Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 06:53 AM

531 posts, read 1,140,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
You could've put 5 or 6 bucks in before ordering the transponders to keep the balance over $10. Once your balance goes below $10, the system automatically charges you to bring the account balance to over $35; this is perhaps an attempt to prevent balances from going negative. I only know about the $10 threshold because the representative on the phone told me about it without me even asking.

I don't think I'll be paying tolls often despite living in Denver, but I bought in just in case.
I'm sure I could have paid more attention and read more closely on the website, and it's entirely my fault. It was still a surprise to see another $30 charge on my credit card.

I'll probably pay tolls a couple time when they open the toll lanes on I-70 out west later this year, since I have the money in my account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 AM

3,111 posts, read 5,008,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
It really isn't difficult, at all. You adhere the transponder to your windshield, directly underneath your rearview mirror. Reach up, flip the switch to the big red side that says HOV. If you never use the toll, just leave it on HOV like my wife and I do.
That's good to know. I have always kept the transponder in my center console and just get it out for the occasional ride to the airport. Maybe I've used it once to pay for the I-25 lane but since I usually only use the I-25 HOV lanes when I had multiple people I am not used to getting it out for that.

Still on the fence about upgrading. With the lane extensions up north it may be worth it.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:48 AM

531 posts, read 1,140,678 times
I find it will be totally worth it since new express will also be going up on I-70 east of the mousetrap, and on C-470 from I-25 to Kipling. I drive those roads every once in a while as a family and it will be nice to have the transponder.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:47 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
I find it will be totally worth it since new express will also be going up on I-70 east of the mousetrap, and on C-470 from I-25 to Kipling. I drive those roads every once in a while as a family and it will be nice to have the transponder.
Yeah, I'm going to have to break down and get a transponder. We drive out to Boulder a few times per year (the whole family), so it could be of use then if traffic is bad. We drove to Boulder last weekend and I didn't see one single car in the HOV/Toll lanes, there and back.

I wonder if getting the transponder gets you the lower rate on the E470 tollway? I do pay for that a couple times per month to bypass horrible traffic on the 25/225.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 901 times
Well, I just got a bill from Expresstolls for over 27 dollars. We were from out of state and thought we were okay since we met the HOV requirements for number of passengers on I25. Now I am told in order to use those lanes in the future I have to purchase something that will be used once a year at most when we drive through the state. Why would I pay $35.00 to use an HOV lane for free? (We only use them when we have the needed number of occupants in the vehicle.) This is crazy and will catch a lot of out of town folks by surprise.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:24 AM

52 posts, read 81,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler1985 View Post
Well, I just got a bill from Expresstolls for over 27 dollars. We were from out of state and thought we were okay since we met the HOV requirements for number of passengers on I25. Now I am told in order to use those lanes in the future I have to purchase something that will be used once a year at most when we drive through the state. Why would I pay $35.00 to use an HOV lane for free? (We only use them when we have the needed number of occupants in the vehicle.) This is crazy and will catch a lot of out of town folks by surprise.
It's marked very clearly that it's HOV 2+ passengers with ExpressToll. If you don't understand what that means then don't get in the lane marked with that.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,119,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler1985 View Post
No, it's not very user friendly if unless you live here.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:45 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,026,201 times
Interesting to read this. I lived in Boulder for 25 years and used 36 on a regular basis. But I left for Seattle a couple years ago so I had no idea that 36 had express lanes, transponders and double white lines. But what's funny is that here in Seattle they just implemented the same system for part of I405. The Denver commute is not even close to the Seattle commute, but as your traffic increases I think you might see more benefit of the express lanes. For me, spending a couple bucks to make an appointment or not have to cancel a meeting is money well spent. The Express lanes here are wide open most of the time and so the toll is minimal, but it can go as high as $10.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:30 AM

52 posts, read 81,123 times
This thread (and a few recent drives on 36 and I-25) prompted me to finally upgrade my ExpressToll account from license plate only to having the transponders. I elected to have the switchable 2+ HOV/HOT-compatible transponders.

https://www.expresstoll.com/

Note that for out of staters there's an option to put in out of state license plates, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver