Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 PM

309 posts, read 362,077 times

Advertisements

Fly to Ski.......

Many great replies here from other posters as to your best options and DEFINITELY....great advice regarding your sentiments of flying over the "high country." Plenty of turbulence up there, especially all along the Continental Divide!

Like others here have said, your plan to fly into Jeffco Airport? would be good and you could either rent a car and head on up I-70......toward Summit County (Ski Country).......but it's quite a litte drive, esp. if there's a snowstorm. No offense on Eldora Ski Area......but, IMO......flying ALL the way from Ohio to ski there, is, well......not such a great idea, IMO.....but I'll leave it at that.

(You mentioned a desire for some "nightlife" so if you fly into Jeffco......you're options could also include skiing at Keystone, Copper Mtn. or Breckenridge..... they are all close to each other and Breck. HAS your "nightlife.") Copper Mtn. would be great for your skiing. Breckenridge Resort is MASSIVE.... and you will also have to contend with some Spring Breaker's in March, JFYI)..... all over Summit County. And Summit County has GREAT public trans. (Ski Buses) that run pretty late into the evening....IF you happen to get a bit too "festive."

Another option too........would be to fly into Jeffco and make it over to Union Station in downtown Denver.....and catch the "Ski Train" (about $50/person?) ...... that'll wisk you on up to Winter Park in about 2 1/2 hrs.. This would be good if you really don't wish to do the mountain driving at all..... and WP is also a great ski resort with "some" limited form of nightlife also.

Hope this info. might help 'ya too.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-26-2008 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 AM

1,176 posts, read 4,465,602 times
The FBO at Boulder is the best around. Jeffco is a solid secondary but their tie down rates are high. Outside of that there are a few private community strips, perhaps someone here lives at one?

As a good pilot you have already negated a flight through the mountains. Good for you.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post
Fly to Ski.......

Another option too.........would be to fly into Jeffco and make it over to Union Station in downtown Denver.......and catch the "Ski Train" ( about $50/person?)...... that'll wisk you on up to Winter Park in about 2 1/2 hrs.. This would be good if you really don't wish to do the mountain driving at all.....and WP is also a great ski resort with "some" limited form of nightlife also.
Hope this info. might help 'ya too.
Skytripper, I completely forgot about the ski train to WP. That is a great suggestion! I live on the western slope, so I have never actually done this trip, but I would love to.

WP is a full service resort town, and has much to offer. I'm sure there is some nightlife there, although probably limited. However, WP and MJ are great places to ski even if you are a beginner. While many people are intimidated by CO skiing, the large resorts offer plenty of terrain for all types of skiers.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I'm not sure if you can go up on the ski train one day and come back the next. If so, fine. If not, it's a long train ride for a short ski day. It is a neat experience, though.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I'm not sure if you can go up on the ski train one day and come back the next. If so, fine. If not, it's a long train ride for a short ski day. It is a neat experience, though.
You are correct, pittnurse. If you want to travel back on a different day you would have to purchase another ticket. However, to avoid the hassle of driving 1-70 it may be worth it. For less than $100 a person, you would have the freedom to relax, enjoy the scenery, and let someone else do the driving.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:00 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,097,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
You are correct, pittnurse. If you want to travel back on a different day you would have to purchase another ticket. However, to avoid the hassle of driving 1-70 it may be worth it. For less than $100 a person, you would have the freedom to relax, enjoy the scenery, and let someone else do the driving.
Could also take regular Amtrak to Glenwood and stay there (no need for special ski train, and no problem with reservations to come and go on different days). There's daily shuttle service for skiing Ski Sunlight (10 miles or so from Glenwood) between Glenwood and Ski Sunlight. And Glenwood is a great town in which to spend a few days.

Edit to add: Of course, there's still getting from whatever airport they land to Union Station in LoDo.

Last edited by suzco; 01-26-2008 at 12:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver