Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,829 times

Advertisements

I'm being considered for a promotion but would have to move to Littleton, CO from Cherry Hill, NJ if I want to take the promotion. I'd really appreciate it if someone could weigh in on the cost of living in Cherry Hill vs. Littleton. I have 3 young kids, the oldest of which just started kindergarten so being around good schools is a must. I've heard and read a ton of good stuff about living in Colorado but haven't heard too much negative. Is CO really as great a place as people are saying? Just looking for the truth. I don't want to move my whole family and wind up hating it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I can't, but when I came here from Long Island, NY....well, let's just say I got
4xs as much for my money...space everywhere, driveway, garage size, yard size, front, side back yard...all bigger....but for 4 xs less money....now
maybe it's 2 xs...that was '86.
So sorry I can't help more, but I wanted to give you encouragement ...it is a
whole diff wonderful world away from the East Coast here.

And, a friend just spent 18 days visiting NY, Long Island, Queens, NH, Maine and Syracuse...driving a great car...and she texted ...She ''is so over the East Coast and
SO
appreciates CO''....Littleton is Beautiful!!

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-05-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
I spent most my life in Pittsburgh, PA. There are a lot of differences to consider. I miss a lot of things from PA, I would recommend exploring the area. Also you won't be close to a beach, so rule that out right away. Cherry Hill is an older historic neighborhood lined with old trees and big old houses. That doesn't exists in CO. Everything is new and there aren't many trees at all. Cherry Creek in Denver would be the closest thing to Cherry Hill but I dont think you can even compare them and Cherry Creek is pretty pricey, probably the priciest in CO. That being said, comparing the cost of living I think CO will blow NJ away. Your property taxes will probably be 1/3 less, sales tax 6%-9% depending where, utilities are dirt cheap here, water is a bit more but thats not a biggie, gas is among the cheapest in the nation, entertainment will be cheaper mostly, alcohol def cheaper, income tax is flat at 4%sh.

The negatives would be small lots, no trees, sunny days actually get annoying, no beach, food scene probably not as good. Winters will be far better than NJ, lots of outdoor activities for kids to keep them active.

Like I said, I miss the trees, my family and fall in PA....thats it.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:33 PM

Forgot to include in the original post that ideally I'd like to live no further than a 15-20 mile radius of Littleton

Old 10-05-2015, 06:50 PM

More thoughts...there are many Minnesotans here, if any become co-workers and they
ask where the Restroom is...be sure to watch them,
they can get lost coming back to the table.
Many Midwestern people... for a party, best not to ask them to bring a dish.

The bad stuff may be that the Californians and East Coasters have not learned to slow down and be nice...chit-chat a bit, be friendly!
Say hello to the passer by on the sidewalk or on the trail.
Also, be prepared, few people are are time.
Also, you will LOVE that we can watch the news and all Prime Time shows are an HOUR earlier!

Oh, there ARE plenty of huge trees and very old houses/mansions/estates...right
in tree lined downtowns all over CO...sorry to disagree with someone else.
My house, I bought because of the 2 enormous 100 yr old trees....the whole neighborhood
tho is a bike ride to the center of the city.
The outskirts, suburbia have new little bitty trees and cul de sacs.

Littleton is on old town...with much charm! (And money).

There is an odd phenomenon here...most newcomers comment on ...I remember
a wife of a State Supreme Court Judge from Chicago commented to me ...
what I had noticed 10 years earlier (mark my words)...
"Nobody calls you back!"

Say, you call a contractor, a hair cutter, a plumber, a carpet guy...if they are busy...they can not
be bothered to return your call and say they are booked a month out..
They simply will not call back. Stop waiting.

And if they do come... NEVER under any circumstances leave them alone...you want 'that' branch cut...you come out 4 healthy shade branches will be gone.

Also, you will, in a year, learn to dress down where ever you go.

All true.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-05-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 PM

Thanks Miss Hepburn! I'll be sure to mind my "east coast manners" when I get there. We're not all rude over here!

Old 10-05-2015, 07:59 PM

Littleton is not Denver ....don't know why this was moved.
She wants to be 15-20 m out.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Miss H, our Denver Forum covers the entire Denver Metro Area and Littleton is indeed within the DMA.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:01 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Littleton is the Denver metro area.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:17 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
If your job is in Littleton then you will have plenty of real estate to look at. Littleton is a great town and is a hop, skip and jump from downtown Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver