Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 04:34 PM

962 posts, read 631,015 times

Advertisements

I was going to respond to this earlier, but became busy:

The weather in Colorado tends to be mostly dry during the summer. Highs in the low 80s F and lows in the 50s F are the norm in summer; there's a large day/night temperature difference due to the dryness.

Winter averages are in the high 30s/low 40s F for the high; with lows in the teens, but this can vary widely day by day; some days could be very warm, some winter days could be very cold. There's a lot of snow from late November through early April.

This is Colorado's standard weather pattern, with minor variations depending on each city. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming have similar weather patterns.

------------------------

A few suggestions I can give, are Washington or Oregon, which has little temperature differences year-round, or in Florida, although it gets hot, it rarely gets extreme b/c it's moderated by large bodies of water.

Some parts of California have moderate weather but has a lot of problems in the economy.

You also mentioned Maine. Its summers aren't too bad, but gets quite a bit of snow from late Nov. thru March.

Alaska's also a good option to avoid getting hot weather in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 04:38 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,083,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
History nerd, the reason those events don't happen in Wyoming is because the grand total of personal property in the state is barely a billion dollars. Yes, I'm engaging in hyperbole as well, but a significant factor will be the lack of valuable property.
I'm aware. I lived in Wyoming for a couple of years. But the joke was too easy to pass up.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:11 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaventulsa View Post
I'm not looking for perfect weather never said i was what I'm saying is everytime it rains here it's not rain it's thunderstorms which turn severe we don't get many tornados in tulsa like they do in OKC but we get winds and they can be awful 60to100 here does not qualify for a tornado so there is no warning we get hail here we just stay in untill it passes anything above 70 degrees is hot in my book because of the humidity i prefer cold weather and i like rain (mostly because it's rare here to just have rain) and plain thunderstorms that doesn't turn severe
I lived in Colorado for about 20 years, about half of it in the Denver metro. I like Denver, but it honestly doesn't sound like what you're looking for. One of the biggest negatives for me is the wind... oh my does the wind blow at times. Some nights we could not sleep and I swore the house was going to blow away. And there are hailstorms that damage roofs and cars.

Of the places I've lived, Portland OR had the most benign weather... I guess that's for another forum though

Old 09-16-2015, 07:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
There is nowhere in the US that has zero risk of natural disasters. Earthquakes, floods, blizzards, ice storms, hurricanes, tornados, landslides, heat waves, droughts, calderas, sinkholes...no place is safe
What risk does Washington state have?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:42 PM

402 posts, read 369,339 times
The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker

Kenneth Murphy, who directs FEMA’s Region X, the division responsible for Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska, says, “Our operating assumption is that everything west of Interstate 5 will be toast.”

Old 09-16-2015, 08:06 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
What risk does Washington state have?
Fires

Old 09-16-2015, 08:12 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
It's not all peachy here. Drought, fires and we've had some major heat waves recently.

I can't complain though.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:25 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's not all peachy here. Drought, fires and we've had some major heat waves recently.

I can't complain though.
Not to mention a Tsunami warning because of the earthquake in Chili.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:36 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
You might try Lincoln, NE.

It is definitely more humid, but it is a great college town with a decent amount of things to do. There is also a decent amount of diversity. If you like a bigger city, then maybe Omaha, but it is a little rougher.

Madison, WI, is a great city. It is colder in the winter, but also colder in the summer.

Boise, ID, has weather very similar to Denver's, and Spokane, WA, is cooler in the summer.
Those are great recommendations. Madison, Boise and Omaha generally have good quality of life ratings. Minneapolis/St. Paul would also be good if she wants a bigger city.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 PM

450 posts, read 507,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Those are great recommendations. Madison, Boise and Omaha generally have good quality of life ratings. Minneapolis/St. Paul would also be good if she wants a bigger city.
I lived in Minneapolis for 22 yrs. It's hot and humid in the summer with mosquitoes like crazy and there is the occasional tornado. The fall and spring are nice, but the winters tend to be brutal. If it wasn't for the weather and the flatness, I'd like it.

So far I prefer Evergreen, CO. Moderate weather (but it does get windy), good schools, fabulous parks and open space, beautiful mountains and racial differences has never appeared to be an issue to me. It is expensive in Evergreen and takes about 40-45 minutes to drive to DT Denver, but if you don't care about city-life and just want a good place to raise your kids, it might be worth a look.

Good luck to you and your family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver