Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:31 PM

14 posts, read 11,114 times

Advertisements

Well, I told my kids to not walk around the neighborhood alone day or night, and the 10 yr old got upset, "Could you please stop talking about this... it's making me scared."

They are a couple of blocks north of Colfax, and it sounds like things get better as you go north. But they're only at about 17th.

I hate feeling worried about them... there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 05:56 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
You grew up in Oakland and compare East Colfax with Oakland? Pretty unrealistic. Superior is the place for you. Who else grew up in Oakland? Tom Hanks, Clint Eastwood,...etc. Colfax is no where close to being Oakland. Too many businesses and homes, not boarded up. People are alot more friendly in Denver and involved in their community? Besides Denver is not diverse enough to be like Oakland.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozweepay View Post
Well, I told my kids to not walk around the neighborhood alone day or night, and the 10 yr old got upset, "Could you please stop talking about this... it's making me scared."

They are a couple of blocks north of Colfax, and it sounds like things get better as you go north. But they're only at about 17th.

I hate feeling worried about them... there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.
17th is definitely a bit better.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:30 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
I worked on the campus and we lived in Superior and Broomfield during my tenure. While the drive isn't great, it's not horrible either. Staying put wasn't an option? I bet it'll be tough for the kids to be separated from their friends but still attend the same school

As others have said there are better areas in close proximity to the campus that aren't as expensive as Stapleton....

Old 07-29-2015, 03:52 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozweepay View Post
After 12 years in Superior CO (suburbanville central, as many of you know) the wife and I divorced. She got a job at Anschutz, and wishing to be near work, bought a house near the campus: at roughly Havana and Colfax in Aurora.

I have dropped off our two kids (ages 10 and 12) a couple of times now, and I have to admit... the neighborhood seems pretty sketch compared to Superior. Driving around, there were young men drinking from brown bags, and at least 2 women who were dressed as though they were looking for a "date." Most houses did not have bars on the windows or doors, but a few did.

I'm not naive... I grew up in Oakland CA where you could often hear gunshots on weekend evenings. I'd really rather my kids not grow up in that kind of environment, but the ex-wife seems oblivious.

So I appeal to you folks, the Aurora cognoscenti, to clue me in... are my kids safe in that area? Should they walk to the park alone like they do in Superior? What's the gang activity like? Drugs? Armed robberies? Home invasions?

This should answer your own question, OP

Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
It seems like there are just hoards of mentally ill homeless people everywhere in Denver. Sure colfax has a greater percentage, but everywhere I walk I run into them, and try to ignore them.

Sometimes I give snarky comments back when they ask for money. Do you think that that's dangerous with numerous people around? I don't know if these people ever do anything or just beg.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:30 AM

277 posts, read 519,101 times
So did anyone from Aurora reply to this post? I used to live near E. Colfax and Buckley (or Airport Blvd. now) ... at the time my son would walk to school, ride his bike with friends all over the area (even all the way to the Aurora Mall and Buckingham) .. I worked graves - getting off work at about 4 am - and riding the bus from Golden to Chambers in Aurora - then walking the rest of the way home (in the dark) ...never had any problems but then that was over 13 years ago - it might have changed since then ...

Old 07-30-2015, 09:33 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceg0720 View Post
So did anyone from Aurora reply to this post? I used to live near E. Colfax and Buckley (or Airport Blvd. now) ... at the time my son would walk to school, ride his bike with friends all over the area (even all the way to the Aurora Mall and Buckingham) .. I worked graves - getting off work at about 4 am - and riding the bus from Golden to Chambers in Aurora - then walking the rest of the way home (in the dark) ...never had any problems but then that was over 13 years ago - it might have changed since then ...
that's also miles away from the area OP was referencing.

OP, I think it's fine if they are outside during the daytime, esp. if they are together.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 AM

277 posts, read 519,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
that's also miles away from the area OP was referencing.

OP, I think it's fine if they are outside during the daytime, esp. if they are together.
I was curious if anyone from Aurora replied to this post .... I know how far Havana x Colfax is from where I lived - on my 'ride' to work I took either the 15 or the 15L ... saw most of the 25 miles of Colfax east to west .... in my previous job I had worked on Hampden near I25 .... had to get off at Havana and take another bus on Havana south ... I used to shop in 'downtown' Aurora (Havana x Colfax) when I did finally get a car and never had problems ... my younger sister used to live just north of Colfax and Havana ... so I visited ... still wanting to hear Aurora residents reply to this post ....

Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This should answer your own question, OP
I've seen more than one murder scene along Colfax through this area in the past 10 years. I have to drive through there (going from Stapleton to Lowry) most mornings and I've even had a prostitute approach my car, while my young children were in the back seat

I get odd questions from my kids: "Why are those men fighting? Why is that man peeing in the street? Why are those ladies acting funny? What's nude dancing?" lol! I tell them that these are people who didn't pay attention in school and made poor life choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver