Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:50 PM

15 posts, read 19,897 times

Advertisements

I've been in Denver for 4 years, and the number of new apartments going up is similar to what I've seen in bigger metros. I'm seeing this in the city and outside areas. Impressive, but been in the same under $700 condo since I've moved here and don't plan to move unless it's out of state.

But, my thing is...where are all these people at? Because as it stands....the overall vibe to me in Denver is very sleepy. I live 10 miles west of town, and it's all just families/kids. On an average night out during the week east of downtown/caphill, the bars are half empty. On the weekends it may be full, but I end up running into the same people. The new people just don't seem available or it's very cliquish.

Aside from that, from a financial perspective, it seems like the average single person here is barely getting by. One guy told me of how he rides his bike now everywhere because he can't afford to register his tags. But yet, he's working round the clock. I don't get it. Most people here seem to not want to really care to spend on things that aren't dog and outdoor related.

And diversity, where is it? It's kind of isolating when I go out to mid/upscale restaurants...whether it be downtown or in the suburbs, it's usually a majority White or similar crowd. I've gone to places from DTC to downtown, and it's all the same. You can count the 1 or 2 who aren't, but that's it usually. That to me makes me think maybe the opportunity and privilege here is reserved for the majority, whereas others aren't getting in. That's very similar to places like Kansas City and St. Louis on the yellow brick I-70.

Personally, I can't. I hear it's supposed to be Chicago-like here in a few years, but I don't really care for Chicago in that way. If anything, I think Denver will be like Las Vegas mixed with Kansas City and a taste of Chicago. You have the legalization of something mostly illegal in other states, but with the Kansas conservative approach. But you have the Chicagoland housing/hotel/rental car prices soon to hit, and everything else

Last edited by GymSleepTravel; 08-21-2015 at 12:09 AM..

Old 08-21-2015, 01:09 AM

117 posts, read 138,574 times
Whelp, guess it's that time of the week..

Last edited by Deezy303; 08-21-2015 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: Meh, figured an emoji may lighten things up.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:38 AM

15 posts, read 19,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezy303 View Post
Whelp, guess it's that time of the week..

Well, I'm just basing off my prospective. I know everyone sees things differently. I've also met people who have or have talked of, moving out of the state. 1 friend of mine left last year for Dallas, a guy I met from Estes Park sold his home to move to Tucson, and my neighbor discussed going to North Carolina.

I think there's an initial appeal here, that wears off. When I go other places people always talk good things or wish they lived in Colorado. But I think many people get sucked into the fantasy, then relocated after a few years.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:51 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
I don't know of any place in the world that lives up to its hype. I live in Hawaii part of the year, and living there is much, much different than the fantasy. OP, I bet that wherever you live is never going to meet your expectations.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:25 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,475 times
Maybe the town is sleepy because everyone is working to afford the COL? You mention that the bars are half empty during the week, what about the weekends?

Old 08-21-2015, 08:14 AM

459 posts, read 807,896 times
Where I was in Denver last night (Highland > RiNo > CBD) every bar and eatery I went in or walked past was packed to the gills.

10 miles west of town ( I am assuming Jefferson County) has had the lowest percentage population gain of any county in the area in recent years. JeffCo has ALWAYS been sleepy and family oriented as long as I can remember.

As to the diversity and rising cost of living we have had numerous threads on that. We have some diversity but we aren't Chicago/Oakland/Etc in that regards, and yes it's getting expensive to live here.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:31 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Most people moving to Denver are moving here for the outdoor lifestyle from what I have found, which means they are not moving here to hang out in the bars every night, and want more from life than being in a drunken stupor 24 7.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:33 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Most people moving to Denver are moving here for the outdoor lifestyle from what I have found, which means they are not moving here to hang out in the bars every night, and want more from life than being in a drunken stupor 24 7.
Wait, I thought the other thread said they were all moving here to get stoned after coming home from work?

Old 08-21-2015, 08:34 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
But even still, Downtown Denver is lively every night of the week. The OP lives in Lakewood, which would explain a lot - it is more of a family oriented suburb.

OP - do you go downtown at all? visit the following neighborhoods:

LoDo, RiNo, Uptown, Highland any given night and the bars and restaurants would likely be packed

Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 AM

930 posts, read 700,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymSleepTravel View Post
I've been in Denver for 4 years, and the number of new apartments going up is similar to what I've seen in bigger metros. I'm seeing this in the city and outside areas. Impressive, but been in the same under $700 condo since I've moved here and don't plan to move unless it's out of state.

But, my thing is...where are all these people at? Because as it stands....the overall vibe to me in Denver is very sleepy. I live 10 miles west of town, and it's all just families/kids. On an average night out during the week east of downtown/caphill, the bars are half empty. On the weekends it may be full, but I end up running into the same people. The new people just don't seem available or it's very cliquish.

Aside from that, from a financial perspective, it seems like the average single person here is barely getting by. One guy told me of how he rides his bike now everywhere because he can't afford to register his tags. But yet, he's working round the clock. I don't get it. Most people here seem to not want to really care to spend on things that aren't dog and outdoor related.

And diversity, where is it? It's kind of isolating when I go out to mid/upscale restaurants...whether it be downtown or in the suburbs, it's usually a majority White or similar crowd. I've gone to places from DTC to downtown, and it's all the same. You can count the 1 or 2 who aren't, but that's it usually. That to me makes me think maybe the opportunity and privilege here is reserved for the majority, whereas others aren't getting in. That's very similar to places like Kansas City and St. Louis on the yellow brick I-70.

Personally, I can't. I hear it's supposed to be Chicago-like here in a few years, but I don't really care for Chicago in that way. If anything, I think Denver will be like Las Vegas mixed with Kansas City and a taste of Chicago. You have the legalization of something mostly illegal in other states, but with the Kansas conservative approach. But you have the Chicagoland housing/hotel/rental car prices soon to hit, and everything else
Late night hot spots on the weekends tend to be Baker, Uptown, Cap Hill, LoDo, LoHi, and RiNo in my experience.

There are a lot of mid-20 somethings who move here for close access to the mountains and the legalized pot. I'm friends with a decent amount of people in this age group and they're always complaining about the high COL. My GF just moved into a 3-BR apartment with two other women to cut down on costs. The ones who tend to be doing much better are the 30-something yuppy crowd, probably because they're further along in their careers and making more money. I'm finally approaching that point in life as well.

Denver (city core) is certainly not known for its diversity, unless you consider the large Hispanic influence here. If you want more diversity, take a cruise down Federal Blvd. Lots of Chinese/Asian restaurants and markets that way. Go over to Parker and Havana, and you'll find a large influence of Southeast Asian cuisine and markets. Diversity is going to be found more or less on the outer edges of the city it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver