U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:53 PM

5,610 posts, read 22,328,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Sounds like a great idea, thanks!

On a side note, is it worth going down to Colorado Springs for anything other than Pike's Peak?
Definitely. There is a lot to see and do there and interesting natural places to see... Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, Helen Hunt Falls, Manitou Caves, town of Manitou Springs, the Broadmoor, downtown Colo Spgs. It's certainly worth a day trip. Personally I think spending 4 whole days doing nothing but checking out suburbs of Denver would be boring as heck. You could get a feel for all the ones on your list in one long day. Colorado Springs, OTOH, has a distinct sense of place that is worth checking out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:18 PM

812 posts, read 1,390,447 times
Quote:
On a side note, is it worth going down to Colorado Springs for anything other than Pike's Peak?
As a tourist trip or to consider the city as an alternative to Denver? As an alternative to Denver, based on the newer-build generic suburbs you listed, you'll want to be looking in the sprawl to the north and east of the historic core of Colorado Springs, such as Briargate and the Powers corridor. All the houses look exactly like Highlands Ranch. The traffic in those areas is almost (not quite but almost) as awful as everywhere in Denver.

If you're just looking for a day-trip as a tourist, I suggest choosing among the following (all of which are in downtown Springs or west of I-25): Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods park, Broadmoor Hotel (best collection of Western art pretty much anywhere), Fine Arts Center, Bristol Brewery at Ivywild School, Old North End neighborhood north of Colorado College, Old Colorado City, catch a movie at Kimball's Theater downtown. Take the cog-rail train to the top of Pikes Peak if you must, but be sure to have a deep-fried donut at the gift shop on top, they're unbelievable.

Full disclaimer: I lived in Denver in my 20's while single and loved it. As soon as I got married the Denver traffic literally started driving me crazy. Can't imagine dealing with that every day. Lived with wife/kids in Colorado Springs since '02 and could never go back to Denver. My 12 minute commute from quite neighborhood in foothills with downtown view to my office in downtown Colorado Springs would be too hard to give up at this point. Just a thought.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 AM

254 posts, read 484,844 times
Quote:
Am I allowed to use the pools in Highlands Ranch if I'm not a resident? Those are all great ideas, thanks!
Yes, you sure can. Here's a link to the guest information: Guest Policy

Daily Guest Passes and Fees
Children under two years old = Free
Children ages two to 11 = $5
Young adults ages 12 to 17 = $6
Adults ages 18 to 54 = $7
Adults ages 55+ = $6

Old 08-05-2015, 10:23 AM

556 posts, read 703,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
As a tourist trip or to consider the city as an alternative to Denver? As an alternative to Denver, based on the newer-build generic suburbs you listed, you'll want to be looking in the sprawl to the north and east of the historic core of Colorado Springs, such as Briargate and the Powers corridor. All the houses look exactly like Highlands Ranch. The traffic in those areas is almost (not quite but almost) as awful as everywhere in Denver.

If you're just looking for a day-trip as a tourist, I suggest choosing among the following (all of which are in downtown Springs or west of I-25): Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods park, Broadmoor Hotel (best collection of Western art pretty much anywhere), Fine Arts Center, Bristol Brewery at Ivywild School, Old North End neighborhood north of Colorado College, Old Colorado City, catch a movie at Kimball's Theater downtown. Take the cog-rail train to the top of Pikes Peak if you must, but be sure to have a deep-fried donut at the gift shop on top, they're unbelievable.

Full disclaimer: I lived in Denver in my 20's while single and loved it. As soon as I got married the Denver traffic literally started driving me crazy. Can't imagine dealing with that every day. Lived with wife/kids in Colorado Springs since '02 and could never go back to Denver. My 12 minute commute from quite neighborhood in foothills with downtown view to my office in downtown Colorado Springs would be too hard to give up at this point. Just a thought.
It's be more as a day trip just to do it if we have time rather than exploring a place to live. From what I've heard about Colorado Springs, it's not really my scene.

Regarding traffic, I'm used to it and it's worse hear so I'll deal with it as necessary

Thank you!

Old 08-05-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainK View Post
Yes, you sure can. Here's a link to the guest information: Guest Policy

Daily Guest Passes and Fees
Children under two years old = Free
Children ages two to 11 = $5
Young adults ages 12 to 17 = $6
Adults ages 18 to 54 = $7
Adults ages 55+ = $6
Awesome. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:10 AM

130 posts, read 151,984 times
If you really want to get a feel for daily life, and you'll be here on a weekday, do a sample commute from Highlands Ranch to an area you're likely to work (DTC, downtown, wherever). Traffic's really bad here, as I'm sure you've already gathered. Yes, it's bad in most (all?) cities, but IMO it's especially bad here because there aren't many alternate routes to major highways, other than surface streets. (Not that that's a reason not to move here, only that it'll be abstract to you until you actually drive in it.)

If you think you might enjoy occasional visits to Denver when living here, take a drive through downtown, check out Confluence Park, etc. Two routes I like to take visitors on is I-25 N, exit at Dowling, go north through Wash Park to Speer, then north on Speer to downtown; and back south down Broadway from downtown to I-25 (with views of the Capitol building, etc.). Try this on a weeknight if you want to get a sense of how challenging it can be traffic-wise to go downtown for an after-work outing from the south suburbs.

Denver Botanic Garden is one of our favorites too, though probably not worth doing on such a short visit.

And I'd echo what someone said about heading up into the mountains for the day. There are a ton of things to do up there in all seasons, but again—not to sound like I have a one-track mind—traffic is an issue. Go do something on Sunday, so you'll get a sense of the end-of-the-weekend coming-home traffic. And stop in Idaho Springs for some Rocky Mountain-style pizza at Beau Joe's.

Not to sound all doom-and-gloomy about the traffic, but it's a fact of life here. Not that it's an obstacle to doing things, but you do have to consider it when planning things.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
If you really want to get a feel for daily life, and you'll be here on a weekday, do a sample commute from Highlands Ranch to an area you're likely to work (DTC, downtown, wherever). Traffic's really bad here, as I'm sure you've already gathered. Yes, it's bad in most (all?) cities, but IMO it's especially bad here because there aren't many alternate routes to major highways, other than surface streets. (Not that that's a reason not to move here, only that it'll be abstract to you until you actually drive in it.)

If you think you might enjoy occasional visits to Denver when living here, take a drive through downtown, check out Confluence Park, etc. Two routes I like to take visitors on is I-25 N, exit at Dowling, go north through Wash Park to Speer, then north on Speer to downtown; and back south down Broadway from downtown to I-25 (with views of the Capitol building, etc.). Try this on a weeknight if you want to get a sense of how challenging it can be traffic-wise to go downtown for an after-work outing from the south suburbs.

Denver Botanic Garden is one of our favorites too, though probably not worth doing on such a short visit.

And I'd echo what someone said about heading up into the mountains for the day. There are a ton of things to do up there in all seasons, but again—not to sound like I have a one-track mind—traffic is an issue. Go do something on Sunday, so you'll get a sense of the end-of-the-weekend coming-home traffic. And stop in Idaho Springs for some Rocky Mountain-style pizza at Beau Joe's.

Not to sound all doom-and-gloomy about the traffic, but it's a fact of life here. Not that it's an obstacle to doing things, but you do have to consider it when planning things.
I've been going to Denver for work a few times a year and have experienced the traffic. It's not great, I'll give you that, and it's worse than I would have anticipated, but being from LA, it's not that bad

We'll see if we can work some mountain activities in this weekend, thanks!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:01 PM

4,939 posts, read 2,855,006 times
The Douglas County fair is Aug 6-9 in Castle Rock.

Douglas County Fair and Rodeo - Douglas County, Colorado

Old 08-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
The Douglas County fair is Aug 6-9 in Castle Rock.

Douglas County Fair and Rodeo - Douglas County, Colorado

Nice! I also saw that Welcome West Week starts in Lilttleton tomorrow and I think we're planning on going to the concert in the park tomorrow night. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver