Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:52 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Main difference between now and the 60's that is true all over the West (and that I didn't see mentioned in a quick speed-read) is the incredible sprawl. I am bummed out about sprawl in Albuquerque until I drive up to Denver and realize how much worse it is there, and how far outside Denver the traffic bogs down on the I-25 mega-highway (about 12 lanes across and still bumper-to-bumper in the early p.m.). And I hear long-time residents complain about it even compared to 20 years ago. Yes, there are lots of great things to do and see in Denver, if you can get there.
That's why a lot of us choose to live in Denver itself rather than in the suburbs. Not that I never have to deal with traffic, but the vast majority of my activities can be easily accessed via local roads. Highways are a maybe once a week thing, if that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 10:02 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That's why a lot of us choose to live in Denver itself rather than in the suburbs. Not that I never have to deal with traffic, but the vast majority of my activities can be easily accessed via local roads. Highways are a maybe once a week thing, if that.
Agreed! We made it a point to buy in Denver proper. Now I can bike to city park, central park, and can take a local road downtown. If I had to take I-25 daily I think I might have moved out of Denver by now

Old 10-16-2015, 10:05 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
There is nothing wrong living in the suburbs. What I get out of some people is the anti suburb vibe coming from some members on this forum.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:17 AM

245 posts, read 323,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Agreed! We made it a point to buy in Denver proper. Now I can bike to city park, central park, and can take a local road downtown. If I had to take I-25 daily I think I might have moved out of Denver by now
I just moved from City Park to up near Reunion. While I'm not quite regretting it yet, I will say the drive to downtown via 76 and 25 is pretty horrible. If I leave at 5:00 AM I can make it in 20-25 minutes, leave at 6:00 AM and its more like 45-55 minutes. Leave at 7:00 AM and its easily an hour +.

If it gets worse I can see myself leaving Denver in 5 years.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:18 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
There is nothing wrong living in the suburbs. What I get out of some people is the anti suburb vibe coming from some members on this forum.
You are taking it wrong.

People complain about sprawl and highway traffic which are intrinsic of living in a suburb.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:20 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Main difference between now and the 60's that is true all over the West (and that I didn't see mentioned in a quick speed-read) is the incredible sprawl. I am bummed out about sprawl in Albuquerque until I drive up to Denver and realize how much worse it is there, and how far outside Denver the traffic bogs down on the I-25 mega-highway (about 12 lanes across and still bumper-to-bumper in the early p.m.). And I hear long-time residents complain about it even compared to 20 years ago. Yes, there are lots of great things to do and see in Denver, if you can get there.
Perception of sprawl is completely relative. Denver really isn't all that sprawly compared to a place like Dallas-Fort Worth (which is roughly the size of the entire state of Connecticut).

Old 10-16-2015, 10:21 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You are taking it wrong.

People complain about sprawl and highway traffic which are intrinsic of living in a suburb.
Exactly. Someone complained about it taking to long to get to things in Denver. For a lot of people, the solution to that is to live in Denver. If your choice of activities is primarily things outside of Denver, then you are better off picking a location that makes those activities easier to get to. I'm not anti-suburbs, I'm anti-sitting in traffic and long commutes!

Old 10-16-2015, 10:27 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
You are taking it wrong.

I prefer the suburbs over living the city because of high density, cost of living and less freedom. People complain about traffic because Colorado infrastructure is behind where it should be compared to other states. Colorado doesn't spend enough money on its roads and bridges in my opinion.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:48 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Yeah...I'm sick of the city. Lived in DC for 18 years, which feels a lot more urban than the city of Denver does. Spent nearly 3 years living in Seattle (proper) before moving here to Denver. Forgive me if I want my space LOL

I have no issue with the folks here on CD, nobody means any harm. But some of my hipster friends of the same age tell me about how cool it is living in the city. Mind you, many of them are from small town America (one guy is from rural Wisconsin, one guy is from Eugene, Oregon, and a third dude is from Oklahoma City). But now that they live in the city, they're so proud and excited to be living the "urban lifestyle," that they're always giving me a hard time about living down south in Parker. Dude, i'm born and raised in Northwest DC. I'm more "city" than any of you could ever imagine being LOL.
I try not to bust their bubbles, though LOL.

I work smack downtown at 18th & Broadway, but I commute home to Parker every day. Forgive me and those like me who choose not to live in the city. I've had enough city living for one lifetime. I like the open space behind my house in Parker LOL.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
You are taking it wrong.

Not necessarily. We live in Centennial and can get around just fine without driving on the highway. Everything we need on a daily basis, work included, is available within just a couple of miles using only surface streets, and we can comfortably walk to much of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver