a possibility. Certainly not DC.

I like Denver, but even I admit that Denver really can't hold a candle to NYC, DC, Chicago, SF, and the like (not that I'd ever live in any of them, personally). It's not just sheer population, it's also the relative prominence and importance of the two. As in, DC is very prominent and important by any standard, and Denver is honestly not. There's more money bandied about in one day in DC then a whole year in Denver. DC is a "world city" -- Denver is not. In my view, Denver is a great mid-sized city, maybe one of the greatest in the country for its size, but it's not in the big leagues like those cities. Of course, many (including me) prefer Denver BECAUSE it's not a city of that stature.

I have been to DC a number of times and do admire many things about the city. Some great neighborhoods there. Awesome culture and opportunities. Great place to visit... completely dysfunctional local government, from what I've heard, but that doesn't affect the visitor, at all.

Can't tell you much about which is better -- they seem so opposite in so many ways, but as I said I think we should be flattered you're even making the comparison.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:57 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
It's not just sheer population, it's also the relative prominence and importance of the two. As in, DC is very prominent and important by any standard, and Denver is honestly not. There's more money bandied about in one day in DC then a whole year in Denver. DC is a "world city" -- Denver is not.
It seems that Denver compared to the other prominent cities in the US has almost as much of the good stuff (arts, entertainment, diversity of employment and job opportunities, clubs, walkable neighborhoods, variety types of neighborhoods - urban, suburban, exurban, variety of goods and services, culture, etc.) and a lot less of the bad (decrepit neighborhoods, traffic, blight, crappy weather, social problems, pollution, archaic infrastructure, etc.)

Sure, if you are a world class opera lover someone could argue that this level of entertainment can't be found in Denver but for 90% of people there isn't too much difference. Another way of looking at it, that extra five percent of advantages means double the price of housing, or a Camry is 90% of a Lexus but it costs half as much.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:31 AM

11,813 posts, read 34,270,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Sure, if you are a world class opera lover someone could argue that this level of entertainment can't be found in Denver.
Try Central City Opera | The Rape of Lucretia | Susannah | West Side Story (http://www.centralcityopera.org/index.cgi?CONTENT_ID=3 - broken link)

Nothing in the world like it.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,798 times
Default splitting my time

Currently, I'm splitting my time b/t DC and Denver, which I really enjoy. However, in the spring, I'll be committing to Denver full-time. I personally like Denver better for the outdoor opportunities, size of the city, and general feeling of being able to breathe. That being said, as others have mentioned, there is a lot of outdoor stuff to do in and around DC... good boating, climbing, hiking, etc. Intially, when I moved to DC, I didn't have a car, which was really nice, but then I realized while I could get everywhere I wanted in the city, it was hard to get out of the city and do those outdoor activities I craved. Currently, I have a car, which is normally parked in the driveway all week, and then goes on adventures on the weekend, which generally solves the crappy DC traffic. In Denver, I am a lot more car-dependent on a daily basis. It is greener in DC, but you really can't beat the mountain views in Denver. I think the weather is much better in Denver. DC summers are rough... bad, bad humidity (though not as bad as Atlanta). DC is more diverse, but Denver is getting better. Each city has its own look... DC women are into designer clothes and handbags... Denver women don a lot more outdoor chic and casual (excuse the mass generalizations on both accounts). Culture is probably better in DC... lots more going on, but again, Denver is getting better. Food/eateries... it's a toss-up. Ultimately, it's the mountains and blue skies that give the edge to Denver in my mind.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:09 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
moqui: I agree with everything you said about both cities except for the boating in Denver. There's not much of it here. We brought a little sailboat out here from Illinois and ended up selling it. Wasn't much opportunity to use it. I know a few people who have boats here, but it's not like Minnesota.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:11 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,069,418 times
Denver has many trees and they are leafy green from Spring through fall, it is the burbs that didn't have a serious plan to plant many. Most of what is in Denver was planted and the city still has agressive plans that are ongoing to plant many. Blossoms are excellent in the Spring and canopy streets in the Summer in the older neighborhoods, Fall will find wonderful colors as long as there is not an early and long lasting frost. What speaks better then pictures, keep in mind, this is only Denver not the metro area as that can be bare.

East High School

Lake Junior High School at Sloan's Lake

From my condo in Capitol Hill

People's Fair in Civic Center Park

Homes in Historic Curtis Park

Washington Park

City Park

Denver Country Club Neighborhood

State Capitol

Capitol Hill

Fall in Capitol Hill

I may post more as time allows. Denver was established in the mid 1800 and some of the trees from then are still standing. I only wish the suburbs would have or eventually start planting more trees. Hope this helps and best wishes to you!

Winter Canopy

Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,069,418 times
Okay, so a few more tree pictures below. No, we are nothing like the cities on the east coast or those near large bodies of water in correlation to the amount of trees they have, but we do well in the established neighborhoods.

This is a small one, but I love the color.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:38 PM

20 posts, read 119,878 times
If you love the outdoors, choose Denver. I lived in Denver for several years and loved it-terrific outdoor lifestyle for hiking, biking, camping, skiing, etc. You'll find it easy to find others who share your outdoors interests. It is so much more pleasant being outside in warm or hot weather when you don't have the oppressive East coast humidity. Camping in the mountains--on a clear night, you've never seen so many stars. Good restaurants, a more casual attitude, you do need a car and don't let anyone tell you that you won't need air conditioning because you do!

I love to visit DC--I now live in MD. It is a more sophisticated city, definitely an intellectual, urban and more formal lifestyle. DC and metro is beautiful and EXPENSIVE if you want to try to buy a piece of that beauty in the form of housing.

Greenery? After living in Denver for nearly a year, I flew back to PA in the early summer. I felt like I had entered the Emerald City, or possibly a jungle. Don't go to Denver metro expecting lush East coast vegetation but Denver has plenty of charms to make up for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver