Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,999,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsMoveFarAway View Post

I have noticed Arvada seems more affordable and also great schools as compared with some of the other areas that are hit and miss.
Just a heads up that the market is very efficient out here. If there is an area that is cheaper you want to dig deeper to find out why. For instance the areas in Arvada that you might find more affordable could be close to Rocky Flats.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioa...ky_Flats_Plant

I'm not sure why your so set against Aurora. I would live the closest I could to work and there are lots of nice areas in Aurora with good schools, particularly those in the Cherry Creek School district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 01:31 PM

170 posts, read 244,334 times
If I were you, I would live as close to work as possible as the traffic here is horrible. So if your husband's work is in Aurora, I am assuming it would be the City of Aurora since you mentioned it is a government position which is located around Chambers and Alameda I would look at homes in South Aurora like Hampden and Buckley or Hampden and Tower as they are relatively newer homes and they feed into the Cherry Creek School District. The homes here are more affordable as well compared to the southern suburbs like HR. This would be only a 5 or 6 miles commute.
Either way, I wouldn't recommend commuting more than 10 miles each way to work as not only is the traffic horrible here, but when the weather turns bad the commute will be much worse.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 PM

254 posts, read 510,916 times
My perspective is probably contrary to many, as I don't think $65K is enough for a family of 4, but some people manage to do it. How will you save for retirement or for kids' education on that salary? You probably won't be able to. Could you consider having both adults earn an income? That would help a lot....

Old 08-22-2015, 08:21 AM

214 posts, read 298,361 times
I would think you could LIVE on $65k a year but savings goals would be diminished. Also, ironically Aurora has some of the most affordable housing in metro Denver. I used to live in the northern part of Aurora near Havana and Colfax so I understand that parts of it are rougher. However, it seems like it is gentrifying and new infill by Lowry has further revitalized the city.

South Aurora has parts in the Cherry Creek District like Overland High School which is where my wife went. Very high Rated District.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:52 AM

531 posts, read 1,139,393 times
As I said earlier, it depends entirely upon your existing debts. The only debts my wife and I have are student loans and a mortgage. We manage to sock away about 5% of my income (which is just under $70K) in savings. 3% goes to retirement and 2% goes to college. I would love more, and as the student loans get paid off, there will be more.

The OP mentioned a large amount for a down payment on their house, that will greatly help. If the mortgage can be kept below $1300/mo, it is very doable.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:37 AM

91 posts, read 150,410 times
Quote:
Thank you so much TechMike!! You have answered so many of my questions! Our reason for not wanting to live in Demver is because we've noticed it's more expensive and also it seems there are much much more people close together rather then spread out in the neighboring towns.
Does "spread out" mean you want a lot larger than, say, 10,000 square feet? Because that will be impossible to find in your price range.

I agree with the poster that said your best bet is the Hampden area near Tower. It's also known as Seven Hills, and we wish we had looked there.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 9,135 times
10,000 square foot home? Um, no. Even if I had a lot of $$ that's wayyy too much house. I was talking about how many people there are and boxed together in apartments or condos, or duplexes. We live in a town like that now where you get a 5 foot back yard & that's considered luxury. We are fine with a 1500 sq ft home, but would prefer people to be more spread out & homes not on top of each other. Small community feel would be great, hey any feel of community would be better than what we currently experience.

To answer other questions...

We will only have one car payment when we move & no other debt at all. And I forget to add all of our salaries & it'll be more like living off $75-$80K.

Also, we aren't so against Aurora. However, depending on where exactly spouse is working within Aurora, we don't like to live where he works for several reasons; safety is one and many more.

I really appreciate all input and thank you all very much for being kind with your responses.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:26 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,454,691 times
^^^ 10k LOT...not home!

It's hard to help when we don't know you or your numbers...

One car payment...is it $250/mo or $1,100/mo? ...makes a difference!

Why CO? REALLY ask yourself this...What's really attracting you here?

If you think because of the mountains, realize that Denver is NOT in the mountains and getting to/from the mountains usually means lots of traffic!

The mountains are expensive..

Denver is very spread out and traffic generally sucks due to constant construction and other factors.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:32 PM

531 posts, read 1,139,393 times
Quote:
[...]We will only have one car payment when we move & no other debt at all. And I forget to add all of our salaries & it'll be more like living off $75-$80K.[...]
Sounds like you'll be fine, but only you know the true state of your budget.

Run the budget numbers, set a realistic amount for your mortgage payment, figure out how much of a mortgage that is and go from there.

Good luck

Old 08-22-2015, 08:19 PM

91 posts, read 148,615 times
I think you will be fine as well. Just so you know?
C south Aurora is super nice with great schools. Arvada would be a horrible commute. Centennial would be good as well. I am glad to hear you plan to rent first because many people don't and regret it. For my 2 cents, a job as a SAHM is worth much more than a bigger house or lot! Sadly, no matter how prepared you are, there will be sticker shock here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver