U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,632 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Looking to move to Centennial Colorado possibly and liked the homes within the Piney Creek subdivision that were for sale recently. Anyone here know how friendly the neighborhood is and if a lot of kids typically play together in the area frequently? Looking for a down to earth neighborhood with good schools but not flashy neighbors who always "one up" my kids toys or clothes or parties! Just looking for an insider perspective basically.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 06:24 PM

402 posts, read 339,367 times
Might get more attention in the Denver subforum.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:00 PM

24,442 posts, read 45,341,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
Might get more attention in the Denver subforum.
Done.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:09 PM

11,660 posts, read 32,651,182 times
I have pm'd Prodigal Native. He lives there.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:12 PM

14,163 posts, read 25,899,004 times
I know someone who lives there and I've been to his house. He lives in a house built in the 80s. Neighborhood is very well-kept (probably thanks to the HOA), but he said there are many empty nesters around them who just keep to themselves. Makes sense if the houses were built in the 80s and they're original owners. It sounds like they don't interact with neighbors much and their young kid doesn't have friends nearby. But that's just one block. My impression overall is that it's a nice neighborhood. But even if the houses look very nice/well-kept, they may need some serious updating inside, unless you don't care about the 80s look (mostly just the bathrooms, kitchen, and popcorn ceilings).

Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,632 times
Thanks!

Old 08-06-2015, 09:37 PM

833 posts, read 1,620,274 times
I've lived in Piney Creek for a little over two months, so I have first hand knowledge, but it certainly is limited.

As denverian said, there are a fair number of empty-nesters and I agree, these are probably people that were either the original buyers of the homes or moved in shortly after. My guess is in the coming years there will be more turn-over as some of these people downsize.

There is some of that happening on my block. One next door neighbor has a 12 year old and there's another two doors down in the other direction. Across the street is a couple with one year old twins and next to them is a another couple with a one month old. Right next to them is a couple in their early to mid 60s. I see a lot of people out walking their dogs, jogging, etc and I would say they are, on average, 10+ years older than me (I'm 43). Just when I start to think that is the average demographic, I will see a family walk by with a stroller. For all of the women of a certain age who play tennis and drink wine, there's a gaggle of kids at the swimming pool.

As for one-upping by the neighbors, I can't say I know because my family and I tend to keep to ourselves and the neighbors seem to as well. This may change a little once school starts and I hope my daughter finds a few friends in walking/biking distance, so I may be able to report back with more info in a few weeks.

I think there are 7 or 9 developments in Piney Creek, some are definitely more upscale than others, so you are sure to get some variation among the people and their attitudes.

Also, there is some wear-and-tear on some of the homes that isn't noticeable immediately, but I have started to see it as I drive around each day. These houses are 30-35 years old, so some of that is to be expected, and to be honest, I kind of like that you may see an occasional garage door that needs some work or other small repair. It means the HOA isn't over-the-top crazy and they aren't jumping down people's throats.

One nice thing about having a slightly older home is the bedrooms are bigger, the yards are nice sized (I have just under a quarter acre) and although there may be some popcorn ceilings and outdated bathrooms, they aren't horrible. Besides, bathrooms are relatively cheap and easy to update - a new vanity, some faucets and a toilet can do wonders!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:31 AM

14,163 posts, read 25,899,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
I've lived in Piney Creek for a little over two months, so I have first hand knowledge, but it certainly is limited.

As denverian said, there are a fair number of empty-nesters and I agree, these are probably people that were either the original buyers of the homes or moved in shortly after. My guess is in the coming years there will be more turn-over as some of these people downsize.

There is some of that happening on my block. One next door neighbor has a 12 year old and there's another two doors down in the other direction. Across the street is a couple with one year old twins and next to them is a another couple with a one month old. Right next to them is a couple in their early to mid 60s. I see a lot of people out walking their dogs, jogging, etc and I would say they are, on average, 10+ years older than me (I'm 43). Just when I start to think that is the average demographic, I will see a family walk by with a stroller. For all of the women of a certain age who play tennis and drink wine, there's a gaggle of kids at the swimming pool.

As for one-upping by the neighbors, I can't say I know because my family and I tend to keep to ourselves and the neighbors seem to as well. This may change a little once school starts and I hope my daughter finds a few friends in walking/biking distance, so I may be able to report back with more info in a few weeks.

I think there are 7 or 9 developments in Piney Creek, some are definitely more upscale than others, so you are sure to get some variation among the people and their attitudes.

Also, there is some wear-and-tear on some of the homes that isn't noticeable immediately, but I have started to see it as I drive around each day. These houses are 30-35 years old, so some of that is to be expected, and to be honest, I kind of like that you may see an occasional garage door that needs some work or other small repair. It means the HOA isn't over-the-top crazy and they aren't jumping down people's throats.

One nice thing about having a slightly older home is the bedrooms are bigger, the yards are nice sized (I have just under a quarter acre) and although there may be some popcorn ceilings and outdated bathrooms, they aren't horrible. Besides, bathrooms are relatively cheap and easy to update - a new vanity, some faucets and a toilet can do wonders!
Yeah, neighborhood demographics definitely change over time. And you get a lot more square footage for the price compared to my neighborhood (Stapleton). With the lower prices (compared to Denver), many people could probably afford to upgrade the kitchen and baths. Also, this neighborhood is in the CCSD, so you get great schools. I don't seen how you could go wrong in Piney Creek.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:08 AM

4,948 posts, read 2,893,248 times
We looked extensively in Piney Creek when we moved out here and I love the area. Almost all of the homes we saw had been updated so that wasn't an issue. We ultimately decided that another area would work better for our commute, but I'm still a little sorry we didn't buy one of those homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver